Cowra _ Blayney line Closed again

NSWGR_46Class

Just call my Captain Rude
For the second time in its life span of 120 years the Cowra - Blayney rail line in NSW has been closed again.

It was ruled out of use on Friday 6th of June when RIC reported to ARTC it was no longer open to traffic.

A great big lump of wood painted white with a stop sign attached has been place across the track at the Sydney end of Cowra yard just before the level crossing.

The king is dead - long live the king

The closure was a strong possibility when last month RIC spent a few days running the AK inspection car set over the line and its one remaining branch from Koorawatha to Greenthorpe (shown in the WeddinNSW layout).

Is the section from Demondrille to Cowra still open? This would at least allow Lachlan Valley Rail (now renamed Independent Rail Australia) to continue to operate via the Main South line.

Last edited:
The closure was a strong possibility when last month RIC spent a few days running the AK inspection car set over the line and its one remaining branch from Koorawatha to Greenthorpe (shown in the WeddinNSW layout).

Is the section from Demondrille to Cowra still open? This would at least allow Lachlan Valley Rail (now renamed Independent Rail Australia) to continue to operate via the Main South line.

Not sure how they ran the AK cars over Greenthorpe branch as it was closed months ago, point blades removed !!!!

Demondille - Cowra still open and can be used by traffic, LVR sold its share in LVRF now IRA 2 -3 years ago.

Heard rumour LVR may be in to purchase the line or something of the sorts...

Tom

Think the cost of keeping this line open would be way beyond the resources of a mesuem/co-op group, would be nice but do not think it would happy. keeping part of the line like Cowra to Woodstock might be a better idea.

Same was said about the Canowindra line.

Hi Dave. So is the Cowra Lachlan bridge still trafficable - I thought it had been closed?

And thanks for the update on the fate of the Greenethorpe branch. Very sad (well, to me at least).

Phil

YES had trains over it last month

The older lady next door to my in my new place at kite st has the same surname as you - is it a relo or auntie maybe

Not that I know of - but got lots of rels round those parts so could be a distant one I am unaware of.

Thanks for update on the bridge. And the mail reply.

Phil

Took some video of LVR operations over the Queens BDay long weekend as it was 120 years since the line reached Cowra did not know it at the time that it would be some of the last runing over the Blayney end of the line. Editing into a 1 hour DVD with copies floating around later this year, been told that should put it out as a comerical DVD but still not sure if should happen or not.

Back