Content Manager not Showing any thumbnails

helian43

Content Manager not Showing any t/nails or descriptions when filter "Date Installed" is used to provide listings in Trainz 2019 or 2022

Content Manager does not show asset descriptions at all, unless you double-click on an asset to open its properties window. Likewise the thumbnails are only shown in the same properties window.

I just ran some tests in TRS22PE by adding the Installation Date column to the CM columns. Double clicking an asset opened its properties window and displayed its description, in all assets. Some assets did not display a thumbnail (a blank, dark grey image was shown instead). I deleted the Installation Date column from the display and tried again. Those same assets that did not have a thumbnail with the Installation Date column present did not have a thumbnail when the column was removed.

I suspect that the problem is not with the column but with the assets or something else.

Content Manager not Showing any t/nails or descriptions when filter "Date Installed" is used to provide listings in Trainz 2019 or 2022
The "date installed" filter defaults to today's date. If nothing has been installed today then nothing will be shown. This is true even if you set the "Installed" filter to false which would normally change the list to show items on the download station instead of your computer. However, if you use the calendar icon to set the date back one day then items appear as expected. I just tried the filter at 12:15 a.m. my time and it is showing nothing as the OP suggests which is likely due to the fact that "today" is only 15 minutes old and nothing yet meets the criteria of the filter. I don't see an issue related to the recent trouble with thumbnails but rather a problem related to using the program in a 24 hour time frame.

I tested both the "on download station" and "installed" filters by adding the "date installed" filter line to each and got blank results. I'm not seeing a problem at this time.

Ahhh. Now I get it. It is the actual filter (the OP did use that term but I somehow missed it) "Today" that is not showing the thumbnails.

Attempt Number 2: Applying the "Today" filter and double clicking on individual assets to bring up their thumbnails.
Result: All thumbnails are appearing

I agree. It is far easier for me to use the text based mode of CM rather than the thumbnail view. Particularly, when so many assets are missing thumbnails or using misleading thumbnails. I notice a couple of days ago that multiple routes from different users had been uploaded with the same thumbnail of a prototype D&RGW steam locomotive pulling a passenger train. The routes had vastly different names but the same description. What is up with that?

Trainz makes it simple to create and add a thumbnail screenshot to a route. It even provides a button on the Edit screen to do just that so you don't need to use a graphics editor or even edit the config.txt file to do the job.

I find it annoying when I encounter different assets with the same thumbnail image or with the absurd "This is not a Thumbnail" thumbnail image, and those with non-descriptive names and no descriptions at all. In my opinion it is laziness and not having any confidence or pride in your work. If the creator cannot be bothered adding a unique and representative thumbnail, a helpful name and description then what does it say about the quality of the asset itself?

All my uploaded assets have unique thumbnails, names and descriptions. The descriptions have as much detail as possible without becoming an essay. I even make use of the foreign language tags username-xx and description-xx where "xx" is the two letter language code so users who do not have English as a language can understand the purpose of the asset. Yes, it does take extra time and effort but if it helps users to decide if the asset is worth their time and effort to download then that effort is worth it.

I find it annoying when I encounter different assets with the same thumbnail image or with the absurd "This is not a Thumbnail" thumbnail image, and those with non-descriptive names and no descriptions at all. In my opinion it is laziness and not having any confidence or pride in your work. If the creator cannot be bothered adding a unique and representative thumbnail, a helpful name and description then what does it say about the quality of the asset itself?
Totally agree. At some point, I stopped downloading such assets.

The rule that I follow with my current creations is that they all have a unique and personalized image as well as a description that is as detailed as possible.
My native language is Spanish and that is why I place the following tags in the config.tex:
Code:
description-es       "Spanish"
description          "English"
username-es          "Spanish"
username             "English"
It should be established as a rule of respect for the creators of the game (Australia with English language), that the objects that are uploaded to the DLS have the username and description in English, apart from each non-English speaking author can place other labels with their languages.
With current online translators, languages are not difficult.

For me, the biggest inconvenience of the Content Manager is the lack of a route designation in the sessions for which this was done.
In the double-click information window there is a thumbnail and a description that seems to be read from the config.
It seems that it would not be difficult to make the tag output from the config as well: "map-kuid <kuid2:154322:100063:19>".

If I understood correctly in a few months of playing, Trainz veterans do not need sessions at all, and such anxious beginners as me are a rarity for the forum. :)

Last edited:
To Mr. "Retrorails12" , I don't understand why you react with an "ungry" to my post. My language is not English, perhaps the translator has made a mistake, I apologize if I have bothered or offended you, it was not my intention.

For me, the biggest inconvenience of the Content Manager is the lack of a route designation in the sessions for which this was done.
In the double-click information window there is a thumbnail and a description that seems to be read from the config.
It seems that it would not be difficult to make the tag output from the config as well: "map-kuid <kuid2:154322:100063:19>".

If I understood correctly in a few months of playing, Trainz veterans do not need sessions at all, and such anxious beginners as me are a rarity for the forum. :)
I agree. I think this was suggested many years ago but you might want to suggest it again.

Hmmm. Sessions are an important part of creating an operating route.

Important information such as the
  • commodities produced and consumed by industries and their initial levels
  • products carried by rolling stock and their initial loads
  • weather conditions
  • time of day and season of the year
  • operating rules for trains
  • driver commands for AI operation
..are all stored in the session. You can certainly create a route without adding a session but it would be a very static and boring affair. I normally create a "Free Roam" session for my routes that has the above plus all rolling stock, except for the operating rules. This gives users a starting point for running their own working trains.

In Trainz Plus, TRS19 and TRS22 placing the rolling stock in a session is essential if you are using the UDS system to switch quickly between surveyor and driver modes.

Hmmm. Sessions are an important part of creating an operating route.

Important information such as the
  • commodities produced and consumed by industries and their initial levels
  • products carried by rolling stock and their initial loads
  • weather conditions
  • time of day and season of the year
  • operating rules for trains
  • driver commands for AI operation
..are all stored in the session. You can certainly create a route without adding a session but it would be a very static and boring affair. I normally create a "Free Roam" session for my routes that has the above plus all rolling stock, except for the operating rules. This gives users a starting point for running their own working trains.

In Trainz Plus, TRS19 and TRS22 placing the rolling stock in a session is essential if you are using the UDS system to switch quickly between surveyor and driver modes.
I agree, but there are no sessions for most routes. Unfortunately, I will give up many interesting routes if there are no sessions for this.
One of the route creators answered my question: "Why do more routes than sessions are created in Trainz, although in another Train Simulator game, it's the opposite?"
- that it is quite difficult to create sessions in Tranz and creating sessions takes about the same time as creating a route.

Also here on the forum I have repeatedly seen the statements of those who have been playing for a long time that sessions are not necessary for them at all.

Iit is quite difficult to create sessions in Tranz and creating sessions takes about the same time as creating a route.

I agree. Creating a full session with navigation points to guide the user from start to finish, message popups to provide detailed instructions and information, is a complex and time consuming task. It is more like programming than the physical building that describes route construction and a different set of skills is involved. Not every route creator has those skills.

For one of my DLS routes I supplied 13 sessions. The total development time for the 13 sessions was about as long as the route construction time.

One of those sessions was a "Free Roam" session which had no navigation points and only one message popup (to give the starting instructions) but it set all the industries to their initial conditions and provided all the necessary rolling stock. Users were then free to "play" as they wished. This session took almost no time at all to create, test and debug.

I have since started experimenting with using the Trainz Wiki to create web based sessions. These sessions or scenarios are run entirely over the web and provide users with all the instructions and information that they need but this also requires skills such as using the Wiki and web design - again not all creators will have those skills.

Also here on the forum I have repeatedly seen the statements of those who have been playing for a long time that sessions are not necessary for them at all.

You can download a route from the DLS without any sessions and then create your own - ranging from a simple "Free Roam" session to the more complex fully directed. Again it depends on your skill levels. But to say that sessions are "not necessary" is a misunderstanding of what sessions do.

I agree. Creating a full session with navigation points to guide the user from start to finish, message popups to provide detailed instructions and information, is a complex and time consuming task. It is more like programming than the physical building that describes route construction and a different set of skills is involved. Not every route creator has those skills.

For one of my DLS routes I supplied 13 sessions. The total development time for the 13 sessions was about as long as the route construction time.

One of those sessions was a "Free Roam" session which had no navigation points and only one message popup (to give the starting instructions) but it set all the industries to their initial conditions and provided all the necessary rolling stock. Users were then free to "play" as they wished. This session took almost no time at all to create, test and debug.

I have since started experimenting with using the Trainz Wiki to create web based sessions. These sessions or scenarios are run entirely over the web and provide users with all the instructions and information that they need but this also requires skills such as using the Wiki and web design - again not all creators will have those skills.

You can download a route from the DLS without any sessions and then create your own - ranging from a simple "Free Roam" session to the more complex fully directed. Again it depends on your skill levels. But to say that sessions are "not necessary" is a misunderstanding of what sessions do.
I just realized that it was with you that I discussed this earlier. :)

Back