Coming Soon: Calabash & Tuscarora R.R.

jrcrawford4

Poor & Needy
Given the reshuffling and new look of Forums, I apologize in advance if I'm posting these in the wrong place. Here are a few shots of my Calabash & Tuscarora R.R. It'll be available soon.

Cheers,
Rob

051_TuscaroraRiver_sm.jpg

065_TuscaroraRiver_sm.jpg

076_Tobacco_sm.jpg

089_PickupReefers_sm.jpg

165_Tusc_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks, Jack (and Pencil42); coming from an indispensible content creator that's quite a compliment. I've learned a lot (or tried to) from other route builders, and nothing would be possible without all of the great content the community has made (I'm still trying to figure out how to incorporate Pencil's pin-connected truss bridge and Ben Dorsey's bridge - in the screenshot - on one layout)! I just put it together - and I'm happy if I can do it in a way that people like. Thanks again,

Rob

wow, that looks spectacular:cool: really looking forward to this one
by the way is it proto and what region of the country is it set in?

Hi nikos1,

Thanks! This is a short fictional route (about 15 baseboards) that is supposed to be set in eastern North Carolina about 1915-192x. It's based on several prototypical railroads that existed at that time and in that area. The DEM map is actually a part of the Aberdeen & Rockfish, the industries are typical of eastern N.C. at that time (especially the cypress and pine logging industry), etc. There is a real fishing village of Calabash, N.C., but it has no railroad. "Tuscarora" is the name of a Native American tribe that was pretty significant in colonial North Carolina. And there's also a real town of that name, too. This road interchanges with an as-yet-unnamed Class I, which in my mind is either SAL or ACL. Or it could be the old Norfolk & Southern.

A couple of things I did: most of the trees are native species to eastern N.C. Or at least look that way. Also have made a bunch of sound files of bird calls - all of which are either year-round residents or early visitors each year. Tried very hard to recreate as much of the atmosphere and feel of coastal places in my home state that I've often visited. There are numerous tobacco and corn fields - and if anybody makes some cotton crop and soybean splines, I'll add them in! :) - those are typical crops.

More pics on the way. :)

Thanks much, George! Your routes are among the very best, so once again, I'm flattered.

Thinking of how well you've used DLS content (have always liked the way you did the trees for CC&LE - as in your sig) reminds me that I should probably make a couple "disclaimers" here and get it out of the way.

1. I did use some payware and some non-DLS content - ALL of which is available from sirgibby's Trainzone.

2. True to my tendency and as you can probably tell from the pics, I didn't worry overmuch about "resource usage." ;) The map runs quite well on a CoreDuo 2.4 with two 7900GTX cards and 2 gigs of RAM. I'm not saying that to brag - I only mean to explain that I'm aware that my PC is, for now, pretty high end and that many people may not be able to run this.

3. Am thinking of making this route "donationware" - depending.... I don't want to go the payware route and some creators' licenses forbid the use of their stuff in payware routes anyway. I'm not trying (or even expecting) to make big bucks. But if content creators are ok with it, and if it doesn't lead to a lot of "hue and cry," I might make donations an option (would have to host the route somewhere other than the DLS).

Call it "minstreling." :)

This route just keeps looking better!
Are you wanting to integrate my bridge with one of Ben's? If so, the source files for my bridge are posted on my website (near the bottom of the downloads page); and Ben's usually pretty good about requests - if he's willing, it shouldn't be too hard to integrate my model into one of his.

Fantastic! Just great. The realism in the pictures is stunning. What are the crops in the third picture? They look a bit like cabbages.

Love the townscenes. Excellent work, well done!

Best wishes,
Padster

Thanks, everybody!

@Pencil42 - I've managed to put in the Pin Truss bridge; it's not really where I want it but I love that bridge (and it's attendant cut stone abutments). Thanks for the suggestion about combining it; had not even considered that possibility and will definitely want to do that - if not for C&T then definitely for "the other" project! :D

@Padster - The crop in the third pic (I think you're talking about the first set of pics) is tobacco. "Planta Tabaco Spline" by waterbond (KUID2: 112428:37010:1). Eastern N.C. is full of flat, expansive tobacco fields.

@Spooy - Thank you! :)

Rob

Mo' pics

Screen_037.jpg

Leaving Calabash

Screen_044.jpg

Straight and flat most of the way

Screen_053.jpg

Arrived at Tuscarora; ready to drop the train and go back to the lumber yard (beyond the train) to pick up the log cars.

Screen_061.jpg

The log run takes you into th' swomp...

Screen_063.jpg

...where you can hear the noisy frogs in the reeds.

Have a safe run,

Rob

Hi Rob

Those are excellent screenshots. Shes gonna' be a doozy of a layout:) :)
The high standard of detail adds to the realism .. almost like being there:)

Mike

Last edited:
Back