Cleaning up the DLS

When an 04, 06 asset is updated to 09, 10, 12 trainzbuild, and uploaded to the DLS ... the trainz-build numeral is changed, requiring backdating the config file trainz-build numeral, ... and also the config file is changed so much that it does not work properly in 04, 06

The original asset is not altered in any way. Users of 04, 06 etc have no need to download the updated version and can simply ignore it. Nothing is discarded. Nothing needs to be backdated.

The original asset is not altered in any way. Users of 04, 06 etc have no need to download the updated version and can simply ignore it. Nothing is discarded. Nothing needs to be backdated.

But the assets we are talking about where first made for a later version then a version for an early version of Trainz was released.

Cheerio John

I repeat: You will care when ...

When T:ANE breaks all assets use in 09, 10, 12 ... You will then see the depth, and extent, of this problem, of the inexperienced rouge hoards updating, with the clean-up of the DLS, to any whim that which they feel fit to alter.
No we won't care because any updates made by anybody don't overwrite the old assets on the DLS. All you need to do is be smart enough not to download assets with a build number higher than you can use. TS12 SP1 does this automatically now - but of course TRS2006 which you think is the best thing since sliced bread is so bugged that it doesn't.
If you don't update your assets on CM doesn't that leave them at the older version.
i have 14.000 updates on my TS12, i stopped using that since it changed an asset in ECML which rendered it faulty.
Of course it does. Cascade is always coming out with this nonsense.
Yes ... unless you apply updates ... then it usually breaks them.
If you downloaded unsuitable assets then you broke them, not the content creators or the DLS clean up updaters.
If you lose your PC due to failure ... and go to the White Pages DLS ... and go to re-download an asset, that is clearly labeled TRS2004, or TRS2006, you don't get that ... You instead get an updated 09, 10, 12 version of the asset, an asset that someone probably (screwed with it) altered without permission, and this usually breaks the asset in lower versions.
Not if you can read you don't.
That's the real beauty of the DLS ... N3V doesn't even have to create any of the assets on the DLS ... 3rd party creators do all the hard work, and donate their assets to the N3V DLS ... and N3V doesn't even have to alter, and break all the older assets ... as someone 3rd party is ready and willing to jump up to the plate and screw with all the assets without permission from the original creator, usually breaking the assets ... so the DLS "Clean-Up" and DLS "Update", is a self destruct of the DLS, by hordes of experienced Community members, altering other peoples assets without permission.
The upload agreement allows N3V to update assets if needed for later Trainz versions so they don't need permission. This assets don't 'usually' get broken, they work in the version of Trainz for which they have been updated and the old versions are still available. Originally you said the fixing was being done by inexperienced community members and now suddenly they are experienced. Which is it?
Maybe, just maybe ... they should fix T:ANE so that it doesn't break all the assets on the DLS ... but that is not happening ... they are breaking, and reworking all the working assets, because they won't work in T:ANE
No, they shouldn't make T:ANE like TRS2006 where the program has to jump through all sorts of runtime hoops fixing busted assets on the fly. I'm pretty sure most people would rather have better framerates thank you very much.

Paul

Last edited:
But the assets we are talking about where first made for a later version then a version for an early version of Trainz was released.

That's not clear from your post. You use 'later' and 'earlier' without indicating whether you are referring to version number or upload date.

But the repairs are not redundant. If an asset is referred to in a route and the user downloads that route into a later version then the system will find the later version of the asset, and ensure that the route works properly. Without that repair the user would somehow need to know that they have to replace that asset with a different one.

N3V sent Peter a list of items that needed fixing and he told them Dave has better versions of the old items now , please remove them - they said no !!!!

Its not about quality of content - do not kid yourself it is about cash flow - other wise what was 2004 models would not have been used in a for sale TANE add on route instead of TS10/TS12 content.

The loco on the left is an old 2004 steamer
7d_zpso60pro7e.jpg

2004 version vs the ts10/12 version

Tane3_zpsc4b61757.jpg

Example: Clearly labeled TRS2004

The asset is not TRS2004 ... it is now trainz-build 2.9

So the TRS2004 asset no longer exists, and is destroyed by someone updating the asset to a higher train-build

If this is not clear enough of an example for you to understand, I can provide thousands of other examples of how someone has obliterated a 04, 06 asset, and has changed it to a higher trainz-build

The original 04 asset is no longer available for download

Download Page
Mill Gondola, 52', Railgon - Maddy25
21st January 2015

Description
Johnstown (FreightCar America) 52'6 Mill Gondola, decorated for Railgon. Includes end-of-train device (FRED), animated brake hoses, two texture sets, and supports many different loads. This should work with both TRS2004 and TRS2006.

light weight: 66,600 lbs (29,937 kg)
load limit: 219,400 lbs (99,518 kg)
capacity: 2,993 cubic feet (84,752 L)
min. coupled curve radius: 220 feet (67 m)
center of gravity, fully loaded: 70.2 inches (1.78 m)

Revision History:
- v3: Re-uploaded to the DLS since thi ...Read More
Type: Rolling Stock | Version: TRS2004 | KUID2: <KUID2:124017:5013:4> | Filesize: 640.42 kb | File Type: .cdp |

No we won't care because any updates made by anybody don't overwrite the old assets on the DLS. All you need to do is be smart enough not to download assets with a build number higher than you can use. TS12 SP1 does this automatically now - but of course TRS2006 which you think is the best thing since sliced bread is so bugged that it doesn't.

If you downloaded unsuitable assets then you broke them, not the content creators or the DLS clean up updaters.

The upload agreement allows N3V to update assets if needed for later Trainz versions so they don't need permission. This assets don't 'usually' get broken, they work in the version of Trainz for which they have been updated and the old versions are still available. Originally you said the fixing was being done by inexperienced community members and now suddenly they are experienced. Which is it?
No, they shouldn't make T:ANE like TRS2006 where the program has to jump through all sorts of runtime hoops fixing busted assets on the fly. I'm pretty sure most people would rather have better framerates thank you very much.Paul

The fact is that N3V does none of the updating ... the updating is done by Community Members

If I downloaded assets that are clearly labeled TRS2004, and they are now trainz-build 2.9, how did I break them?

The Community Members involved in the DLS clean up updaters broke the 04 asset by changing it.

The old 04 versions are no longer available

It seems that Community Members are so utterly, completely blind as to what damage is being done to the DLS !

You summed it up perfectly ... Nobody cares !

And the usual response is for multiple community members to lash out, with a barrage of insults

Last edited:

So the TRS2004 asset no longer exists, and is destroyed by someone updating the asset to a higher train-build

If this is not clear enough of an example for you to understand, I can provide thousands of other examples of how someone has obliterated a 04, 06 asset, and has changed it to a higher trainz-build

Not true. The old asset is still there.

You cannot download it directly but you can still download the old version via FTP. I have done this more than once recently because I needed an old 2.0 asset and the only one available was a 4.2 which doesn't work in TS12.

The code on the DLS has been fixed actually to not allow Content Manager to download the incorrect version automatically of an asset not meant for your particular installed version. This was actually an issue before if you recall and caused quite a mess for quite a few people.

In addition to that, you are using a truly out of date version of Trainz. Given the age of your installed product, you can't download anything automatically anyway according to the lifecycle policy in place for older versions.

As time has gone on, the download manager engine has changed since TRS2006 and is quite different in T:ANE even to what was in TS12, so expecting something that is now going on 10 years old to work just the same as something that is written a year ago, is asking for a lot. Even with Windows there are issues with older applications now with Windows 10. They struggled even to operate in Windows 7, if they ran at all, and definitely never will run in Windows 8 and up due to many reasons including file-access security, which was nearly non-existent in Windows 98 and Windows XP.

Then that is a bug in the DLS white pages. If enough people care enough to report it as a bug it may well get fixed. But it's not a problem that most people using a supported version of Trainz wll even notice. Stop complaining, report it.
Rubbish.

The same rubbish again.
The fact is that N3V does none of the updating ... the updating is done by Community Members

If I downloaded assets that are clearly labeled TRS2004, and they are now trainz-build 2.9, how did I break them?

The Community Members involved in the DLS clean up updaters broke the 04 asset by changing it.
Also rubbish, N3V updated quite a few old assets for inclusion in T:ANE.
The old 04 versions are no longer available
Repeating a lie multiple times doesn't make it true.
It seems that Community Members are so utterly, completely blind as to what damage is being done to the DLS !
Probably because no damage has been done.
You summed it up perfectly ... Nobody cares !
Thank you. At least you understood that bit.
And the usual response is for multiple community members to lash out, with a barrage of insults
Unsurprisingly as you keep repeating the same misinformation. The danger is that some people might actually believe you.

I downloaded the example asset you gave via FTP for TRS2004 (v3 of the asset) with no trouble at all on a NetBook that doesn't even have Trainz installed on it. Just because you can't figure it out doesn't mean it's impossible. Once I'm back home on my Trainz machine I'll gladly post some screenshots on how to do it that even my cat could follow and every time you claim this isn't possible I'll just repost them.

Paul

Last edited:
Rubbish

The same rubbish again.

Also rubbish, N3V updated quite a few old assets for inclusion in T:ANE

Unsurprisingly as you keep repeating the same misinformation. The danger is that some people might actually believe you.

I'll gladly post some screenshots on how to do it that even my cat could follow and every time you claim this isn't possible I'll just repost them.

Paul

I downloaded the Mill Gon via FTP, and it came as trainz-build 2.9 (not TRS2004)
There is no other option tick box on the White Pages available to download the original TRS2004 version

You keep on avoiding the problem that keeps staring you right in the face, that the original TRS2004 version download is no longer available ... backing your feelings and frustration with insults towards me, and stating the same ol' sing song: "Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish".

As for the handful of assets that actually may have been updated by N3V ... They only would do that as T:ANE is so non-backward incompatible, and the game is coded all too wrong, that T:ANE couldn't even run the assets ... so instead of fixing the game to work properly ... they fudged with the assets

I can keep on posting many, many examples of how the DLS 04, 06, assets are being destroyed (as the original downloads are no longer there) ... as they are now updated to either 09, 10, 12 or T:ANE tranz-build

Keep on backing it up as rubbish, rubbish, rubbish ... and people might just start believing it

T:ANE ... blindly walking (running headlong) into a disaster zone, never mind the consequences

Last edited:
I downloaded the Mill Gon via FTP, and it came as trainz-build 2.9 (not TRS2004)
There is no other option tick box on the White Pages available to download the original TRS2004 version
OK, if you think that it's not possible to download the old v3 version of the asset from the white pages how did I get this file? (link removed as point has been proved). I should say I can't verify that this is trainz-build 2.4 as I don't have access to Trainz at the moment but it should be. Perhaps somebody else (or even you) could download it and check.
You keep on avoiding the problem that keeps staring you right in the face, that the TRS2004 version download is no longer available ... backing your feelings and frustration with insults towards me, and stating the same ol' sing song: "Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish".

Keep on backing it up as rubbish, rubbish, rubbish ... and people might just start believing it

T:ANE ... blindly walking (running headlong) into a disaster zone, never mind the consequences
It's not me who is frustrated, I think you are just annoyed because you can't work out how to do it. As I said, I can't give you step by step screenshots until at least tomorrow as I'm travelling.

Paul

Last edited:
Just downloaded it via Paul's link and it is indeed a build 2.4 asset. In fact, versions :1, :2, :3 and :4 (which is built-in to TANE) are all build 2.4.

Checked the details on the White Pages DLS and sure enough it has 124017:5013:3 listed as a TRS2004 asset, uploaded 30 Jan 2008 and downloaded over 67,000 times. I downloaded it using the Download Page -> Download Helper option which called up Content Manager from TS2010. Once again, this version was confirmed to be a build 2.4 asset. I have no doubt I would get the same asset if I'd used the FTP option.

Last edited:
Cascade, you need to understand that what you say frustrates people because what you say is often just misinformation which is something we don't want on these forums, we can't go round scaremongering and misleading other users, it doesn't help anyone and makes you look a bit of a fool.

I’ve just done a white pages DLS search for that item.

Entering 124017:5013 in the search box and checking just the TRS2004 box and kuid button finds four results.
Kuid2:124017:5013:1
Kuid2:124017:5013:2
Kuid2:124017:5013:3
Kuid2:124017:5013:4

All look identical, except for the incremental kuid number and date.

I only bothered to FTP download the most recent :)4) version dated 21[SUP]st[/SUP] January 2015. The config.txt file for that one is trainz-build 2.4. I assume the three earlier dated versions will be the same.

version%202.4_zpsjnnysjux.jpg~original

I can keep on posting many, many examples of how the DLS 04, 06, assets are being destroyed (as the original downloads are no longer there) ... as they are now updated to either 09, 10, 12 or T:ANE tranz-build
OK, give us another example of an asset that has been 'destroyed' by an update, I think it's been proved that what you claimed about kuid:124017:5013 was rubbish especially as it turns out the update was for trainz-build 2.4...

Paul

It's not me who is frustrated, I think you are just annoyed because you can't work out how to do it. As I said, I can't give you step by step screenshots until at least tomorrow as I'm travelling.Paul

Usually when I download anything ... almost every asset I download (that was originally an 04, 06 asset) shows up as trainz-build 2.9 or higher ... So I am well aware of what is happening to the DLS.

With almost every asset I have to go into the config file and backdate the trainz-build numeral ... which is time consuming, but I have backdated 10's of thousands of these 04, 06 assets, that are now downloading a config file trainz-build 2.9 numeral, or higher.

But what I am tring to point out is: "Someday when all these 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 assets are updated to be T:ANE version, all these assets on the DLS will be unusable in all earlier versions.

Yet there is not one person who is seeing this ... so I guess everyone is blinded by T:ANE, or do not care !

When I download via FTP it comes out trainz-build 2.9

When I download via Content Manager it usually come up with the notice: "The asset is not available on the DLS, and is obsoleted by a higher version of Trainz".

As I am not on drugs, nor am I blind, and I am not all that stupid, and I am typing the truth, and not misinformation at all ... and as this has happened to me 10's of thousands of times, on almost every asset I download, and I have to backdate 10's of thousands of assets trainz-build numerals ... And yet no one else sees this ... unbelievable !

OK, give us another example of an asset that has been 'destroyed' by an update, I think it's been proved that what you claimed about kuid:124017:5013 was rubbish especially as it turns out the update was for trainz-build 2.4...Paul

The asset is only available as: <KUID2:124017:5013:4> Which is a trainz-build 2.9 asset

I will provide a better example, soon

I grow tired of talking to people who are wearing earplugs in their ears, who are wearing blinders over their eyes, and those who refuse to acknowledge the truth that is staring them right in the face ... those who are deaf, dumb, and blind to the Truth
https://www.google.com/search?q=sen...h&q=sen+no+evil+monkeys&imgrc=1Xfc5zERzKn1KM:

Last edited:
There is not one person who is seeing this ... so I guess everyone is blinded by T:ANE, or do not care !

I downloaded the gondola you linked us to earlier on. I downloaded the v3 revision of the asset, not the v4 revision that is the most recent version. I cracked open the config file and saw the build number 2.4...

We're not the delusional ones here. You can kick and scream that we are, but more and more of us are able to download this 2.4 asset. They don't get replaced, they still exist.

Jack

@cascaderailroad - Apart from the word 'unbelievable' everything else you said just doesn't accord with what several people have shown you to be true. Are you suggesting we are all in some conspiracy? I can only think there is something seriously wrong with your computer or software if you see that asset as a build 2.9. The white pages DLS download page for the asset shows 2 buttons - one for Download Helper and one for FTP - yet you only see the FTP button. That might be a clue that something about your system is not quite right, but i just cannot see how that could change an internal detail like the trainz build of the asset.

No ...

I see download via FTP, which results in a 2.9 trainz-build asset

And I see Content Manager, it usually come up with the notice: "The asset is not available on the DLS, and is obsoleted by a newer (higher) version of Trainz"

Back