Check out this NEW TRIAN SIMULATOR

Now theres an Idea.
Lets do these steps for a new version of trainz, possibly TRS2008.
Round up some creators, and ask each one of them, if their 'custom content' could be used in place of the junky default stuff. Like for Example, SPORBUSTs SD40-2s to replace those things auran calls an EMD. :p

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Sean

Seems to me the lads and lasses here from the community do a better job with the locos than that. :)

Cheers

AJ

AJ -

I happen to be one of those "lads and lasses" and I have to say (in my best J Mcenroe voice), "You cannot be serious?!!!"

:eek:

Perchpole

Am I the only one who noticed that the UP dash 9s have analog controls? Or am I missing something?

Am I the only one who noticed that the UP dash 9s have analog controls? Or am I missing something?

I apologize in advance for being a nitpicker, but I'm sure someone will point it out if I don't. That is actually an ES44AC, not a Dash-9.

What do you mean by analog controls? If you're referring to the old-style control stand, I believe those are pretty common on new units. I'm not sure about UP, but all of CP's latest orders of ES44AC's have come with them - which is a change, since all of their AC4400's have the "desk style" setup. Perhaps UP has made the same change.

Patrick

I hate control stands, desktop controls are more attractive and more of a better place to work in if you ask me. Ofcourse thats my opinion.
Ive been in locos with control stands and others with desktop controls.

This is the way I think everything sould be...

GE LOCOMOTIVES = DESKTOP CONTROLS

EMD LOCOMOTIVES = CONTROL STANDS

Vice versa doesent seem to make sense to me.

Anyway back to Kuju, man that thing looks like it eats up CPU power, my computer would explode if I ran that thing!

AJ -

I happen to be one of those "lads and lasses" and I have to say (in my best J Mcenroe voice), "You cannot be serious?!!!"

:eek:

Perchpole

I can't speak for AJ's reasons but I gotta agree with his comment. Those locos look poly heavy. Experience in this community shows not everyone can afford the newest computers and graphics that could handle that. And everyone commenting in favor of those locos is known to have high performance stuff.
I've seen content here with fewer polys that I consider can match and beat that through texture work thus requiring less high performance equipment.

I can't speak for AJ's reasons but I gotta agree with his comment. Those locos look poly heavy. Experience in this community shows not everyone can afford the newest computers and graphics that could handle that. And everyone commenting in favor of those locos is known to have high performance stuff.
I've seen content here with fewer polys that I consider can match and beat that through texture work thus requiring less high performance equipment.
For some reason, (god knows what it is) all these RS consists run very well on a somewhat less than the supermachine I would have needed just to run TC!! All the routes in RS are great and more importantly, fairly true to life.

However, most of you guys are creators, and very good ones, and that is where Auran excels, in it's ease of use in the surveyor. Even I could create one, although it would look pretty crap!!

In RS though, the whole "surveyor" thing is a bit of a minefield atm, although having said that, a couple of user routes have been made, by brain surgeons presumably!! :hehe:

Chris

Hi, StorkNest -

With the greatest respect to you (and AJ) I think your observations are pretty misguided. The locos in Rail Sim are leaps-and-bounds ahead of almost everything in the TRS community - both visually and technically. I'm a great fan of the work produced by people such as VMD, Paul Hobbs and CloakedGhost (who certainly set the gold standard in TRS) but the team at Kuju appear to have taken things on to a whole new level.

Instead of picking holes in Rail Sim - and/or making excuses for TRS - we (as a community) should give credit where credit is due and then set-about bringing the same level of quality to our own sim.

Onward and upwards!

:)

Perchpole

Hi All,
Wow! This thread seems to cover everything from machine speeds, graphic cards to loco's. Not to mention different Railroad Sims (Excuse my ignorance, but I've never heard of Kuju)
There seems to be pro's and con's about every Sim mentioned. Personally I think that the biggest advantage in Auran's favour is the 'Content Creators' and the DS, and without these Auran would be very low in the league table of Railroad Simulations.
As I've said before, how many of us actually use Auran's own stock?
About machine speeds V railway sims. I have a high-end machine and graphic card, yet TRS 06 still needs a lot of tweaking to get it to run smoothly, other graphic intense programs I run are just install and go, I assume the reason for this is the programming code used, so not a lot can be done about that.
In short, I think that Auran is still in pole position, but other software companies are realising the popularity of Railroad Sims and one of them (or perhaps a new company all-together) will incorporate the best features of each one. Personally, I hope its Auran. Lets see what 2008 brings.
Cheers
Pete.
PS. HI Chris, nice to see you back on form.

Actually pretty much completely wrong. The poly counts on the RS locos are rather less than several extremely popular TRS locos I seem to remember the Black 5 is around 30K and the Deltic 23K (the exact figures are on the Kuju site somewhere). The difference is the HUGE textures used by the locos - the Black 5 has (I think 3 1024x1024 textures plus a bump map of the same size). In TRS you'd get away with something like 2 512x512s.

It's better to use more polys than bigger textures in fact as there is less of a performance hit when you run out of graphics memory.

Paul

Gee, it just looks like they ripped of Auran to me after checking it out. EA should stick with the Sports sims (which are all very good). Auran still puts out the best Train-Sim out there IMO :D

MarvinMartian

I've bought KRS and got some results:

There's good and a whole lot of bad points about RS:

Good points:It has a good complex editor (complexity means flexibility).

it shows the path that the train is going to take. (purple line)

It has got very good detail with operating points and animated couplings (that targets the hook). (hope that I explained that clear enough)

Bad points:the high detail makes my computer laggy.

About every 2 times that i look at the online tutorial located here: http://railsimulator.blip.tv/ It crashes.

The small map shows not very much of the line.

What I find most annoying part of the problems is when you've set the controls to "intermediate" and you can't apply the train brakes unless you use the mouse and the fact that you can't delete custom routes (unless you install another program (I think)).

Overall I think that this simulator matches up with trs.

Back