California high speed rail

hwtidd

Californias Rail Genius
hello every one since life has gotten in my way of returning i am finally back and announcing (for the ones who don't know) that California is gonna have a high speed rail link from far Southern Cali to far Northern Cali:D
MAN! I am so excited! Wahooooooo!:D

Ya, the only thing that passed was money for the planning of a rail line and seeing how bad California's budget is, it isn't going to be completed anywhere in the next ten years I bet.

hert:wave:

Well in seriously hope you get it eventually and you will have caught up with the rest of the world.

You might want to check out this article by Michael Barone. He's a pretty smart guy.

http://www.sfexaminer.com/opinion/b...ther-continent-sized-countries-101159099.html

Bernie

Interesting article, but a largely dodgy argument. I think he could be right about the viability of Tampa-Orlando if you can drive it in 90 minutes. as they are both very de-centralised. I don't think that you can make the same argument about any very busy air corridor (e.g SF/LA), especially where there is half-decent radial public transit, and plenty of reasons to visit the centre - that would make it more like the Spanish or French experience.

His point about continent sized countries is totally irrelevant, and here he's showing either his ignorance or his bias, as China is rapidly becoming a world leader in HSR. The important point about HSR viability is all about pairs of cities or corridors with very high transport demands that are up to about 500 miles (800kms) apart. Cities with development in the centre help this, but are not essential. There are many places in the USA where it won't work, and many places where it will.

Paul

p.s. I've just read up on Michael Barone - he's not exactly undecided politically: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Barone_(pundit) It's seemed that most of the naysayers about transit, HSR, sustainable development (i.e. reducing sprawl and oil-dependency) and rail in general are from the political right. That's pretty much true elsewhere in the world, but not to the same extent as it used to be.

p.p.s I just noticed - his argument is VERY well trashed by the commenters at the bottom of the page...

Last edited:
Back