Build 122411 save crash

pfx

I see the helpdesk no longer helps for all issues and to direct 'others' to the forum. I've now saved a few bits of work in TR22 122411 and each time I do, it results in a crash. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

I upgraded a route to HD but I've no idea if this is the cause.

Cheers,
Innis

Ensure you have plenty of disk space because the new HD format creates much larger routes.

I recommend that you run a database repair to ensure that it's clean because once you have a crash and don't repair it, that will lead to repeated crashing only to make things worse.

Thanks John. I have 85Gb spare on the Trainz drive but I'll give that a bash and see what happens.

Innis

I've carried out the DBR and now I can't access the route at all. If I try to access the route or sessions for edit, I get the error Failed to load <kuid:298788:100671> that asset being a session save from the start of the month. It shows missing dependencies but that is common to the route as it was started in an earlier version of Trainz and a number of the original assets no longer work in TRS22.

I'm hoping I can retrieve a few years of work...

A DBR shouldn't have destroyed the route. That means there's something else going on, or it was corrupted all along and that explains why it kept crashing when you worked on it. The program would reach that part in the code where the route is corrupted and would crash.

All is not lost, though.

Try reverting instead of opening. That will bring you back to the last successful save rather than loading the corrupted version. This may not work if you opened up and resaved the corrupted route.

If that doesn't work, we can restore the route and or session from the backups folder. It's a bit more complicated than it should be, but it's not difficult to do.

- Check your backups folder located where your data is installed.

- Click on the Launcher then Trainz settings, then on the Install tab. Take note of where your Trainz data is stored. By default, it's in C:/Users/ (your login name)/App Data/Local/N3V Games/TRS22/Build-something. The Build-something is that Build folder with the various letters and numbers in the name.

- Open that folder in Windows Explorer and then open the Backups folder. In that folder are various sub-folders with dates for their name.

- The current folder is named: 23-07-29. (You may want to go back prior to this date. It may mean you've lost your current work but at least the route and session will still be there.

- Open that folder and look for the .tzarc file with your route-name and KUID.

The largest files are your route while your session will be whatever name and KUID you have and that will be much smaller.

- Copy these files once you find them to your desktop or some other folder.

- Open up Content Manager.

- Drag the route .tzarc file into Content Manager.

- Check the progress bar carefully. It'll should show 0 errors and 1 warning. The one warning because you have a route with the same KUID installed.

- Open up the Open for Edit view in Content Manager and revert the route if it shows open for edit.

- You can remove the extra New Assets that are listed since they are temporary from your route that crashed.

- Close CM and try opening up the route again in TRS22+

If this works, repeat with the session and you should be all set.

Thanks for that John,

I located an older version of the route in the backups and followed the instructions (there was no .tzarc file for a session though) and when I dragged the route file into CM, the 1 warning I got stated 'Unsupported file type for 'C:/Users/Innis/OneDrive/Desktop/kuidxxxx' xxx being the route. There was one file showing open for edit and I clicked revert on this. I can no longer see this asset though. On attempting to open the route again, I get the same failure to load the route.

I can see the route asset in CM from January which flags red as modified, missing dependencies, but not faulty. The missing dependencies are due to them not being compatible in this version of Trainz.

There are a few things I forgot to mention due to interruptions while putting the instructions together.

1) You can't import the folder with the route name or KUID. (It can't be that simple, right?)

2) The .tzarc file has to be just .tzarc. If there's a .tzarc file with an _ and numbers at the end, rename the file you copied elsewhere to .tzarc. Example... kuid 124863 100500.tzarc_58708233 becomes kuid 124863 100500.tzarc

3) The most important part! You need to run a DBR.

This will restore the file back in and hopefully things will work okay.

If I've understood your instructions correctly, I arrived at the following.

53082219029_20e46dd3ae_c.jpg

With the .tzarc file visible above the explorer window.

I dragged this into CM (the only open for edit assets are another thing I was working on) and get the following message.

53082017671_1dec8f75e1_c.jpg

The assets relating to the route are shown below.

53082216954_0e98cc01bb_c.jpg

Basically no joy so far.

You got the instructions right.

This isn't good news. It appears your route is stuffed due to the file becoming corrupted.

You can go back a couple of days, if you have been working on the route, and restore that version instead.

If not, you'll need to go to a CDP backup.

*@#$! Looks like I'm screwed. I see there is no equivalent file extension in TRS19. My only recourse is to reimport the route from that then.

**EDIT**

Having brought in the TRS19 version of the route, I can see I have a shed load of stuff to get to the point I was at but I have also noticed a minor issue. On some splines, I appear to be getting a 'sunken' effect or rendering failure as seen in the screenshots below. I haven't converted this version of the route to HD as yet.

53083778216_9b27be16ab_c.jpg

53083199457_109354724a_b.jpg

Thanks for the help John. Much appreciated.

Innis

Last edited:
I was having a similar issue. It turns out this can be fixed by changing the Trainz setting "shader quality" to basic. For me when I back into my routes the roads were back on the surface.

This is the PBR textures burying the roads. You lower the shader settings in the Trainz settings on the Launcher and the textures lose their 3d effect that causes this.

Okay thanks. Is there any other way to stop it happening then John? Even raising the spline points doesn't stop it in some instances, though lowering the shader settings does. I'd like to keep the PBR effects if I can or do the splines require some sort of repair to prevent this happening?

Cheers,
Innis

Back