Bigboy Restoration

I've heard they've set 4014 aside for now. They're focusing on getting 844 back in steam right now.

Mucho thanks for the links.

Sad that it will take longer then the first estimate but happy that it will still be done.

Interesting to note they stopped every 100 miles to lubricate the running gear. Kinda says the automatic oilers weren't operational doesn't it (gotta overhaul them too).

Ben

What are they doing to it? Something special or just the normal maintenance after so many miles of operation?

Ben

They have stripped it down to the bone, pretty much. They are making in look as if it was brand new. "Straight Outta Schenectady."

What! They don't use pure bottled water?:hehe:

On a more serious note that's a major operation.

Ben

some bad water got to the boiler, corroded the pipes. They are replacing them last I heard.
More like boiler had a crack in it, and it had to be completely replaced.
3985 is likely to be back this year as well as it they completely rebuilt it.
Bigboy, well they haven't updated on it in a while, but I assume that it'll be late 2019 or mid-2020 by the time it is done, just as predicted.

More like boiler had a crack in it, and it had to be completely replaced.
3985 is likely to be back this year as well as it they completely rebuilt it.
Bigboy, well they haven't updated on it in a while, but I assume that it'll be late 2019 or mid-2020 by the time it is done, just as predicted.
No, the 844 is corrutted....

Whether they were corroded or cracked, ether way they require replacements that aren't made in a factory.
This is why it is taking so long. The parts have to be specially made for it, and they take quite a bit of time to build, along with money. Some of the parts are in house made as well.

I know ;)
I was just pointing out that the back and forth between yourself and ktain.ny was pretty pointless, as it doesn't really matter why they have to replace them, just that they need to be replaced.

Back