Australian screenshots

Thanks Petan i have the green 3801 and lack and red 3805 but i couldn't find the 3801 in the original grey livery and im still learning on how to reskin good otherwise the grey would be there for sure haha its my favorite livery of the 3801 :)

Has anyone else done this bug just for fun haha? check out what my speed was when i derailed :p
coreycat_20090722_0011.jpg
[/IMG]

Peter,

In Brian Webbers Book 'Exploring Railways South Of Brisbane' and on the recollectings of my Uncle Andrew's days at the Gabba Depot.

DD17 and D17 where preffered to be used to Kingston & Lota because they where easier to shunt around due to no sufficient turning facilities and preffered by crews, because tender locomotives were imposed with a strict speed restriction.

As for the mainline engines they were used as far south as Kuraby and Manly which both was the limit of the double track from South Brisbane or Central if travelling the Great Way Around Via Corinda Yerongpilly since South Brisbane was still a Terminus with no bridge provided until 1978/79 but plans were drawn up previously in the previous years.

[Most engines that did this were Mayne Based locomotives predominatly the C16, C17, C19 & B17 goods trains to Manly but you did on rare occasions get Beyer Garratts on to the Cannon Hill Meatworks. Usualluy passenger hauled trains were under the aspires of B18, BB18]

On the subject of Turning Facilities for 90 ton Engines on the Brisbane Southside Network:

Kuraby had a Forkline which was present until up to 1998 when it was removed to make way for a carpark, while Manly was equiped with a 60ft Cowan Sheldon Patterned Turntable which aswell was present until 2003? from memory. Lota was not fitted with a Forkline until 1978 after threats by the AFLEU with industrial action but was short lived when it was removed in 1983 when the Thornside exension was built. The run around was retained as a passing loop it was removed in the early nineties from my notes.

With Regards

Michael Gitsham
QHR Commissioner For Railways

I might mention the rail limits on the Southside in the steam era; All heavy locos allowed [Beyer-Garratts, ASG, DD17, C19, BB18.25 etc] South Brisbane to Kingston and Manly thus several pictures of heavy locos in that book Trainz89 and Ghosty mentioned, including a BB18.25 on the Acacia Ridge branch with a train of GMH cars. No turntable at Kingston so heavy tankers there but turntable at Manly. My reference "Queensland Railway's Steam Locomotives 1900 - 1969" By John Knowles http://www.railshop.com.au/prod27.htm

If enough people are interested will speak to Ad602000 about releasing my version of the U sets

I am definitely interested in any NSW sparks bearcat245.. EMU's and Loco's.

The screenshots in this thread lately have been smashing! So I have got it together enough to show some shots of my new terminal station St James. It is fictional of course. There are 6 terminal platforms, 2 through platforms and 1 light rail platform. It is built on the Wadalbavale route and is in part of the old loop past the old last station on the line, Wattle Creek.

screenshot20120327at114.png

A late afternoon light rail service terminates on platform 4a at St James, while a V-set from Myrnong arrives on platform 3.

screenshot20120327at113n.png

At the left, platforms 1 and 2 are the Olympic Park lines which proceed partly under ground to the sports grounds. The train led by 4473 on platform 5 will be an express to Angel Street, a new terminus beyond Wadalbavale. The Endeavour will follow on an all stations service.
screenshot20120328at120.png

Central is also in the old loop and is the first stop out of St James Terminal. Platform 2 sees a B-set here in the afternoon peak.
screenshot20120327at113.png

The concourse at St James is a busy place usually..
screenshot20120327at115.png

The traffic is getting heavy in the afternoon, but the passengers in this S-set glide effortlessly over it!
screenshot20120327at115.png

The same scene from the bus depot next to the underpass.. although it seems strangely full of buses for the peak!

WOW!!

Ziggy i want that route mate. Can you please upload it? I want to be able to run Tulloch and V-sets too
:'(

Can you please upload it to the DLS?!

The uploading of content to the DLS must be jammed again as there are updates to the 85 and 86 that were sent on Sunday when a few people has problems but thry have not turned up yet.

Good news AD602000 has said yes to the U set but he thinking of doing a better bogie first.

Peter, DD17 and D17 where preffered to be used to Kingston & Lota because they where easier to shunt around due to no sufficient turning facilities and preffered by crews, because tender locomotives were imposed with a strict speed restriction...... Manly was equiped with a 60ft Cowan Sheldon Patterned Turntable

Glad to see you are reading those books and thus you have saved me telling you myself all that material you typed in your earlier post. At your age you have time on your side so enjoy those articles. I do suggest you also invest in "Sunshine Express" and the ARHS Bulletin now renamed Australian Railway History [ARH]. You may find ARH at your local newsagent.

I will add a bit more to help tidy up the reason behind what you wrote in the quote above. Trainz89 wrote
tender locomotives were imposed with a strict speed restriction [end of quote] actually refers to heavy speed restrictions on **tender first running** of a non tank steamer, thus steam tankers such as 6D17s and DD17s preferred to destinations such as Kingston which did not have either a triangle or turntable. This "tender first running" speed restriction on non tank steamers such as PB15s did not apply when the same PB15s were operating boiler first. That is why I wrote the other day about no turntable at Kingston so heavy tankers there but turntable at Manly. Glad you knew about the Kuraby and Lota turning triangles.

Another turning triangle was at Sunnybank in single line days. For those with the ARHS Bulletins,
track diagram June 1964 P.118. Michael, you note you have Brian Webber's book so check P.85 and you say you have Destination South Brisbane [DSB] in your "own private collection" so check P.29 as it mentions it with DSB also giving its history. I have read elsewhere that this was more for turning rail cars but I will eventually relocate the ARHS factual data to sort out this confusion.

The Cannon Hill triangular junction for the abattoirs line and the Murarrie 60 foot turntable would have be of use for turning the heavy steam locos that hauled the stock trains in
through Corinda from the main QR system.

Manly's turntable was a 58 foot air operated turntable, which is a different length to the 60 foot data you wrote and I included in my quote
above of your earlier post. Brian Webber also says 58 foot in that book you quoted P.59. Track plans with turntable lengths listed ARHS Bulletin July 1964 P.123. The former steam era Cleveland line's turning triangle at Cleveland Central is shown in my http://s311.photobucket.com/albums/kk478/petanoz/?action=view&current=Cleveland-terminus-1960.jpg

Highly suggest buying the ARHS Bulletin back copy DVDs http://www.railwaybookshop.com.au/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=10

Glad to see Michael that you are "hitting the books" and researching your relative's train experiences :D

Last edited:
Folks, I am starting to feel self conscious about writing extremely Brisbane specific material on the Australian screen shots thread which is really of little interest to others in the far corners of the nation. Perhaps if those who want to continue the data discussion on features of Brisbane or South East QLD lines return to this other thread noted below. Other South East QLD lines also have their own threads as well. I feel this present Australian Screen shots thread is more for screen shots. People interested can see any updates if they desire on this Brisbane thread.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?53470-Brisbane-CityTrain-800x600-pixels

Cheers
Peter C

NSWGR Binalongere From the starting point yard NSW Leopold Yard by Muliebuck im hoping to complete this route soon. Please tell me what you think so far.
coreycat_20090723_0012.jpg
[/IMG]
coreycat_20090722_0009.jpg

wow silly me i was wondering why i could not get alot of content and i just realised i didnt have SP3 installed i though i did lol im patching it now :)

Back