Australian screenshots

SAR Melton Valley Loco

Melton Valley "Loco"... very rustic and rural. Not being a stabling facility, only the barest of essentials are required. Here, a rare visitor in #906 has just been turned, and will head back down the yard shortly...

sarmeltonvalleyloco1.jpg

sarmeltonvalleyloco2.jpg

Most of the focus this week was away from trackside...

sarmeltonvalleytown1.jpg

sarmeltonvalleytown2.jpg

A handful of passengers await the arrival of the Late Morning Passenger service.

sarmeltonvalleystation.jpg

And... just couldn't help throw one in of Muliebuck's favourite fence :wave:

sarmeltonvalley900.jpg

Last edited:
I think he meant to say the 57's and 58's used the same tender 59's were a different kettle of fish altogether. I have the definitive book on the mountain class by K T Groves and there is no mention of any trial with different tenders.

cheers
pete

Firstly, thanks so much for all of the encouraging comments on my developing Melton Valley module. I'm having the time of my life in Surveyor at the moment, and your comments are simply fuelling me to make it all the better.

Secondly... best advice I can offer the community with route building... back up!! back up!! After previous issues with different versions, I save my route as a cdp to a flash stick after every edit of the route. How often do we hear stories of failed HD's, mishap, lost routes, accidental deletions etc etc??

Well after Autosave stuffed me up during the midst of laying a spline, I could no longer load the route or the Autosaved version for that matter. I'd have been crushed (again!!) had I lost this project I'm very enthusiastic about.

Enough ramble... I like the way Town is coming together...

sarmeltonvalleytown10.jpg

Regardless of state, an rural Aussie town just isn't the same without a good old fashioned Servo and rustic Fire Brigade shed. We also have some tailgating going on here...

sarmeltonvalleytown11.jpg

I had to post this one... purely for the broken tail light on the 4WD. How awesome have Auran been with Road Traffic development??

sarmeltonvalleytown12.jpg

Next segment... The Cattle Siding.

Last edited:
:wave: Hi Forest_Runner

love the South Australian layout :D

Only one thing that looks out of place is there are no 3D aussie cars :(

Poul

Forest_Runner, i must agree with all comments made today with regards to your WIP, Melton Valley. It looks stunning, and is of the quality that i have come to expect from this particular forum thread.

Muliebuck, stop crying, your work is just as good as that of Forest_Runner, if not better. Take that jealousy of yours and channel it, boyo! The results would be spectacular, me thinks.:D

Matt.

Some shots from a WIP

End of the Line 4464/4472 sit at number 1 Platform NSWGR terminal South Brisbane having arrived with the Brisbane Express.

C-17 974 works an empty Coal train though the suburban location of Albert.

Approaching Dutton Park and the South Coast Line.

Passing Moolabin goods yard.

Arriving at Corinda.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

cheers

ghosty

Why don't they make a route together??
Jamie

You obviously didn't stop to consider the massive clash of egos that such an undertaking would entail, inflated as they are by constant adoration here on the forums.:hehe:

Plus, i'm assuming that something like that would require at least a basic idea of what you're setting out to acheive, and from what i gather, Muliebuck at least simply lays down some track and structures and hopes for the best.

*Sigh* If only i had his talent.

Matt.

*nodnod* I just go at it, with no thought or reasoning and just let it...evolve as it goes. Occassionally, I might have a vague idea, or a trackplan work on off (at least get inspired by) and off I go - most of the time? No idea, none what-so-ever, it just...happens :) Of course, if I had to pay a set fee / metre of trackwork, points, sidings, infrastructure...etc - I'd have my railway bankrupt in seconds :D

mattm

I have been working on a large chunk of the Brisbane Suburban system i have drawn inspiration from people like muliebuck and others, at times i send my work out for beta testing to get honest feedback, if you need to talk to some map makers see if they will give your works a once over trust me it helps and you learn faster that way. best tip i can give you is keep an open mind and take inspiration from ALL screenshots regardless of the guage you never know where a good idea may come from.

just some thought i had

ghosty

My WIP Melton Valley module was inspired by Muliebuck. I loved the way he was putting together modules in quick time and they looked good.

I adopted the same ethos initially. In fact I checked out Mulie's modules. I even "ripped off" the same track, textures and NZ houses he was using... although I used the lower poly versions for the houses. So essentially I've copied the basis of what Mulie does, and likewise didn't really have a plan. Imitation/copying is the best form of flattery I guess.

I decided not to use speed trees as I find them a resource hog and I'm not keen on their appearance either. The UK bullhead track itself is a bit of a resource hog, but that is the only high poly thing I'm hoping to use.

I then decided to go with a general South Oz theme, as we don't see this often, as most of the Oz representation here covers the Eastern states. Maybe it may encourage further SA content creation??

Then came the crunch... I started to discover TS2010's content and I also wanted to try my luck with grass/foliage. So I'm really just experimenting... and still without a real grand plan in the scheme of things. Also, I tend not to work on it for a prolonged period of time in a given editing session. I'm currently just going scene by scene.

Once I complete this 3 board module, I'm contemplating either of the following options:

1. Release the module... then continue to develop the Melton Valley branch to reach a main line junction somewhere in SA.

2. Adapt the module to represent other scenes. For instance, by using the en mass "replace assets" function in TS 2010 I reckon I could mock up a NSWGR in quick time just by changing shops, textures, other structures and foliage. Maybe some subtle alterations to the track arrangement and placement/swapping/interchanging of industries.

Thanks again for all the nice comments and encouragement. :wave:

*nodnod* I'm all for you releasing it, when YOU are happy with it, so far, it looks absolutely incredible - I've always had 'issues' trying to design townships and such, so stick to more 'out of the way' places. I want to design my modules for native mode - as it *is* the way forward, alas, many of the grass splines and such I love and use - use alpha-blending, and the performance/visual aspect is highly undesirable...thanks to the 'alpha-blending' issue and so on, but I have faith - one day, I'll find a worthy replacement, and continue to design and build...for the enjoyment of others.

Back