Auran have nothing to be afraid of with KUJU

hi i dont think this is right, post the best screenie you can find in trainz, then post the blandest you can find from KRS, trainz graphics are no where near as good as KRS,

Your opinion, duly noted, however I would be interested to know on what you base it.
Ed

Your opinion, duly noted, however I would be interested to know on what you base it.
Ed

hi, i am one of those guys who like the eye candy, as well as driving, i have mentioned the trees, it looks like theyve modelled each twig and leaf, rather than a photo placed on a few planes, i think if models were made this way for trainz the game would be unplayable due to stuttering. The track is a lot better looking not just with the junctions, more 3D.

being a geordie i was impressed to see the newcastle to york route that came with the game, and as ive seen the areas first hand i can see someone has done a good job recreating the area and modelled the buildings to a good standard, although i know there are trainz modellers and route builders who can do this as well.

in the first screenshot that was in that post i dont know which route that came from but i dont think it was a built in one, i think KRS are the first to give better out of the box routes, they're all quite long and i do think they look great, granted there are some missing signs and some other bugs but trainz wasnt without these either.

i do still like trainz but i do think that KRS will give a better driving experience, i love the track sounds in KRS when the wheels start squealing as i go around bends i get more of a feeling im in the cab, my biggest complaint with KRS is the couplers, rigid, i think this should be addressed.

cheers

Gav

My biggest problem with KRS is the lack of a gmax exporter. Having spent hours in gmax I am not minded to re do all my models in another program for the benefit of another sim. That said I will probably get KRS but I'm not desperate so I'll wait to see it come down in price a bit first.

Andy

I test TRS2006 demo today:
fps 11-30 on my old PC. KRS runs with more fps and better grafic.

BUT, Trainz is more useable "out of the demo-box" in driving-mode.

KRS is for me a DRIVING-Simulator (ONLY) with Trainz I can do many things more.
There are:
-no interactive industries

-you can not say to the traindriver "Go to... and make this and this...than go to..."

-The editor is better as in MSTS, but with Trainz - no chance.
*for example "Turntables" or to make "Junctions" the first look is easy, but edit the track and make new junctions... when you want to complete "The junction destroy it self or the track be a little bit shorter.
I has try it many hours, I give it up.

I have a friend, he is for me one of the "kings of landscape and railroad building with Trainz" He has test it too.
So many users say "I can't do what I want" - That is Rail Simulator - Editor. The other things are "eyecandys...for example the good grafic".
KRS is for me a blender.

-when you be in free-driving-mode, there only one Train - yours.
When you want more trains - you must drive it too.
I can't find any KI/AI in free driving mode.
there are only some more trains in scenario-mode.

-the game crash here 5x in some days (become it on the 19.10.2007). Yesterday (my last day with KRS) the game freeze.

After 2 years of using nothing to do with Trainz (my last was TRS2004) - I buy KRS. Play it, deinstall it, resell it.

Download me the TRS2006 demo - found 11 fps (KRS 21-up to over 80 and more).
But there is one thing, the best in Trainz - I have fun.
I hope Trainz runs better with my new pc.

I'm home again - and buy me today my copy of Trainz 2007 (TRS2006).

Here are the bugs: http://www.railsimulator.com/node/145

P.S. A new Trainz ONLY with better grafic would be cool.
Functions have it enough - my only wish for function was:
"Klick with the mouse and some doors open or close."
For example Rail-Yards. That's can be nice: Drive the train in the evening in the yard, close the door with a "klick" the animation close it and I shutdown the pc :cool:
Sorry all for my bad english.

Last edited:
??short sighted, i take it you mean the people who suport and like the new sim,

I do think, Gav, that you are assuming too far... ;)

I quote my actual text again...

...but some short-sighted guys, somewhere...
I'm not generalising at all and those 'some' know who they are... ;) And of course, not meaning 'you'

Take care,

Alberte :wave:

Last edited:
So the image is on a 2 dimensional, 2 poly square and rotates to face the camera. This is the technique used for the trees and brush in the Trainmaster Sim. Last year I supplied Trainmaster with a set of images for their sim and I was pretty surprised when they said I didn't have to 'build' the trees, just supply the images. They explained this trick with the camera.

Easier to 'build' trees this way for sure!

Very low poly!:D

Thanks Gav, Dave

and very effective!!

Gav

P.S. i must point out i dont have much knowledge on modelling, not much else for that matter:D , its just the way i interpret it

So the image is on a 2 dimensional, 2 poly square and rotates to face the camera. This is the technique used for the trees and brush in the Trainmaster Sim. [...] Easier to 'build' trees this way for sure!

Very low poly!:D

Thanks Gav, Dave
Is this an approach that can be implemented in Trainz? How does the technique work?

Perhaps it's me but I have a hard time with the "new graphics" argument. I am an artist by occupation, and I can't fault Trainz graphics. MSTS may look sharper, but not exactly more realistic, unless you happen to be in a situation where the lighting and the environment is correct for a sharper image. Are you guys running Trainz on one monitor, and MSTS on another, at the same time? I agree Trainz has a softer look to it, but much of the environment has the same appearance, if not the hard metal train cars.
Maybe a mixture of softness and sharpness is called for, but I don't think one is absolutely more or less realistic than the other.

Ed

I personaly think the problem is in the routes. The graphics between Trainz and Rail sim are differnt but similar enough to where the difference in quality comes down to the design of the routes themselves. I've seen some routes from Kuju that are far better then I have seen for Trainz, and Trainz routes that are far better then Kuju's. From what I can see both simulators have a promising feuture so long as there is a growing body of creative people in the mix for both community's.

John B
TrainzEasternRoutes

Well John...my thoughts exactly, I'm glad you agree since you are somewhat of an authority on route building.
Ed

I'm not going to unfairly criticise Kuju, because I've bought a copy for £25.99 and I must say, the scenery is stunning. Coming out of Paddington or York, the scenery seems REAL! Crikey - even the station clock where I used to meet my brother when we went home to Devon next to Paddington's Platform 1 is there! Maybe the Kuju critics, because they live overseas and haven't got any such routes that they can instantly recognise, don't realise how true to the prototype the scenery is!

.....But, I would agree that, for me at least, Auran have nothing to worry about!

1. Like its predecessor, Microsoft Train Simulator, there is a certain je ne sais quoi that I can't precisely pinpoint which causes me to quit before I reach the end of the line - it's almost a sense of boredom after a while, perhaps because the dynamics aren't right?

I would agree though that our Content Creator Nutcases and our Surveyorheads are getting better and better at producing almost photo-realistic routes in Trainz.

2. Surveyor is so easy to get around! The scenario editor in Kuju is complicated and, perhaps because my pc isn't dual core and as fast as some on the market nowadays, causes stuttering of my system. Just maybe though, when Kuju release the tools on November 12th, we'll see easier ways of editing. There are also issues which Kuju have promised to patch.

3. I will criticise Kuju for releasing a half-finished product because we all lambasted Auran for the errors in TRS2004 and TRS2006 when they were launched!

4. The moving map in "Free Roaming" mode is difficult to use and the cause of many a derailment. Auran's way of throwing point levers is easy by comparison. It is also an irritation not to be able to have AI trains when in Free Roaming mode - unlike Trainz where you can have trains every which where following instructions and you can either jump into one of them or drive an instructionless consist!

So, for me, I'm sticking with you Auran!

Last edited:
I personaly think the problem is in the routes. The graphics between Trainz and Rail sim are differnt but similar enough to where the difference in quality comes down to the design of the routes themselves. I've seen some routes from Kuju that are far better then I have seen for Trainz, and Trainz routes that are far better then Kuju's. From what I can see both simulators have a promising feuture so long as there is a growing body of creative people in the mix for both community's.

John B
TrainzEasternRoutes
It is quite refreshing to see a totally unbiased peice of writing for a change!! Thank you for that John.

Chris

Trainzer 4 Life!

It looks good. but the asking price on Ebay and such is just silly. It reminds me of star trek bridge commander. when it stopped being made, the price jumped to over $150 for the game (unless you know you way around the internet)

Trainz looks easier to use, and to be honest, 4 routes, and I have yet to see a single bit of American Content for Railsim

compared to trainz...lets show the stats! (from the DLS, plus more content in the 3rd Party sites)

2661 Routes
7994 Locomotives
23841 buildings

and much more!

Trainz looks easier to use, and to be honest, 4 routes, and I have yet to see a single bit of American Content for Railsim

but thats only because the Amercian Version hasn't been released yet. My contact tells me that in the North American version one should expect 1 route from each of the major railroads and prototypical content to go with it. I believe there was also talk about a smaller but just as famous route with content being included.

Dig arround here and you may find a bit more info (there is a Kuju developer that hanges there also)
http://forums.flightsim.com/ts/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=27

peter

Trainzer 4 Life!

and much more!

hi, this will come with the american release of RS, yous get 3 o the routes included in the uk version plus 1 US route, i think the US route wasnt ready in time for release with the first

Gav

Do we have to choose up sides? See, maybe it's just me, but I thought we just sit down and then click on whatever icon we want, when we want. Man, I didn't realize we had to publicly declare what programs we are using!

I've been with Trainz for a little while now, I've supported it, I've derided it, I've slathered it with glowing praise and with noxious criticism. I've recommended it and lambasted it, I've honored it and ridiculed it, and the only thing I've learned is making public comments is a crap-shoot at best.

The problem is, sometimes we make "misteaks."

Won't you all consider joining me in the "Freedom Corp"? Free to choose what game you play and when, free to not swear allegiance to one train sim or another, free to openly discuss the merits of each? Freedom to make....mistakes, and not have post your "Mea Culpa's" here later on.

Besides, I'm not joining any army until I see what the uniforms look like :eek:

Ed:D

Last edited:
Do we have to choose up sides? See, maybe it's just me, but I thought we just sit down and then click on whatever icon we want, when we want. Man, I didn't realize we had to publicly declare what programs we are using!

I've been with Trainz for a little while now, I've supported it, I've derided it, I've slathered it with glowing praise and with noxious criticism. I've recommended it and lambasted it, I've honored it and ridiculed it, and the only thing I've learned is making public comments is a crap-shoot at best.

The problem is, sometimes we make "misteaks."

Won't you all consider joining me in the "Freedom Corp"? Free to choose what game you play and when, free to not swear allegiance to one train sim or another, free to openly discuss the merits of each? Freedom to make....mistakes, and not have post your "Mea Culpa's" here later on.

Besides, I'm not joining any army until I see what the uniforms look like :eek:

Ed:D
Lets keep it that way Ed (Christ, this must be a US/UK first!!). I'm really getting fed up with the "Best and worst". I am on our side, the player, but at this rate I'll start picking holes, and there are enough!!

Chris

Last edited:
the SDJR is full of inaccuracies, me and a friend who is fanatical about the SDJR were driving it using the incorrectly sounded 7F and he was going mental at the amount of decreprencies, that was after he had calmed down about the locomotive, KUJU is plain rubbish in a snazzy packet, promised more than its delivered I will be sticking with Auran and Trainz and will be buying the UK version of classics when its released.

Back