Atls trigger questions

Amtrakid17

Route maker in the works
Hi,
Alright so I have a two track crossing set up and all the triggers are setup correctly, but the one track is a siding so there are sometimes cars stored on that track. The only problem is though that when I store the cars the gates down go back up even though the cars arent covering the crossing. So my question is: Is there any way I can de activate the crossing without making the cars go over the triggers?

My initial thoughts on your post (your wording is slightly unclear - I agree that a screenshot would help):

1. Remove the triggers and treat the siding as a "flag stop". If you're just using it to store cars, a real life crossing like that might not have gate triggers either, and a crew man would have to guard the crossing as the train enters the road.

2. Move the triggers closer to the crossing, so as to have a shorter activation time/window before hitting the crossing. This leaves more room for cars outside the triggers. It's also prototypical in that slower speeds mean less distance from the road before the gates go down (it's usually based on a time, until the train gets from it's current point to hitting the crossing).

Foose

Here's a simple solution I use and it'll work with any crossing that's close to a holding track. Simply insert a short section of invisible track with an invisible switch lever, like so:

davesnow_20111025_0006.jpg

You can place the invisible track & switch about as close to the crossing as you want. When you get your cars parked, simply throw the switch and the crossing gates will go up. Don't forget to replace the visible switch lever with an invisible one:

davesnow_20111025_0007.jpg

Hope this idea might be of use to you.

Cheers,

Dave

All trains need to cross the correct number of triggers to complete the activation. But in your case dont use triggers in the siding, instead use the driver command for ATLS which is like a trigger. Say you had a 4 way set up on your crossing. The main lines would have 4 triggers to pass to complete the cycle. But your train into the siding only passed two triggers you would need to use two atls driver commands to complete the cycle. If an engine went in to pick up a consist and leave straight away then he would pass two triggers on the way in and pass them again on the way out so the cycle of 4 triggers is complete. You can use any combination of triggers and commands as long as the total used matches the set up. Dont forget you can alter the radius of the trigger aswell.

What crossing are you using? is it a ready made one or one you made up. Need to know what triggers you have in use and on which tracks.
Assuming the following, Siding on the top through line on the bottom. Neither track attached to crossing if it is ready made. Through line set up as 4way running, Siding set up as 2way running. Train enters siding and sets trigger off, crossing closes and train enters siding. Driver then uses driver command ATLS 2 way and crossing opens. If the engine is to leave straight away then you dont need to add any commands as the engine will pass the trigger twice which is all it needs to do.

<-----T--------X-------------------B
<-----T------T-X-T-------T------------------->

Back