Article: Trainz: A New Era Community Edition Review

Saving from Surveyor

I've had the same problem. Sessions seem to be OK but routes will often freeze on save.
The workaround is to 'save as' instead of 'save'. Just let TANE overwrite the route. Don't change the title, of course.

Cheers

Thanks for that but I tried doing a 'Save As' with the same name and not creating a new session, but it still sticks just the same. My way of dealing with it is to close the launch and content windows, wait a while, and then us the Task manager to delete the TAME Surveyor window (which has gone dark). This works, but it's not very satisfactory and is not acceptable long term (so hope it will be fixed in the full release in February).

Pete

As a piece of positive news, I am now running the following TS2010 (and earlier) trams on TANE Commercial, running on a 64bit Windows 8 machine:

5 completely separate vehicles
1 x 5 part vehicle
8 variants of the above
4 layouts (Blackpool, Leeds, Seaton and Swansea & Mumbles)

and whereas most of these would not run in TS12, they are all doing so quite happily in TANE.

I have just installed Tane Community and first time it worked OK, now when I try to launch I get the following error 'Unable to acquire write access to UserData folder: TestWriteAccessToFolder> unable to create temp folder path in: C:/ProgramFiles/N3VGames/Tane' I am not a technical person bur have a reasonable knowledge so could someone help please, have I done something wrong? I don't think I have but may have missed something. Thanks, Mike

Well, as the message says, the program doesn't have permission to write there. That is why many people don't use the default location but rather somewhere else, preferably another disk. That way you avoid the C:\program files\ folder with its restricted permissions. You didn't say but is this Win 7 or 8?

Well, as the message says, the program doesn't have permission to write there. That is why many people don't use the default location but rather somewhere else, preferably another disk. That way you avoid the C:\program files\ folder with its restricted permissions. You didn't say but is this Win 7 or 8?

Thanks for the reply, I'm using Win7 and didn't expect a problem as all other versions loaded OK and it did run OK the first time. I'll have a go at downloading again to a disc and see if that cures the problem.

Well I do have a running version of TANE with a few problems that cropped up while attempting to create a small route. I have set out some ground, placed double mainline, some (Switches) "Junctions" with the levers of course, and put a couple of signals up.

Everything went fine, till I saved the route as small as it was, and looked in the database for it, and it is showing faulty on the session, and missing dependencies on the route. I have checked all assets through the database and none show defective, faulty or otherwise. Of course there are only 3 items to check. A)Track B)Signals C) Junction & levers. Also am having problems getting the thumbnail into the route. I didn't change anything in the config for the route, I simply placed a picture in the directory of the editing then commited the route again. This is my second attempt to figure this out, and it appears to happen every time. There is no prompt to place a thumbnail, nor does it place one automatically. Still working on it but if someone has any idea what the problem is, or have had that problem, let me know.

Thanks for the information for the save route problem "cache/internet" worked fine.

Last edited:
I have removed signals levers etcetera and have only the track left, and nothing else other than the ground level. Still shows faulty and missing dependencies
I do not have a picture file set up, but I seem to be having a problem to put one in the config

You Guys are lucky. No matter what i try, the download fails after 3/4 way through the process. I have tried on a mac, pc and laptop at my address. then i tried at work on a completely different network, but still it fails. At first i thought it might be due to demand, but no matter what time of day it fails. Any Ideas people?. I am in the UK. I have tried the links to the contact us pages but they don't work!!:'(

You Guys are lucky. No matter what i try, the download fails after 3/4 way through the process. I have tried on a mac, pc and laptop at my address. then i tried at work on a completely different network, but still it fails. At first i thought it might be due to demand, but no matter what time of day it fails. Any Ideas people?. I am in the UK. I have tried the links to the contact us pages but they don't work!!:'(

I was having trouble with the install on a PC, and then got a perfect download and install by loading window 7 in safe mode and then doing the download and install. Make sure you enter safe mode with network access.

I also had problems with downloading to one of my drives, and attempting to unzip the files using Winzip, but Winzip came up with an error on the second file. I copied the downloaded file over to drive C: and winzip went through without an error.

I am not saying this will definitely work, but it is worth a try as most of the operating system is disabled in safe mode.

Sorry, can't help you with the MAC, Good luck!

Downloaded and everything seems to work just right, just one exception, when in edit mode the whole thing freezes up and i have to restart my computer. I am really looking forward to getting the full programme.

Download

I was having trouble with the install on a PC, and then got a perfect download and install by loading window 7 in safe mode and then doing the download and install. Make sure you enter safe mode with network access.

I also had problems with downloading to one of my drives, and attempting to unzip the files using Winzip, but Winzip came up with an error on the second file. I copied the downloaded file over to drive C: and winzip went through without an error.

I am not saying this will definitely work, but it is worth a try as most of the operating system is disabled in safe mode.

Sorry, can't help you with the MAC, Good luck!

I was going to reply to my previous as to how to download to disc when the file is 8+ Mb but following your suggestion I will try in safe mode. I find this all very complicated for a normal person using a PC, not into programming etc. Is it just me?

Mike

I was going to reply to my previous as to how to download to disc when the file is 8+ Mb but following your suggestion I will try in safe mode. I find this all very complicated for a normal person using a PC, not into programming etc. Is it just me?

Mike

Finally up and running, downloaded in Safe Mode, what a pain as it tried to install three separate installations??? Back to normal mode then had to wait till assets were downloaded. Tries the Kings Cross route, no problems (other than me) and had a brief session in Surveyor, so far AOK

Two problems that jumped out. The game let me start it he first time. The second time it would not start. I had to reboot the computer after that it started the first time, but after I closed it I could not restart the game until I rebooted the computer. The control windows would not open all the way and some were cut off with no text in them. Also tried to use the rebuild database and the computer would freeze. back to rebooting the computer. I am running windows 7 vid 560ti. Intel i7. 16 GB ram..64bit

I am assuming when you say TANE won't run you mean that the Launcher won't come up on the screen.

I am not sure if you got an answer for your problem, but if you are using Windows 7, do a CTRL+ALT+DEL, and check under processes, to see if a there are two copies of TANE running. This was one of the problems I have had. Appears they are not checking to see if another instance is running at the same time. If you shut one of them down, the launcher will usually POP up.

Hope that works.

No Mike, it's not just you, I was a computer tech for 15 years, and still have problems figuring out what the heck is going on.

Got it up and running without problem. Driver work fine, but mousepointers active point is about 1 cm over and to left of pointer, irritating.
In route-builder, track are disappearing every time i save.

RS

Sandwell

I also have a large number of faulty assets - many Payware, all downloaded from DLS. Some I have been able to "fix" by deleting them and pretending they don't exist. The Map view in Surveyor just sits there and is not accessible at all, while I wonder why there is no trainshed to look at installed rolling stock. The Content Manager is a challenge and nowhere near user friendly as the one it replaced. The window proclaiming repariing the data base appears often and for no apparent purpose like and interested cabbage. Drive works well, but I am finding Surveyor is a major problem. I am hoping the disks will be better when, and if, they arrive. All in all a big disappointment.

If you don't report specific reproducible issues so that N3v can fix them, if the problem is on their end, then all complaints are just a lot of wasted steam. Of course if the asset is faulty, only the original creator can fix those problems.

Agreed - All In All Huge Disappointment even considering it is well just a bought Beta......
I uninstalled it and went back to TS12

I have a new problem that I have discovered with the beta version of TANE:
I have copied over the cdp files for about 6-7 layouts from TS2010 and have now updated all of the outdated assets, and dealt with most of the errors and they all now run error free. However, if I edit one of the layouts, I find within minutes that assets elsewhere on the layout have disappeared completely.
This could be dealt with by saving every minute or so, but because the save option is not working properly and I have to wait for at least 15 minutes before I can delete TANE in the Task manager, and re-install TANE again, this is not practical.
If the save option (or Save-as - it makes no difference) were working, I could live with it, but as it is, it makes editing of TANE a complete waste of time.

Pete

Back