Are you a rail photographer??

Gala at Keighley

Took a days leave owing to spend all day [nearly work will not quite go way] to admire the fantastic job done on the ex Swedish WD 2 8 0 , the last UK survivor, now back in the roster at my local line.
There was also a Guest GWR 2 8 0.

This too 10 years and I have to say for a wartime workhorse it copes raelly well with the steep line and heavy loads on the days like this.

Big Jim the S160 USATC loco is also being fixed...

Off early to catch some decent smoke on the early trips ...
URL=http://img136.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc7074yi7.jpg]
dsc7074yi7.th.jpg
[/url]

Worth valley

I have no doubt the Old Vale Railway 0 6 2 is very close to some of the Aussie locos exported late 19th century.

Its a real old gem and was the last very big project .

There are some TRS models that look very close.

The 2 8 0 on the main line. Well thats impressive.I have some film but have not yet sussed out how to upload to the web...My ask the 14 year old techead I have been raising...A real expert...

Cheers

Thanks chemnitz, it is good to see the photos you posted! I like the look of all the black locomotives. May I request that you tell us where you took the photographs? I also like the old diesels. Do you know if any class 86 steam locomotives are in existence? I own a numberplate off one of them.

John

I took a train trip along with my co-workers a couple of weeks ago, and managed to sneak away in the morning, while the others had a bad hangover:hehe:
Went down to Oslo S , wich is the main railway depot in the capitol of norway.
Spoke to the managers there, and got my green flag, for taking photos around the depot area.

Thought i should share a couple, that made me think about gradients.
These shots covers a small area of the entrance to LODALEN, the main repairfacilities, and consiststorages

This picture shows the main entrance from the Depot, towards Lodalen, the yards and repair shops

Second picture shows another entrance to the repair shops

Thanks chemnitz, it is good to see the photos you posted! I like the look of all the black locomotives. May I request that you tell us where you took the photographs? I also like the old diesels. Do you know if any class 86 steam locomotives are in existence? I own a numberplate off one of them.

John

Granted yes I'm not chemnitz but I do know the answer to one of the questions, yes there are several 86's still in existence, some of which are operational. Here is a list of them: 86 001, 86 049, 86 056, 86 240, 86 333, 86 346, 86 348, 86 457, 86 476, 86 501, 86 607, and 86 744.

WileeCoyote:D

Many thanks WileeCoyote, perhaps you could give me more information on the loco that my plate came from. I know very little about it as it came in a batch of British stuff that I bought! It might not even be a steam loco!

20071014numberplate0002al8.jpg

As you can see Mrs Chisem likes it so much it is on permanent display in my loft (attic)!

Last edited:
That number plate is from an East German locomotive, after WW2 war reperations were made to Warsaw pact countries, this included East Germany. Included in the reperations were some engines and wagons from the West, the reason I can tell it is East German is the numbering code. Before 1970 it would have been 86 1332, in 1970 the equipment numbering system for the Deutsche Reichsbahn was changed from the old paper system to a computer system. Most of the other engine classes were renumbered heavily but kettles (like this one) merely received a -X at the end of the old number. This was done in the West two years earlier only the kettles got 0-XX XXXY (some engines had 4 code numbering)-X, the differences between East German and West German locomotives has nearly always been kept in the case of museum locomotives. If you want to see just what that plate came off of look here.

Many thanks for your reply, I thought the last digit was to do with a computerised system. From your answer I note that this was introduced in 1970, so "my" loco must have existed then. My German is very limited so I find navigating the site difficult, however at least 1 picture shows a locomotive without its' number plate. How strange it would be if that was my loco!

I know East German steam lasted quite late by comparison to the rest of Europe. Do you know when my loco was withdrawn, and presumably scrapped.

John

The Great Storm Of 1987!

The news today is telling of the 20th anniversary of the great storm in 1987 when Southern England was battered by high winds. A great deal of damage was caused and loss of life occured. On a global scale much worse disasters have happened, but for the UK it was a major event.

Here are 80080 (on its first main line run) and 48151 on their way from Derbyshire to London.

london0036kx7.jpg

And here they are at Marylebone Station (London) on the evening before the storm. I slept in the support coach, and due to being surrounded by the flats (and the station being low down due to the lines coming under Regents Canal and Lords cricket ground) I did not realise exactly how windy it was!

london0023ah7.jpg

In the morning a mechanical inspector had to see both locos in full steam, so my plan was to stay in bed till the next train arrived on the commuter service, then get up and build the fires up. Rush hour did not happen that morning, and I thought they were on strike!

By the weekend we managed to get round to Ripple Lane where we were guest locos at the launch of Railfreight Grey livery. The sheer number of fallen trees and damaged buildings was incredible. We even managed a couple of run pasts for the visitors.

481510040sc9.jpg

481510044ga1.jpg

John (possibly the only person in London and the South East to sleep through it!)- and I never got my Blue Peter badge:'(

Many thanks for your reply, I thought the last digit was to do with a computerised system. From your answer I note that this was introduced in 1970, so "my" loco must have existed then. My German is very limited so I find navigating the site difficult, however at least 1 picture shows a locomotive without its' number plate. How strange it would be if that was my loco!

I know East German steam lasted quite late by comparison to the rest of Europe. Do you know when my loco was withdrawn, and presumably scrapped.

John

Tracking down individual locomotives is a rather difficult task, especially when it comes to kettles, the last "official" operational year for 86's in East Germany was 1976 though a few made their way into the 1980's. Yours probably was taken out of service sometime inbetween 1970 and 1976, what happened to it? Either sent off to industrial use or more likely scrapped. I very much doubt it exists any longer, you may well be the proud owner of the only existing part of an inexistent kettle:p

Tracking down individual locomotives is a rather difficult task, especially when it comes to kettles, the last "official" operational year for 86's in East Germany was 1976 though a few made their way into the 1980's. Yours probably was taken out of service sometime inbetween 1970 and 1976, what happened to it? Either sent off to industrial use or more likely scrapped. I very much doubt it exists any longer, you may well be the proud owner of the only existing part of an inexistent kettle:p

I think Aue in Saxony (GDR) was the last place to use the 86 class. I photographed a few there in September 1975 and as you say they were probably gone by 1976. I returned to the GDR in July 1977, but by then I think the only active types (excluding the narrow gauge) were nearly all tender locomotives of 2-8-2 (class 41), 2-10-0 (44,50,52) and 4-6-2 (01,03) wheel arrangements. I think the only tank locos still in service by then were the 2-10-2Ts (Class 95) at Saalfeld.

Mark
South Oz

Last edited:
Well I could always start with the numberplate and build the rest of the loco onto it!

Less than an hour ago I went to see K1 number 62005 and support coach on the Carnforth to Grosmont leg of their return from Fort William. I photographed them just north of Methley Junction, which is between Leeds and Castleford. Many thanks to HAMSTER from Pontefract for the tip-off. Congratulations are due as a week ago he became a Granddad for the first time!

20071015k10004cz1.jpg

20071015k10005hw6.jpg

And finally! Today's RAIL PHOTOGRAPH is taken on the long disused Newmarket colliery branch from the East And West Yorkshire Union Railway, from their "mainline" down to the coal mine!

20071015k10007tj3.jpg

John

Last edited:
All pictures taken in September 1975

86 1444 at Aue

gdr_1.jpg

86 1725 at Aue

gdr_2.jpg

0-10-0T 94 2105 pushes its train up the short Eibenstock branch

gdr_5.jpg

2-8-4T 65 1049 near Saalfeld

gdr_4.jpg

2-8-2 41 1263 at Saalfeld

gdr_6.jpg

2-10-2T 95 0037 at Saalfeld

gdr_3.jpg

Cheers,

Mark
South Oz

Originally by Mr Grumpy

Less than an hour ago I went to see K1 number 62005 and support coach on the Carnforth to Grosmont leg of their return from Fort William.

It passed over the Yarm viaduct this evening I did see it from the Egglescliffe churchyard though purely by chance
Great shots thanks for sharing regards Bob V

Back