Are you a rail photographer??

Guess what!
I found my dads old rail spotting book and there are about 40 photo's of NSWGR and VR and QR.
If anyone wan'ts to look say so now and be warned they will not be dial-up friendly.

Welcome to the new faces!:D Mr Cook, I notice that you photographed in the rain, does this mean that the Australian drought problems reported over here have eased a little? We had bad floods round here recently but most people recovered very quickly. I've tried to find some train pics taken in bad weather, but surprisingly found very few. Here are 3 taken in cold weather near Bradford, about 20-25 years ago.

First of all a "peak" diesel electric, probably on a Leeds-Carlisle service.

sb314vj4.jpg

Then a class 47 piloting a class 40 towards Leeds with a tank train.

diesels0024xp4.jpg

And finally a "Calder Valley DMU" on a Morecambe service.

sb36vq1.jpg

Only the class 47s now see "normal" service in the UK nowadays!:( And semaphore signals are getting scarce too.

John

PS Answer to the Buffet Quiz sometime this week, although Ex-Railwayman won the virtual prize for being first!;)

LOTS OF PICS

Ok here are SOME of my dads pictures.
There are 10 Pictures so you might wan't to go to the toilet...:hehe:
Ill try and upload them in small amounts.

Walkers.jpg

SMR10Class.jpg

S305.jpg

QRDH.jpg

QREMU.jpg

Lastrunof4204.2.jpg

Glenbrook.jpg

AlburyC50142224.jpg

44226.jpg

Nice photos all.

Some from my holiday in Devon.
Mainline at Paignton

100_2711.jpg

GNER HST hired by Virgin for summer Saturdays.
100_2933.jpg

A 2 Super Voagers arrive at Paignton.
100_2972.jpg

A MTU HST with a 158.
100_3007.jpg

Voagers
100_2936.jpg

'The Torbay Express' leaves the mainline for the PDSR
100_2973.jpg

6024 with the MTU

PDSR

100_2987.jpg

7827 Lyndham Manor leaves Paignton Queens Park
100_2804.jpg

Auto at Kingswear
100_2963.jpg

I have more that I might post.

All are copyright.

Nice pics class143 - was the Voyager in the second shot working in the wrong direction or had the driver simply forgotten to switch the lights over? :eek:

And that's one very clean Class 43 in the sixth pic!

Not much of a photographer but here's a couple of sheds (66702 and 66703) hiding in the grass at Eastleigh on a sunny Sunday afternoon. :)

66702-3Eastleigh.jpg

Cheers
Dave

Thanks Jivebunny:) Nice photo Eldavo.:)

The Voager was going to Platform one to terminate as Paington is the end of the line. The Torbay express was in Platform 2 anyway and if that hadn't been there and a train was in Platform one it would go to the carrige sidings then go into platform one after the other train departed.
100_2927.jpg

2 more

100_2758.jpg

The ' Devon Belle' Observation car, one of only two rebuilt.
100_2772.jpg

7827 at Kingswear.

Last edited:
Answer!

The mystery station buffet is Bridlington in East Yorkshire. Well done to Ex-Railwayman! The semaphores are still there, but the dreaded Sprinters have invaded! Here's a shot, but I still haven't found the ideal spot for a decent photograph.

20070812brid0212ah1.jpg

John

ps my guess for Ex-Railwayman's class 50 photograph was wrong, anybody able to help?

Thanks to everyone making a contribution to this thread. Here's one more from Durango.

Big_Al_800x600.jpg

D & S NGR #7 "Big Al" at Durango, CO, July 1st, 2006.

Cheers.

heres some of my favorite from my England trip
Southeastern EMU's from the London Eye!
Englandsummer07659edit.jpg

EWS container train heading north out of Oxford
Englandsummer071764edit2.jpg

both rejected by railpics......
havnt tried the next couple but they will probably suffer the same fate, oh well better start uploading the RRPA :D
didcot ry center
Didcotrycenterandmiscengland074edit.jpg

sun decided to go behind the cloud right as the train came lol
Didcotrycenterandmiscengland152edit.jpg

Wadebridge running around the train at Alfredsford on the Mid-Hants railway
Mid-Hantsrailwayandmiscengland240ed.jpg

some misc ones
super dead electro diesels
Mid-Hantsrailwayelectrodiesel.jpg

Virgin Thunderbird class 57 virgil tracy
Virgin57virgiltracy.jpg

Last edited:
Well tonight we stood in the rain to see the Scarborough Spa Express! Craig's video camera has developed a faulty screen (we hope it dries out) and the still shots are a bit grotty!

20070814churchfenton003ne9.jpg

It's a black five this week! It's a shame that the trains in these two are not the opposite ones! The compostion and exposure on the railcar is much better.

20070814churchfenton005ox5.jpg

Ex Railwayman! Is the freightliner depot Beeston near Nottingham? Am I warmer or colder?

John

Ex Railwayman! Is the freightliner depot Beeston near Nottingham? Am I warmer or colder?

John

Hello John, yes you're spot on, it was taken at Beeston, sadly no longer there of course, and it was on 4D51 the Nottingham - Birmingham ( Lawley Street ) daily service, having worked in on the 4G50 train a few hours earlier. There were a number of Class 50's that worked this service for a few months, owing to the unavailabilty of the usual booked locomotive at Saltley depot, the Class 50 having got to Birmingham New Street station earlier in the morning, on the London Paddington passenger service.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

In addition to your shot, I thought I would set another teaser, as to who can tell where this photograph from the 1980's was taken, and yes, this BR Class 50 was on a scheduled daily freight working.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u42/ex-railwayman/Trainspotting photographs/Trainspotting002.jpg

What l lucky guess! I was tempted the think North East but just spotted a white chimney in the haze above the number on the loco. This gave me a clue as I can't remember the Beeston Freightliner Terminal very well. We once had to run the 8F round there and all the roads were full. So we did a shunt of some civil engineers wagons! The poor quality picture shows us doing so (it was dusk). The treeline is the same and you can spot a a building (above the orange containers) in both shots. The cranes might have gone by then.

Do you remember Frank Riley (and his son Eric)? Westhouses men if I remember correctly, Frank is leaning out of the coach.

plasticwallet40049cw5.jpg

plasticwallet40052ch1.jpg

And round the corner is is/was this glass fronted building!

plasticwallet40053ac9.jpg

Never quite got the perfect reflection:'(

John

Scarborough Spa Express! (AGAIN!)

We managed to keep dry tonight! We tramped across a harvested field and found a spot without much overgrowth. And some body decided it was the best place for a signal! First shot shows this, second taken from the same position uses a telephoto setting to avoid showing the signal.

20070815peckfield0009wj3.jpg

20070815peckfield0014oo5.jpg

John

Back