App Data Folder Humongous

RehnnNW

My Hard Drive Usage has suddenly shot up on my PC.

After some searching - I've foun out what folder it is and the culprit is: AppData\Local\N3V Games

We're talkign 31.8 GB big.

This is obviously a Trainz thing. Should my N3V Games App Data folder be this big? (I suspect it shouldn't an is a bug) Can I (massively) reduce the size of it?

Some specific fodler issues are:
ppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build 46c8cerr1\backups - 12.9 GB
AppData\Local\N3V Games\trs19\build 46c8cerr1\packages - 16.9 GB

It looks like Trainz 19 is storign data in the AppData folder (the OS drive) rather than it it's install path (which is on a different drive).

After some searching - I've foun out what folder it is and the culprit is: AppData\Local\N3V Games

This is obviously a Trainz thing. Should my N3V Games App Data folder be this big? (I suspect it shouldn't an is a bug) Can I (massively) reduce the size of it?

It looks like Trainz 19 is storign data in the AppData folder (the OS drive) rather than it it's install path (which is on a different drive).

Packages is all your DLC content. Backups is backed-upped versions of your install of Trainz in case something goes wrong you have something to fall back on. Don't mess with Packages but you can reduce the number of backups your computer stores.

Packages is all your DLC content. Backups is backed-upped versions of your install of Trainz in case something goes wrong you have something to fall back on. Don't mess with Packages but you can reduce the number of backups your computer stores.

So I can safely delete Backups? (Or store them else where?)

Can I move the DLC packages to another drive?

It's no bug.

You might want to take a look at this here:

Help:Moving Content - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com)

I setup my TRS19 installs, note the plural, on my E: and F: drives respectively with the F: drive as a beta testing drive.

You can clean out the Backups folder. I recommend keeping at least the latest two dates in case you need to go back.

Here's the scoop on the backups.

Backups are made every time you update content and delete the old versions, and when you edit, modify, or change any content in any fashion.

Backups are configured under Trainz Settings on the Launcher. Go to the Dev tab and you can change the default of 7-days to something less if this is a problem for you. This is not consecutive days, but each day you use TRS19. For a 7-day setting, the oldest dates get deleted automatically on the eighth day.

TRS19 data by default is installed in the not so ingenious default and recommended data-path for user data, meaning the c:/users/profile/app data/Local path. When TANE was being developed, one of the recommendations we had requested for, way back in the TS12 days, was to be able to move the User-Data folder to a new location and this was taken into consideration.

If you should decide to move your data folder, or folders, I recommend naming them something else beside the default build-something - the something being that big not memorable letter-number sequence. In my setup, my E: drive folder is called TRS2019_DATA and my F: drive data folder is called TRS2019_TEST_DATA to discern the differences.

Having the named folders will prevent accidental deletion and also having the folders on an easily accessible drive will make maintenance, such as this, and content repairs much easier since it isn't necessary to dig through many folders to find what we need.

Packages and other data folders cannot be safely deleted because this will ruin your TRS19 install and possibly destroy any user-content you have created. Your best bet is to clean up only the backup folders and occasionally the cache/internet folder when necessary.

Hope this helps.

Help:Moving Content - TrainzOnline (ts2009.com) is a bit longwinded. Find the build folder in the settings/install and copy the build folder only. Paste it on another drive and change the path in the settings/install to that new location followed by a DBR. If all is working OK delete the original build folder only.

First "Installing" to a different drive does not change your data folder, which still resides in your appData folder. Installing only changes where the executables live.
Second, Moving the data folder isexplained right in the launcher - Trainz Settings - Install Tab - Instructions for moving your content.
Third, if you download a lot of stuff, the data folder can be huge. My T:ANE is 1TB, 2019 is about 1.5TB and starting to show in slower responses. I always swear I am going to run lean, and then always grab all the good stuff. Oops. :eek:

If you've got a 2nd drive, then you can move your data folder to the drive without messing stuff up. There's a tutorial here.

I have 5 drive units to hold my things I need to play with and some are for business. RJArtim

Last edited:
If you've got a 2nd drive, then you can move your data folder to the drive without messing stuff up. There's a tutorial here.

First "Installing" to a different drive does not change your data folder, which still resides in your appData folder. Installing only changes where the executables live.
Second, Moving the data folder isexplained right in the launcher - Trainz Settings - Install Tab - Instructions for moving your content.
Third, if you download a lot of stuff, the data folder can be huge. My T:ANE is 1TB, 2019 is about 1.5TB and starting to show in slower responses. I always swear I am going to run lean, and then always grab all the good stuff. Oops. :eek:

Thanks both for your help

Just to clarify a bit... "Installing" in the quote above is referring to installing the app, not content. Note that installing the app again will create another user data folder in the "default" location but it does not affect any existing user data folders.

When I do a another install (additonal) i create a folder to become the userdata folder on my D drive in my preferred location. It's name would be something like: "TRS22-beta-data"

I install the new app on my C drive. It will create a new data folder but I just ignore that and point the install to my D drive "TRS22-beta-data" folder. After pointing it to the new folder quit and relaunch the game. It will ask the for the default graphics setup again. Set your account info, prefs, etc. Quit. Relaunch and make sure everything is right then have fun.

You can also copy/duplicate an existing User Data folder, name it as you wish, point the new app to it, do a db rebuild and you should have another install with all your content.

My N3V Games folder is 220 GBs. Needless to say, I have downloaded a lot of assets. :D

Do you need all those Backup files? You can delete them. I do delete them when I don't know them. Actually nothing is a backup. It is being using or it is deleted. I have 12 TB RJArtim

Last edited:
Show off! Haha :cool:

:D

LOL... It's 17 years of Trainzing and hoarding content.

There was a period when the DLS might go away and many of us started downloading a lot more than we needed so during that time I ended up with a lot more stuff than I want. The other problem is when we install a route it brings down dependencies. This is well and good, but the dependencies remain after the route and sessions are removed. It would be helpful if we could easily clean this litter up, but that's not the easy part. I spent two weeks throwing really old assets away. I mean they were so old they were like those dishes of peas we find in the back of the fridge we forget about. Anyway, I spent two weeks straight deleting and then downloaded a route that put a bunch back in again.

If n3v ever goes broke, we collect all assets and open the JohnLoadStation JLS
JCT John Class Tickets are sold and you have monthly income guaranteed :)

Back