An Invitation to Auran staff... any anybody else!

Driver_Col

I would really like someone to help me to understand the direction that Trainz has gone, and is going.

My interest in Trainz started with TRS2004 and did a beautiful job of fullfilling both my perceived creative side, and a desire to relive earlier days. In that context I not only created layouts in TRS2004 but also accumulated considerable rolling stock enabling me to run all four (UK) pre-nationalisation companies, plus all four BR regions in steam, plus same in the diesel interim period, and was planning on continuing into early electric up to current day operations.

Having had a less than inspiring introduction to TRS2006, I was very hesitant when the Classic series came out but, on the strength of apparent much improved sound and trackwork etc., I purchased TC3 and although extremely frustrated when I loaded my layouts to find that the trackwork and many textures (and a few assets) were missing, the benefits did justify the legwork necessary to re-track, and re-texture as necessary. The conversion of my rolling stock (still in progress) is also a huge job but, again, can be justified.

Now TRS2009 is out with apparent further track improvements etc. however, I asked a Trainz colleague (who already has a copy up and running) to load up one of my layouts and let me know the end result. After only a cursory glance, he noticed that there were no stations, estimated about 50% of the textures gone, no signals, and a lot of extraneous trackwork that came from ........??????

Here is where you come in! I can fully understand the ongoing need to improve (which Auran have done well ..... which is why I am in TC3 now), and the benefits of revising the configuration for more effective operations, and making it more efficient with pc resources etc. etc. What I am at a loss to understand is why it is made a major task for current users to upgrade? Is it really necessary to make assets "unavailable" to "the next version"? Is there a reason (for example) why the built in track in TRS2004 could not have been made available (via DLS) to the Classic versions?

I will concede that perhaps most Trainzers are game players and probably just use whatever comes with their version, but surely there are many other Trainz people who would like to upload the fruits of their labour to the latest version?

Finally, does anybody have any ideas as to whether all my "converted to TC3" steam locos are going to show up and function in TRS2009?

Thx. Colin.

I suggest you grab a copy of TRS2009 then import both the built in content and and local folder. This can take some time as TRS2009 has to compress all the textures when it commits. Mine has been running for 24 hours so far.

Judging from the betas you get much better frame rates than TC3. Trs2009 already has practically all the TRS2004 / TRS2006 built in content.

Until we start to see new layouts and new scenery objects such as trees that work differently you won't see much difference with TRS2009 over TC3. From what I looked at on the production version of TRS2009 before pulling in the other content just one TC3 steam loco plus a bit of rolling stock it works correctly.

Why? Well unfortunately the world has changed since Trainz first came out. Texture compression wasn't really something that was solid but the newer versions are much better. There have been other changes to the graphics cards and they can now handle a heavier load. CPUs were single core they are now dual or quad so changing the program to take advantage of the newer cpus is probably sensible.

Error checking TRS2004 never was very good at it, it just took a performance hit when it came across an error.

Cheerio John

Hi Colin,

I'm still in Beta2 as I wait for the DVD later in December. I have all TRS2004,TRS2006,TC imported that I can find amounting to 129,000 assets with only 150 reported as unknown on DLS. I have fixed an awful lot of faulty errors in assets over the last three years but most of them are minor and in config. Generally don't affect game too much. However, very noticeable in TS2009 is that it is picking up a lot of missing textures and reporting faulty attachments in meshes that earlier CMPs did not. Hence now we know where to look for the problems. Obviously TS2009 is still a WIP with further bug fixes due in SP1 later in Dec08, and later in TEE. Also a lot of work is being done on DLS that will be beneficial.

I had a quick look in CM2 and here is a summary of what I found relating to your creations as reported on my machine:

Six routes
Nil sessions

Combined dependencies 1252 plus what comes with Sheffield.

One unknown asset
One missing dependencies
24 faulty assets

with Sheffield having a further 18 faulty assets.

I fixed 8 of the faulty assets in less than 15 minutes mostly minor config.
The remainder predominantly have missing textures and one power of two problem.

I then had a look in Surveyor at Rhubarb Junction LMS. I didn't see anything missing in quite a close scrutiny of total track length with all stations visible, signals OK visually, no missing textures that I was aware of. I think your mate must have looked in TS2009 mode, when he should have been in compatability mode. This would account for the missing items because of the related faults. The assets show up in compatability mode even if faulty most times. but not in TS2009 mode.

Only faults I found were:

1 Some stray foliage - known problem that Auran's working on and a lot less problem on your layout than others have.

2 A red and cream bus stalled between multi track crossing and blocking the road with cars driving through it.

I saw no rolling stock or locos.

regards

Ian

Colin --

I imported my PortOgden&Northern 1a intoTRS2006 beta and apart from a few minor issues (like a switch lever moving a few meters along the track) it all seemed perfect.

Now admittedly PO&N uses only dependencies that are built-in to TRS2004 or on the Download Station. Perhaps in your route you used dependencies that are in TC3 but not TRS2009?

If you go to the TC3 site here:

http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/

you will find a tutorial about importing dependencies that are built into TRS2006. I would suspect you can use the same method to import your missing dependencies from TC3 into TRS2009. Of course, if you want to distribute your route this might present a problem for other users.

Phil

Here's my opinion,

When I used UTC and TRS2004, I noticed the route builders I knew of, as they made more routes they switched from builtin content to more custom items. Wasn't a big deal at the time. There were some items I didn't use, I guess everyone has builtins they don't use.

Then I got Railwayz (TRS2006 and TC 1&2). I did like the basic idea regarding builtins for Classics because you started with less, this to me meant you would have less installed that you may not use. Less waste. I would have liked something like packs of the previous builtins made available and you install what you want, this would allow me to install what I would need and I would not be stuck with builtins that didn't get used. I did have the same problems of routes looking for builtins that were not there. I still have tried to spend time replacing these with custom items, that is just my preference. I didn't like the way TRS 2006 gave me more builtins which meant more stuff I may not use, there's just too many builtins to use them all especially when you consider different tastes and opinions.

I haven't seen what is in WBE to comment on it.

In short, I like the idea behind Classics, less builtins using less HD space and less waste giving you the minimum needed, there's enough content in several areas (track, trees, buildings, etc.) that we shouldn't need more than the minimum, I just think somehow the previous content should be made in packs or ZIP files done in groups like by region and type. Then people could download what they want/need. And the thing I noticed in TRS2004, route builders who started using more custom items, I think that should be done more, then a route would become usable by a greater number of people. Oh, and I did like how some Classics builtins were content available on DLS from other creators. If you use one, you wouldn't have to worry if someone else didn't have that item in their Classics builtins because it was on DLS.

So my preferences are less builtins but more of the ones from DLS and more use of custom items.

Classics did kinda kill or at least delay U-Make modules unless the U-M rules are changed.

Last edited:
Phil & Ian - Comments appreciated. I am starting to get a little more of an idea about TRS2009 ......... but clearly I will have to get my "partner" up to speed with his copy of it. At this point in time I cannot help but look back at the time it took to re-track some layouts (possibly not necessary in TRS2009) and the still on-going process of tinkering with the TRS2004 locos to get them working in TC3!

Thx again. Regards.

Colin.

...snip......... but clearly I will have to get my "partner" up to speed with his copy of it. At this point in time I cannot help but look back at the time it took to re-track some layouts (possibly not necessary in TRS2009) and the still on-going process of tinkering with the TRS2004 locos to get them working in TC3!
Thx again. Regards.
Colin.

I would/will wait until I have TS2009 operating on MY PC , prior to making comments on the path of Trainz .

My thoughts --- ,DLR

Colin,

Just a quick comment - the 2009 (Betas) had a fuction for replacing one kuid with another.
If you know (for example) that track (kuid -123:4567) isn't built in to TRS 2009, you can replace it with another quite simply. It's a real improvement on 2006

Colin

Colin,

Just a quick comment - the 2009 (Betas) had a fuction for replacing one kuid with another. If you know (for example) that track (kuid -123:4567) isn't built in to TRS 2009, you can replace it with another quite simply. It's a real improvement on 2006

Colin

Thx C .......... that is good news.

:)

C.

Back