An idea for a new driver command - what do others think?

shaneturner12

Tutorial Creator
Moderators - if I've put this in the wrong forum, please move it to the correct forum.

Hi Trainzers,

During one of my idea sessions (yes, I do have these sometimes), I was thinking about a particular idea for a new combined driver command, and want to know if it's feasible.

What I was thinking of is something along the lines of 'Load Until', which would be like combining a Load Command with a Wait Until command (so that the train continues to load passengers until the time given in the command, which could be set in 24 hour time or even having two commands, one for just minutes (for services that do it frequently) and one for a specific time). The reason I think this would be good is to simulate trains that load at a station for longer than 30 seconds-1 minute, which quite often happens here in the UK.

I know there are separate commands already for Load and Wait Until, but the drawback with that method is that the train does not load passengers during the Wait Until part.

Is this kind of command feasible with the current scripting system, and would there be any potential pitfalls to the method? Also, for those who are wondering why this is not in the Scripting forum, it's also relating to driver commands.

Any and all replies are welcome.

Shane

Hi Shane ,
Ill think it will be a nice , it is indeed strange see a train on a platform but doe notting for a longer time.

Leo

Agreed. This is a good one. This could work for keeping a train on a set schedule. Having the after-the-fact wait commands get snarky sometimes, and if the train skips the station, it will end up waiting on the mainline which can cause backups.

I wonder if this could be created though using the SCS utility.

John

It partially does what I'm after - it allows selecting certain amounts of minutes, but not an 'until time' feature (as trains usually leave at specific times).

Shane

Hi again

It has an Open Door command which you can follow with either a Wait For or Wait Until command and then a Close Door command. It may take a bit of experimentation to get the timings right.

Regards

Brian

I will have a look, but it sounds like it's going to need quite a few commands in order to get the right effect.

Thankyou for your responses so far though.

Shane

Hi Shane. Just a thought to chuck in for consideration. I really like your idea and would use it but... As the coaches have a max head count for loading would there need to be a tally there? Also with the platforms that auto generate passengers things could get a bit bogged down. That is as long as I read your intentions correctly.. Slap me if i got it wrong
Regards and Happy New Year to you all
Doug

I believe that the Driver Commands LOAD and UNLOAD rely on PerformMassStoppedLoad() in the Station scripts to open the doors, load or unload the train, and then close the doors. I think you would struggle to introduce any delay into this sequence. Re-opening the doors and waiting before closing them and driving off should be easy enough though.

Thankyou for your response Andi. It does give me some thoughts on how it would need to be done. Perhaps it's something that N3V could look into implementing into the script system in a future version.

Shane

It would be a useful Driver Command. Another useful feature would be if the initial route could be cleared just before the loading finishes. I use the "Load Passengers" command extensively and what happens is this:

"Instant Load TS12"
"Load Passengers 5 min"

After 5 minutes, the doors close, the train starts, reaches 7 mph then slows to 3 mph for 0.3 miles to the Station Starter signal showing a red aspect, despite the points (turnouts) being set for the correct route. As the train stops at the signal, the aspect changes to green and the train proceeds at line speed.

The initial "Load Passengers 5 mins" command has been extended by a further 1 minute 45 seconds by failing to have a clear signal and is completely unprototypical. If a real train had a red aspect at the Station Starter, the platform staff and the guard would not give the "Right Away" and the driver would not pull forward.

Shane,

This should be doable. The Wait Until command is just setting there, waiting for the appointed time. I don't see why the command couldn't also be loading passengers during this time.

David

What would be useful (and maybe someone can tell me if it's already possible), is for a train that has arrived and unloaded at a terminus, is then prepared later for departure.
i frequently get a message that tells me I must drive to x to load passengers if there is any kind of delay between unloading and loading. This is obviously a problem if you are already at said station.

What would be useful (and maybe someone can tell me if it's already possible), is for a train that has arrived and unloaded at a terminus, is then prepared later for departure.
i frequently get a message that tells me I must drive to x to load passengers if there is any kind of delay between unloading and loading. This is obviously a problem if you are already at said station.

If it is any help, you can do this through a sequence of commands:

Assuming you are using multiple unit stock where you have a driving cab at both ends, you follow this sequence.

Drive To Trackmark - "Terminus XYZ"
"Unload"
"Terminate Passenger Train" (This empties all carriages)
"Change Direction"
"Load Passengers" say "Right 5 minutes" or "Left 5 minutes" (whichever side the platform is)
OPTIONAL "Play Sound File" Guards Whistle
OPTIONAL "Wait" 5 seconds
OPTIONAL "Hornz"
OPTIONAL "Instant Load" (if you feel the Load Passengers command hasn't put enough bums on seats!)
"Drive To Trackmark"

Your train will now move out of the station with its new passengers.

Hi Sterrett

The initial "Load Passengers 5 mins" command has been extended by a further 1 minute 45 seconds by failing to have a clear signal and is completely unprototypical. If a real train had a red aspect at the Station Starter, the platform staff and the guard would not give the "Right Away" and the driver would not pull forward.

Use a Path Set command followed by an Autodrive command to get round this problem.

Regards

Brian

If it is any help, you can do this through a sequence of commands:

Assuming you are using multiple unit stock where you have a driving cab at both ends, you follow this sequence.

Drive To Trackmark - "Terminus XYZ"
"Unload"
"Terminate Passenger Train" (This empties all carriages)
"Change Direction"
"Load Passengers" say "Right 5 minutes" or "Left 5 minutes" (whichever side the platform is)
OPTIONAL "Play Sound File" Guards Whistle
OPTIONAL "Wait" 5 seconds
OPTIONAL "Hornz"
OPTIONAL "Instant Load" (if you feel the Load Passengers command hasn't put enough bums on seats!)
"Drive To Trackmark"

Your train will now move out of the station with its new passengers.

Thanks - I shall try that when I get back home from my daughter's home in the next day or two.

Back