Altitude adjustment

rick1958

I know this topic has come up in the past, but I'm stumped...
I have a small two board route I want to merge into a larger map.
I need to change 0.0 altitude to 126
I change the altitude with World Orgin, and it works... 0.0 is now 126... Great!
I save, go back in and 0.0 is STILL 126... Still GREAT!
I merge the route into the larger map, all goes well...BUT... the route reverts back to 0.0 (not so great)

I don't have any idea why a saved route would revert back to it orginal altitude... only when merged??!!

Any ideas or fixes?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Not long ago, I tried this myself and had exactly the same very confusing results.

That used to work but I think it's bugged now. I think that was confirmed by @pware and others.

I believe you can do an altitude change using TransDEM. You will need to check the user guide to find the details.
PG
Yes, you can do this with early versions prior to T:ANE SP3 I think. Anything newer and there's that file structure change with all the bits and pieces that no longer works.

World Origin height change is not doing anything to the actual height, it just add to the reading/showing of height info.
So of course when you merge such a map to another, the fake shown height is going back to what it is really, as the now new merged map has not this artificial height set in World Origin.

so it is not a true bug per say, at least my take on things.
Remember, for me it is age old understanding of Trainz from the days when TransDEM still could read Trainz files...

merge the route into the larger map, all goes well...BUT... the route reverts back to 0.0 (not so great
Linda is correct. When you merged the adjusted route into the larger route it began using the world origin of the larger route. But the world origin is just a virtual benchmark for the tools that measure height. It doesn't change the grid.

Hi, Linda. I hope you are doing well.

World Origin height change is not doing anything to the actual height, it just add to the reading/showing of height info.
So of course when you merge such a map to another, the fake shown height is going back to what it is really, as the now new merged map has not this artificial height set in World Origin.

so it is not a true bug per say, at least my take on things.
Remember, for me it is age old understanding of Trainz from the days when TransDEM still could read Trainz files...
Hey Linda!! I'm glad you showed up to the party and thank you for that explanation. Actually The route I wanted to change the height to was a route you shared with me MANY years ago... Remember "Gold Island"? I was going to take the "Island", move it up into the San Juan Mountains... LOL Your "0" altitutude would have to be 127. Oh well, I guess it will stay an island...LOL

Another thing that might work is that you create two new boards at the correct height, and then copy and paste the contents of your existing board over, minus the height information. Then you could save a new route with the old boards deleted to merge into the larger route.

Another thing that might work is that you create two new boards at the correct height, and then copy and paste the contents of your existing board over, minus the height information. Then you could save a new route with the old boards deleted to merge into the larger route.
I thought of that to, and tried it, but without the height, everything lies flat on the new baseboard

Which at least gives you the option of re-creating the hills and track gradients on the new boards if you chose to. It is the only viable option as far as I can see.
Yeah... Apparently you're right. It seems it would be a fairly simple option to add. Maybe have the option to type in the base altitude of the object being cut 'n paste or keep it "as-is". Thanks for the input though.

Granted I know nothing about software or game design but what I don't understand is - presumably everything in a Route has a height value like the spline points, objects and grid squares. Why should it be impossible to simple add an equal amount say +36 metres to each height value ?

If Dr. Ziegler did this with the older versions of Trainz, I don't see why N3V won't do this with the current versions. Is there something lost in the terrain-modeling code that no one has looked at since Auran met its demise?

It may take some concerted effort to develop this option but in the end the community would be more than grateful for it since this kind of question and issue has been going on for as long as I've been here, going on 21 years now come December 28th, and I'm sure this was an issue before that.

Back