All Hail the Metric system !

I'm willing to bet that most people in the United States understand the metric system, but I don't think they can relate to it as much. For example, if you told someone that something weighs 100 pounds they could probably size it up pretty well in their head without looking at the object, but if you told them it weighs 45 kilos I don't think they could imagine it so well.

I agree. It's all about the zero representation. Most people, public that is, don't understand the powers of 10 unless they took an engineering course. The representation of, centi, kilo, mega, etc. becomes vague because they focus on the number and not the suffix which doesn't exist in the Imperial system in the same fashion. If someone said he weighs 100 lbs. or 45,000 grams, they'd think differently.

John

i still can't figure out why most of europe drives on the wrong side of the road lol, its the same type of concept

Nobody drives on the 'wrong' side of the road. In some countries they drive on the left hand side others the right, but they are always on the 'right' side for the country they are in.:D

It goes back to Napoleon, I believe.

However, back to topic, just imagine the dificulties the Anglo-Saxons would have had if they had been modelling for Trainz in those days:
one barleycorn = one-third of an inch.
one ell == one and a quarter yards

Ray

Last edited:
In countries where motorists drive on the left side of the road ... do supermarket shoppers also travel on the left side of the isles ?

No - they all travel in the opposite direction to me.

Ray

It goes back to Napoleon, I believe.

However, back to topic, just imagine the dificulties the Anglo-Saxons would have had if they had been modelling for Trainz in those days:
one barleycorn = one-third of an inch.
one ell == one and a quarter yards

Ray

Whether it was a popular folk story or genuine history I know not (a bit like King Alfred burning the cakes) I was always taught that it goes back to "Bluff King Hal" or King Henry VIII!

In order to standardise sales of a "yard of cloth" when King Henry became furious at being told that a draper had sold insufficient cloth for his tunic, when the same shop had previously sold the same quantity and his tailor had enough cloth! (and King Henry's clothes needed a lot of yardage, owing to his massive appetite and consequent bouts of gout and obesity!) Up until that point, the yard had been taken as the length from the shopkeeper's nose tip to the tip of his index finger - and of course that varied according to the shopkeeper's physical size. A carpenter was called to make an official yardstick, by which the entire nation's measures would be standardised and this yardstick was notched in three equal places. The distance, allegedly, of each piece equated to the size of King Henry's foot.

Because a shilling comprised twelve pennies, and people were used to items being sold by the "dozen", it was decided to divide the "foot" into twelve equal portions for smaller measurements - quite where the name "inch" came from, I can't recall.

Metric is easier, except when I do carpentry because I learnt imperial! If you tell me something's two feet long, or to go and get a length of four by two, I can visualise it.

It may be easier, but metric's not half as much fun -there aren't any stories attached to it (unless someone knows different!)

Maybe it came about because of the Wee Kircudbright Centipede!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nd0pM1CbA8

Why do we drive on the left? It probably dates back to long before the US existed. A knight wth a sword in his right hand would drive his mount to the left of his attacker. I reckon that lefties died young in those days. So the question is - why do other countries drive on the wrong sdie of the road? May be the lefties had faster horses.

Peter

Having read all the posts for and against, I'm like other people, I can visualize one foot etc. One metre, duh? I think that there is one place in the world that Imperial is King and that's in the air. All aircraft fly at X ft not X metres. I'm of listening to programmes where the interviewee says he was flying at X ft and then narrator in summing up says X metres/meters. I call using both measurements a medical condition called "miximus measurementis". One programme said that something was 50 feet offshore and 10 metres/meters down. Howzat then?

Why do we drive on the left? It probably dates back to long before the US existed. A knight wth a sword in his right hand would drive his mount to the left of his attacker. I reckon that lefties died young in those days. So the question is - why do other countries drive on the wrong sdie of the road? May be the lefties had faster horses.

Peter
The reason I have heard is different. In Britain horses were normally controlled by a coachman sitting on the vehicle. He would tend to sit on the right so would keep to the left of the (dirt track) road to keep clean. On the continent postilions were more common and they sat on the left hand horse so would keep to the right hand side for the same reason. However if one looks at early cine film of towns, one sees chaos without any rule of the road!

However if one looks at early cine film of towns, one sees chaos without any rule of the road!

......as can still be seen in rural towns in Italy where everyone converges into the town square and battles their way through!

Whether it was a popular folk story or genuine history I know not (a bit like King Alfred burning the cakes) I was always taught that it goes back to "Bluff King Hal" or King Henry VIII!

Quite right of course, sterrett - when I referred to Napoleon, I was only talking about the previous post which was about driving on the left or right, not about the metric system.

By the way, does anyone still use the rod, pole or perch? - five and a quarter yards if I remember my old exercise books correctly, in other words a quarter of a chain. And an old gardening book I used to have said that a standard 'allotment' in the UK was one rood. I can't remember what that was but it was enough for my father to keep us well supplied with fruit and veg during the War (second, that is - I'm not that old!) (For non-UK residents, an 'allotment' is a council-owned piece of land which families can rent for growing crops for their own use - probably dating from when very few houses had gardens.)

Peter - I believe that spiral staircases in castles were 'handed' to make it harder for attacking swordsmen to use their weapons when they were coming up.

Ray

Hmm.. now that I think about, we were learning about the metric system ourselves just about the same time we changed from degrees F to degrees C, and all the rest of it. If you wanted to make sure you were getting your money's worth, you had to know how many grams were in an ounce. I believe 28 grams was close enough. About this time the schools just could not hang onto a set of scales. Oh the good old days, I can barely remember them???

Cheers.....Rick

I gave my allotment up about ten years ago, and although the council only refered to them as plots, or half plots, I recall the allotment holders refering to them as one or two pole.
Wasn't a pole the distance from the back of the plough to the front of the ox pulling it? i.e. the length of the rod the ploughman enticed the ox with.
Chris.

As stated, I use the Metric system, however there is one exception: Driving trains in-game. This is because I run British trains and the speedboards are in MPH.

I cannot visualise any imperial units having never had to use them. All I have is a conversion chart in a Queensland Rail employee diary which helps a bit. This is what the QR diary says:

Imperial to Metric:

1 inch = 2.54 cm
1 sq in = 6.45 sq cm
1 sq yd = 0.84 sq cm
1 mile = 1.6 km
1 sq mile = 2.6 sq km
1 acre = 0.4 hectares
1 lb = 0.45 kg
1 gallon = 4.55 litres
1 ton = 1,016 kg
1 pint = 0.57 litre
1 hp = 0.75 kw
1 cubic ft = 0.028 cubic metres

Metric to Imperial:

1 cm = 0.39 inch
1 sq cm = 0.15 sq in
1 sq m = 1.19 sq yd
1 km = 0.62 miles
1 sq km = 0.38 sq miles
1 hectare = 2.47 acres
1 kg = 2.2 lb
1 litre = 0.22 gallon
1 tonne = 0.98 ton
1 litre = 1.76 pints
1 kw = 1.34 hp
1 cubic metre = 35.31 ft

Hope this helps people who use Metric visualise Imperial and vice versa. :)

Kieran.

Distance wise I know a foot ruler is about the same as 30cms and a metre and yard are roughly the same.

I was taught imperial and metric, will happily use both, but mostly think in imperial.

Distance wise I know a foot ruler is about the same as 30cms and a metre and yard are roughly the same.

I was taught imperial and metric, will happily use both, but mostly think in imperial.

that difference would quickly add up though. for instance a meter is 3.2808 feet while a yard is just 3 feet...

Back