All Hail the Metric system !

And another curiosity: The British built 3 ft 6 narrow gauge railways in Africa, but in the Indian subcontinent, they built 1000 mm, more than a century ago. Why did they do that?
Because at that time the British government was trying for the first time (unsuccessfully) to introduce the metric system. We are still waiting.

I suspect that pre-metric measurements were based on what could conveniently be used to measure with at the time. It can't have been all that bad as human civilization managed to drag itself up to a reasonable level before the metric system came along.

Even in the modern world not everything is base ten. I understand the device I am using to post this message uses base two rather than ten.

Hi Everybody.
It seems in Britain that as far as currency is concerned the metric system has become fully accepted. However, with weights and measures we seem to have fallen between two stools at present with both systems being used. In my work I am forced to use the metric system in dealing with many companies. That said, some of our work involving industrial accident/incident investigation does involve our written reports being used as evidence in industrial tribunal's or other courts.

In the above we are often requested by solicitors to re-write our reports using imperial weights and measures or to dual list them with reasons given as "some persons involved in the court process may not understand one or the other system". I often think that if some of our judges here in Britain cannot be bothered to update themselves on the metric weights and measure system perhaps they cannot be bothered to update themselves in other things that they may be involved in when dishing out their justice.

Bill

No matter how long I have used metric, I noticed that Ii still think of getting 'a half dozen' when buying things like in bulk.
I wonder why 'a half metric' (5) of something never eventuated?

Bob (CRO)

We don't buy things as 'half a dozen', in Oz we ask for a 'six-pack'. Packaging is the reason, the only format for a pack of five cans would be five cans long whereas six cans form a 3x2 rectangle. Metrication has nothing to do with multipack quantities, 6 and 12 make the most economical packages, both from the pack materials used and for fitting on a pallet. To make a rectangle, the pack quantity has to be divisible by 2

Cheers!

Peter

I use the imperial system. I think it is very easy to understand. All you need to know if you were raised in the metric system that 1 Kilometer is a bit smaller than a mile and let's face it Auran jacked up the metric system so badly that it's far from acurate.

I use the imperial system. I think it is very easy to understand. All you need to know if you were raised in the metric system that 1 Kilometer is a bit smaller than a mile and let's face it Auran jacked up the metric system so badly that it's far from acurate.

no it isnt. there isnt anything wrong with the in-game units.

The US spent the better part of the past two centuries implementing metric system in various forms. Heck, Jefferson, Washington, Hamilton, and a few others wanted to adopt a very similar decimal based measurement system before the metric system was even developed and formalized in France. They just keep coming up short despite treaties, laws, etc. being passed. So for the time being I'll guess we'll stick with 20 oz and 2 liter cokes.

Metric? Nah!

My understanding is that we can still use Imperial here in Gt Britain and occasionally you wil get a news announcer mentioning miles in a report but I would say the vast majority of adults still think, inches, feet, yards, miles. Heavnes, I stil miss shillings, threepenny bits, silver sixpences, guineas and pennies. Metric means fag all to me and I use Imperial in Trainz and will continue to do so. People telling me something is n metre or centimeters leaves me looking blank and bamboozled. Same applies to the speed of a vehicle and most folk i know still talk about MPH. so Imperial stays with me come what may and will not let the sun set on it.

Build in metric, as that's what maps use, and have done in the UK since 1936.
Drive in imperial, as that's what the real railway used in the era I'm modelling.

I don't see any problem with using both, depending on the context. In real life I use miles when driving, stones/lbs when weighing myself :eek:, pints in the pub, metric for pretty much everything else.

What about "real" modelling, where we mostly (UK) use 4mm/1ft, Europe/USA use 3.5mm/1ft or 7mm/1ft?

i am almost 36 years old, from indianapolis indiana, and wasn't raised on the metric system and probably never will use it in trainz, i don't even use it when i am working on my cars lol, the u.s just had to use its own system, if i would have been raised on the metric system things would be a little difrent.

I hate to tell you ... but everything you do anything in surveyor ... you are using the metric system, with every numeral you see, use, and enter into a pane.

I was brought up on the imperial system ... And I was promised the metric system (and a moon exploration jump off base by 2006) ... and nothing ever happened ... The US just regressed into failure to teach, and US childrens learning skills failed miserably, once again.

When even I, can understand, and use the metric system efficiently ... that says something for the rest of non-compliant mankind.

I wrote the book: http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/TrainzForDummies.png

Last edited:
I hate to tell you ... but everything you do anything in surveyor ... you are using the metric system, with every numeral you see, use, and enter into a pane.

I was brought up on the imperial system ... And I was promised the metric system (and a moon exploration jump off base by 2006) ... and nothing ever happened ... The US just regressed into failure to teach, and US childrens learning skills failed miserably, once again.

nothing you said is entirely true.

just because i avoid the metric system in most cases, doesn't mean i don't know how to use it, i just prefer the imperial system. just like i prefer mph over k , each to there own.

just because i avoid the metric system in most cases, doesn't mean i don't know how to use it, i just prefer the imperial system. just like i prefer mph over k , each to there own.

I agree, I have only used the imperial system, but I still understand the metric.

Most people are too set in their ways, to try to learn to use the metric system.

In countries where motorists drive on the left side of the road ... do supermarket shoppers also travel on the left side of the isles ?

I'm willing to bet that most people in the United States understand the metric system, but I don't think they can relate to it as much. For example, if you told someone that something weighs 100 pounds they could probably size it up pretty well in their head without looking at the object, but if you told them it weighs 45 kilos I don't think they could imagine it so well.

Back