AI problem......

IGoDwnTwn

Say your AI train is stopped at a red signal because of traffic ahead. After 2 minutes...the traffic has cleared and your AI train receives an "approach" signal ( that's yellow in railroad worker terms). Trainz has already taken that train out of AI mode. You have to restart the AI by right-clicking "drive". Is there a way to have Trainz never take an AI consist out of AI? Is there an "auto restart" in AI? It gets frustration when you have to go back to the other end of your layout to restart an AI consist.

IGO

Need more info Igo, what you describe shouldn't happen.

The only thought I have is that there is no signal beyond the signal facing the train, but in that case the signal should stay red....

Andy :)

PS - love the new sig Ed: Ouch!

Say......Your AI train approaches and stops at a red signal......and stays at that signal showing red. The signal stays red for 2 minutes. The train, after 1 minute behind the signal, is released from AI control and goes into "manual" control by itself. The signal becomes yellow. You have to go to that train and restablish AI control by right-clicking and choosing "drive". Is there a way that the train never comes out of AI control no matter how long the signal is red or yellow ....or green for that matter!!

Last edited:
The train, after 1 minute behind the signal, is released from AI control and goes into "manual" control by itself.

That's the bit we don't understand. It shouldn't happen. To work out why it happens we need more info about the track layout, signal arrangement, other trains, driver commands being followed etc. What version of Trainz are you using, what OS is your computer running? A screenshot (including the driver command bar) or sketch diagram of the problem area might help....

Andy ;)

I think I understand the problem...

IGoDwnTwn, did you originally start the trains driving by right-clicking on them and selecting "drive"?

you need to give the driver a drive to industry/station/portal command, then if a red signal comes up it'll wait until that signal changes aspect then move on.

Nonsense to most of the above answers. As far as I can remember it has been that way since the earliest Trainz. I fail to see why people are asking what version you are running. It has nothing to do with the way signals are located. For example: You issue a command to couple to a specific car at a specific time. A consist arrives and uncouples his loco. It goes to a siding and another loco should couple to the specific car of that isolated consist. And it does as it is supposed to happen. But if the consist arrives to the station later than it is supposed to be, the loco to be coupled to the specific car, sees nothing and goes out of AI ! Then you have to issue a manual command to continue if you want it to couple. All this is complex and advanced. I don't think Auran has the patience to fix or modify these complexities!

I think I understand the problem...

IGoDwnTwn, did you originally start the trains driving by right-clicking on them and selecting "drive"?

yes...exactly.....maybe this will help.

I use bascially two routes.....Hudson River (Grand Central and north up the Hudson River) and NEC. I added loops on both ends of routes so that trains can run continuously back and forth. SO all I have to do is start them by right-clicking and choosing drive...the AI takes over and runs the trains. All trackage and switches are set. It's just like a basement trainset. The trains just go around and around and around. In this case ...from one end of the route to the other..then loops back in the opposite direction.

IGO

Last edited:
yes...exactly.....maybe this will help.

I use bascially two routes.....Hudson River (Grand Central and north up the Hudson River) and NEC. I added loops on both ends of routes so that trains can run continuously back and forth. SO all I have to do is start them by right-clicking and choosing drive...the AI takes over and runs the trains. All trackage and switches are set. It's just like a basement trainset. The trains just go around and around and around. In this case ...from one end of the route to the other..then loops back in the opposite direction.

IGO

@IGO: There is a bar at the bottom of the screen where you can issue commands to drivers. This will resolve the problem you are having. For more information, read the manual found in the launcher.

@everyone else: This is not intended to be rude or abusive, but please read the post and try to read between the lines a little bit.

Last edited:
@IGO: There is a bar at the bottom of the screen where you can issue commands to drivers. This will resolve the problem you are having. For more information, read the manual found in the launcher.

@everyone else: This is not intended to be rude or abusive, but please read the post and try to read between the lines a little bit.

I believe the give driver direct commands was a suggestion I posted on the 20th.

Well.....I don't want the train to go from Point A to point B. All I want it to do is run...obeying all speed restrictions a signals. Is that asking too mmuch?...lol

IGO

Whichever way you look at it that is the easy answer.
The drive command does not allow the driver to change points. he/she will just go to the first red signal and wait. They are just going forward with no specific destination.
If you want your consists to go round your track without stopping place trackmarks around your system and give them drive via trackmark commands with repeat at the end . They will then change points as required to follow your commands.

Back