A call for high-quality routes

Hi Roy,

Any and all applications are more than welcome. Please read the trainzdev post for application details.

chris

Well... First post back here in... Maybe years... Well...

After checking my content on the Download Station, a large amount of my routes have been downloaded many thousands of times... So yeah, it'd be interesting to know if Auran considered any of my routes to be of "High Quality"...

Feel free to rummage through

It might be worthwhile looking with Tafweb's tool dlscount and seeing which are the most popular currently.

Cheerio John

I actually prefer prototypical routes. The model railroad type routes are OK for a while, but I'm the type of person that likes to have a sense of realism when I operate. I can't stand to see the train going through the same yard 2 or 3 times. Take the routes in the original versions of Trainz, for instance. I did enjoy them, but I'd much rather do a long haul than go in circles around the same town. No offense to any creators out there.

I am creating a 100+ mile route based on the prototypical Indiana Rail Road from Indianapolis to Sullivan, using a DEM map. There are 3 tall trestles, a short tunnel, and numerous sidings. There is a large yard in Indianapolis, and a 10-mile branch in Bloomington. All prototypical industries are included, along with their respective commodities for loading/unloading.

This is why I like the prototypical routes. The varieties are virtually endless. On my INRD route, I can take 3 SD60's and a 90 car coal train from the black coal fields of southern Indiana, grinding up the 2% max grades, over the towering trestles, and finally to the oustkirts of Indianapolis. Or I can highball a lash-up of SD40-2's and GP38's with petroleum, refrigerators, and plastics from the CSX interchange down south to terminal in Indianapolis.

Again, no offense to anybody. Just thought I'd put in my 2 cents. :)

Along with the above user, I was working on the Indiana Railroads original line through Illinois and Indiana.
Although this project came to an abrupt halt recently, I plan to resume very soon.
However I do not feel that this would be good enough for a Trainz release.

But allow me to recommend the above route.

Woody

I would like my CSX Saginaw Sub, CN Holly Sub, Detroit Connecting Railroad, and Conrail Lincoln Secondary included. I spent alot of time on them, people like them, and are high in quality - yet kept the framerates in mind. All 4 are currently at the Download Station.

Local Backdrops

Maybe someone could explain what goes into creating a backdrop, as that could go a long way in developing a local feel to a route.

Can one be created from a photograph or it a much more complicated process?

I'd be interested on hearing from the experts on this.

Thanks,

Driver Tom

Maybe someone could explain what goes into creating a backdrop, as that could go a long way in developing a local feel to a route.

Can one be created from a photograph or it a much more complicated process?

I'd be interested on hearing from the experts on this.

Thanks,

Driver Tom

Basically it's a texture on a big plane so yes a photograph would work fine. If you have a suitable photo I could probably throw one together for you.

Cheerio John

Thanks, John. Is it a difficult procedure? What I would like to do is a realistic route with photo backdrops providing the scenery/cityscape.

Ofcourse, this would take many photographs to accomplish and I'm not sure if the logistics would prove it to be a deal-killer.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how did it turn out? And what exactly is the procedure?

Thanks for your help.

Driver Tom.

Thanks, John. Is it a difficult procedure? What I would like to do is a realistic route with photo backdrops providing the scenery/cityscape.

Ofcourse, this would take many photographs to accomplish and I'm not sure if the logistics would prove it to be a deal-killer.

Has anyone done this before? If so, how did it turn out? And what exactly is the procedure?

Thanks for your help.

Driver Tom.

It's very easy to do, it has been done on some UK routes but as you say getting the shots in on a long route is logistically difficult. email me a photo and I'll stick it on a plane for you and then you can play. Scenery objects tend to look a bit more realistic to me as the view changes as you go by.

jwhelan0112 gmail.com

Cheerio John

Back