3d persons in Trainz

G.M.

3d persons in Trainz

We have an eyecandy Trainsimulator, with high detailed grass, trees and building materials
but when it comes to people, we all use neoklai 17 year old people
and yes they are very nice, but sometimes i want a little more realistic, uptodate
So did a little searching for 3d people and found Anna (i call her that way)

She works at a design agency, and wears a hat to be different
she likes Nirvana, and like any modern woman spents a lot of time on her top model fone
unlike most people in Trainz she wears a coat, must be a rare item downunder.

Used mesh optimize to make 3 lods in gmax
just 1 texture 512x512, no pbr, no need if the model has enough detail

ofc. trainz nags about it being more than 10k poly....
file size would be 1.9mb that's less than half a sac of cement :)
would we be interested in such characters?

Anton is 50 and inbetween jobs, he likes his beer cold
and shouts Go ! Max ! as max verstappen grabs the F1 world champions title

he has less than 10k poly and trainz doesn't nag, 1,6mb

Last edited:
I suspect the problem comes when you have 50 at a station that are all different.

With the wagons we used a technique of different tops attached to a high detailed chassis, the repetition on the chassis helps performance but I can't think where you'd use it here. Off with their heads?

Cheerio John

unlike most people in Trainz she wears a coat, must be a rare item downunder.

We do have the odd day in winter where the temperature drops below 20C - I have a jacket or two somewhere in my wardrobe for those occasions. The last time I used them on a regular basis was on a trip to the UK/Ireland during the northern spring in 2019.

Used mesh optimize to make 3 lods in gmax
just 1 texture 512x512, no pbr, no need if the model has enough detail

ofc. trainz nags about it being more than 10k poly....
file size would be 1.9mb that's less than half a sac of cement :)

Its good to see that creators are taking LODs seriously but, as you pointed out, is it worth the penalties for relatively small objects?

I suspect the problem comes when you have 50 at a station that are all different.

Add in John's point above and all that work and detail becomes undone. Users will usually have no problems with the same building asset being used repeatedly throughout a route to reduce the performance overheads as there are many ways you can disguise the repetitions - facing different sides towards the track, attaching other buildings or structures, hiding behind trees, etc. But those strategies do not work when the assets are people. Somehow we tend to notice when Anna and Anton appear at every station along the route.

For the sake of improved performance I tend to ignore who the passengers are, what they look like or how much lack of detail they have. As I have often heard an old railwayman remark, the trains would run perfectly if we didn't have to have passengers.

My thoughts.

We do have the odd day in winter where the temperature drops below 20C - I have a jacket or two somewhere in my wardrobe for those occasions. The last time I used them on a regular basis was on a trip to the UK/Ireland during the northern spring in 2019.
-snip-
My thoughts.

I would love it to be 20C, or 68F. As I type this, it's 39F, or 3.89C, but feels like 32F, or 0C, due to the wind.

I would love it to be 20C, or 68F. As I type this, it's 39F, or 3.89C, but feels like 32F, or 0C, due to the wind.

Up here in the north we had a high today of 21 F, or -6 C. Tonight, it's supposed to be 9 F, or -13 C. The good news is we're warming up to 39 F, roughly 4 C on Monday.

hi weather talkers

Bill is a happy camper, wears his Patagonia cap
maxed out in Runescape and just signed on for TRS22+

ever seen a person smile in Trainz?
gmax, no pbr, 2.4mb filesize
Using lods since 2004, it's essential

a mini video
[video]https://www.mediafire.com/file/d9f1gcspq5nzwey/pas.mp4/file[/video]

Last edited:
A good start, however considering just how many people objects you'll have in a scene I would strongly recommend aiming for much faster LODs.

I would recommend taking a look at the 'RP ' assets, under userID 942118, in TRS22 (note, you might need to have the new routes installed to see them) to see the sort of LODs to be aiming for. As a note, more of these should hopefully become available later on (and are already included in the new passenger set for TRS22); along with a lot of other stock models that we've converted.

A quick check of one shows:
29k at 0m-10m
6k at 10m-15m
983 at 15m-50m
240 at 50m-1000m (where the object then disappears)

Even then, in a city scene, there is a very real possibility of having substantial numbers of people, so even at 240 triangles beyond 50m you could still add up to a lot of tris in a scene quite quickly.

Remember that at the further distances, people become extremely small, so you're more looking to make the silhouette rather than a recognizable person at that point.

As to the warning regarding the highest LODs, this is there to just make sure you think about if the highest LOD is necessary. In the case of people, I do think it can be as these are often going to be seen quite close to the train (ie think of putting people at level crossings, or on platforms; even in the cab view you can see them very close up at times).

Regards

TY for the tips Zec

ofc. as Plus and beta testing TRS22 seen the nice new passengers
much to my surprise I found the original meshes/textures on the internet
and so many more.
Just toying a bit with these and learning mesh optimize a bit more
and learned how to import .OBJ into gmax,
which gives me access to a huge many free meshes.

For the new passenger product (prod passenger 2020),
can you ask iliosin, who made/converted it for Trainz,
to add a little self illumination to the material?
not as much as the CRM passengers,
but just enough they won't be total dark at night.

Am using lods since 2004 and do where possible
greetings GM

Back