Undeletable Splines

NJCurmudgeon

I've been encountering an odd and frustrating glitch with splines recently. The first was when a grass and shrub spline somehow was accidentally mislaid. I didn't notice it until I was in Driver. It extended from where I had been putting the splines out into the middle of a suburban street. It could have been a simple misclick. I went back into Surveyor but could not delete it. What was odd was that it extended from a riverbank where I had been adding them, across the river and into the suburban street without following the contour of the river as would have been normal. It just hung over it as if it were a bridge. I closed out and reopened and had the same problem. Then I went into the objects pallet and used the delete there and it deleted it! It was as if it was seeing a spline as an object like a building.

The second glitch was with a track bridge. I have an embankment with double rails on it running through a small town with bridges over where the streets cross beneath it. I placed the bridge to connect with the track end on the embankment but placed the other end off to the side so I could set the height and swing it over to align with the embankment. I couldn't raise the height nor move the end of the spline. Nor could I delete it or even get rid of it with "undo." It happened twice. I was able to move the double rails. It was just the bridge. Though since this also happened with the grass/shrubs spline, I'm thinking this is more than just a freak occurrence and may hint at a more fundamental issue.

It's Trainz 2009 patched up to current. Thanks for any assistance!

Sometime splines seem to have a mind of their own!

Can you move the spline at all? If so, try moving it to a clearer area of your route and try deleting it from its new position.

The other thought is that the spline may have been laid via one Surveyor flyout, and you are trying to delete it from another. It’s not always the fault of the Surveyor either. Track and objects have sometimes been uploaded into the wrong grouping. I’ve found this the hard way a few times!:eek:

Hi Mezzoprezzo,

Nope. At least with the bridge, I couldn't move it, delete it or change the height. I was in the correct pallet - I double checked since I've made that mistake before. What was odd was that the delete on the objects pallet (the one with the little house icon) was what deleted the grass spline in the first instance! Didn't work with the second, though. These are both splines I've used before without problem, so I don't think it's that they were uploaded to the wrong categories.

"Sometime splines seem to have a mind of their own!" Ain't that the truth!!

I found a bit of a messy way around this, as long as you don't have many instances of using the same spline elsewhere on your layout.

1. Identify the kuid of the offending spline.
2. Open up CM2 and search for your layout.
3. Right click your route and choose the option "Edit in Explorer".
4. Right click on "config.txt" and choose "Edit" option.
5. Delete the offending kuid from the kuid table in the config.txt and save the config.txt file. (Close notepad/wordpad or whatever editor you used to edit the file). Close the File Explorer window.
6. In CM2, right click your route and choose "commit".
7. Close CM2 and Launch Trainz again.
8. Open your route in Surveyor (ignore any prompts, if any, that refer to missing content).
9. When your route opens up, from the top left list of options, choose "Delete Missing Assets" and then save your route.

The offender has now gone forever, but you will need to replace the item if you used it anywhere else on your route.

Messy I know, but it has worked for me on a few occasions!

Known issue for route developers, N3V never heard of it and don't care since it's TS2010 which is yesterday's trash. Considering TS2010 44088 and TRS2009 patch 4 are allegedly the same build number the bug probably also happens in 2009.

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=73563

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=74293

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=74609

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=74952

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=78557

Problem is it's one of them intermittent things and too subtle for easy detection - track or spline somehow turns into fixed object, when did it happen? Until you try to alter or delete it, it doesn't look or behave any different so there's no way to tell when it happened, therefore no clues as to what triggered it. My number one suspect is the quad plate girder bridge as the underlying trigger, but since the bug is both random and stealthy I've never been able to prove or disprove to scientific certainty.

Known issue for route developers, N3V never heard of it and don't care since it's TS2010 which is yesterday's trash.

It still happens in TS12..................

However, as it's an occasional, random, glitch I guess the developers would find replicating the problem difficult.

Well that was strange.....

I had another unclickable rail bridge this afternoon. It wasn't too far from where I intended it, so I just left it and worked around it. An hour or so later, after working on other parts of the route and testing them in Driver, I went back to that bridge and, Trainz Gods Be Praised, I could manipulate it again. Have no idea what happened or why...

The grass spline I first had the problem with seems to have turned into a static object since the delete button on that pallet is what allowed me to get rid of it. But that doesn't seem to be the case with the bridge. I tried pretty much every pallet to see if it had turned into something else, but no.

Bizarre...

This has happened to me and no matter what I did couldn't get the dashed bridge to go. I have ended up covering almost all of it with an embankment and scenery!

rjhowie...you have just added a whole new element to the world of Trainz: archeology! Years from now, little "archeologistz" will unearth your bridge and wonder at the civilization that built it! :D

I found a bit of a messy way around this, as long as you don't have many instances of using the same spline elsewhere on your layout.

1. Identify the kuid of the offending spline.
2. Open up CM2 and search for your layout.
3. Right click your route and choose the option "Edit in Explorer".
4. Right click on "config.txt" and choose "Edit" option.
5. Delete the offending kuid from the kuid table in the config.txt and save the config.txt file. (Close notepad/wordpad or whatever editor you used to edit the file). Close the File Explorer window.
6. In CM2, right click your route and choose "commit".
7. Close CM2 and Launch Trainz again.
8. Open your route in Surveyor (ignore any prompts, if any, that refer to missing content).
9. When your route opens up, from the top left list of options, choose "Delete Missing Assets" and then save your route.

The offender has now gone forever, but you will need to replace the item if you used it anywhere else on your route.

Messy I know, but it has worked for me on a few occasions!

Really? What version of Trainz was that that it worked in? For TS2010 and TS12 you have to delete the asset itself if it's not built in for the "Delete missing assets" utility to work, the KUID table in the route's config.txt is used ONLY by the download helper. If you delete every KUID from the KUID table and leave it empty and go on from step 7, it won't delete anything since nothing is actually missing, and will rebuild the entire KUID table when you save it.

Ha, ha, you could well be right there NJCurmedgeon! When I have finished building this whole of N. Ireland Rlysm folk looking closer will realise as they enter Ballymena Station along the embankment there are odd safety railings on and a kind of slight odd lump at the side. Others might wait for a later dig.....:hehe:

Since I have Trainz 2009, I don't have layers. I know this is off-topic for this thread, but how do they work? I'm familiar with layers in graphics programs like Photoshop and Illustrator.

rjhowie: are you recreating an actual real life line? I've been creating a fictitious one, but hope eventually to have a city, town, country, seaport/industrial, mines and an airport when I'm done. I had experimented with two airports and put a relatively "large" body of water between them, like a mini-ocean and had AI planes crossing back and forth between them. I may do that again here and include a helicopter between, maybe, the city and the coal mines out in the distant country.

That is, of course, assuming my splines don't all change to static objects and I have to bury the whole thing! :p

Yes NJCurmudgeon, I am building a prototype actual route. The whole 6 passenger lines left in Northern Ireland run by NI Railways so based on the real thing or as near a perception as (!). This includes putting in towns and sizeable chunks of cities like Belfast and Londonderry as well. Was rather put out with the unmovable bridge as you enter Ballymena Station and after some frustration covered it as best as could. It's not too bad though and with so much to do I didn't want put off or delayed. When i update my Trainz NIR build site will intimate it to see how I am doing. This thread has reminded me of the zilch at Ballymena.......

This has happened to me and no matter what I did couldn't get the dashed bridge to go. I have ended up covering almost all of it with an embankment and scenery!

I know I'm a forum noob, but one thing I ran into was a "hidden" junction. I ran into a similar problems with tracks. I couldn't delete some tracks (it also happened with splines) until I switched to the "move" option. I dragged each spline point and it revealed ALOT. Once I saw the "hidden" tracks or splines, I was able to get rid of them. I hope that might help if you are still having the issue.

Dear Sniper297.

Fellow Veteran and Train buff can you answer this problem where are the white dashed rail splines I find on some routes where in in surveyer is it placed or what kuid is it!!!!!!

Need to start with learning to use content manager;

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?311793-Downloading-for-Dummies

The dashed lines indicate you have splines that are either missing or faulty. Couple more links;

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?306297-Beginners-guide-to-Trainz

The first part of this one covers how to ask for help;

http://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showthread.php?302069-My-choo-choo-is-broke

For example if you said KrashnburneRRCo MultiPlayer,<kuid2:69871:2050:1> is missing splines by junction 2134 I would know which route to look at and where to look.

Not sure if this will help: A spline that has misteriously been converted into an object has to be deleted as an object. And should be deleted in the route, not the session. Sometimes the spline has a car over them, and it can't be seen! but in map it may show in red. You have to delete this car. If the spline is a piece of track, try attaching another one to it, then "insert' another car and try to couple it to the invisible one, so you can delete all. For years I have worked on all this, and invariably, one way or the other I was able to delete the "object". For the same token, the issue has been brought to NV3 attention for some time now. Will it be fixed in the next SP-1 ??

Back