What do you love about Trainz?

My boy is 5 1/2 years old and has been playing trains TRS2006 for well over a year now. I've seen every kind of modification and creation, from loopty loops to lake drops. He's defied physics and has trains that travel with the cars straight up like a flag pole and uses the Iportals to send from one game to another. My parents, my friends are amazed at what he can do with Surveyor. He's recently started to populate the Peck, Sandusky, Bay City, and Detroit Rail Roads with a DEM Terrain map I made for him.

You forgot to say "I love crashing the trains!"

No, no, don't thank me, I'm always watching to see who I can help!

actually Euphod, jadebullet does not crash trainz to have fun, but to try and see how they happen (just like me these days.).

I would rather say what Trainz is missing !

But if i had to start with the good points, is has to be surveyor. (Its the only thing i do in Trainz) With TC2009 comming up some of the biggest lags will be done (5m grid). Other wise surveyor its almust perfect.

In Drivermode, its easy to navigate and controll more units on the same time. Alsp the rules its pretty okay.

On the down side is miss realisme big time ! If Trainz could implant the BVE feel and realisme, and the steering modes and activitys from MSTS, they would sell alot of copys.

Trainz, is in my eyes not a Simulator, its more a "game". It doesnt have the simulator feeling when you drive. So what iam trying to say is, with 2009 done, Aurans task is to do the realisme and feel. Also if it means to do the code allover !

Forget all the fancy bits thats are easymoney, and do the basics right, first time ! Then your future would be very save !

......If Trainz could implant the BVE feel and realisme, and the steering modes and activitys from MSTS, they would sell alot of copys.......Forget all the fancy bits thats are easymoney, and do the basics right, first time ! Then your future would be very save !
I think you've made some good points there.

Auran have had the time to implement those aspects of BVE and MSTS, but decided to spend it on less realistic things (although I love the scripting features of Trainz, as well as the industries, so they got that right).

My worry is that TRS2009 seems to be concentrating on "pretty" graphics, and although the graphic engine does need a good overhaul, I'd like to see priority given to sound and physics, and a few other little things that never seem to be important enough to Auran.

Back on topic: What I love about Trainz is that it's evolution seems to have the pace of a snail, but 2 locos pulling a rake of 20 coal trucks travels like a nun's first curry.

Wooooshhh!!!!!

Smiley.

I think you've made some good points there............................................................

Thanks mate... An to the rest, yes you are so right :)

"steering modes " ? On a train ? :confused:

Yes... In Trainz there is El/Diesel and Steam, 2 types. In MSTS you have som posiblities to make other types that just Thuggle and Break. Like ind the real world. In Europe we have alot of trainsets. Witch have e combined controller. Trainz can do this via scripting, but its not the right way to do it and its not realy the right thing, its a half-way solution.

Like our EMU "Öresundstrain" the kontroller has 8 breaking "point" eatch point is a surtan bar level ind the breaks. Alot like EP breaks. to get the train to move, you "order" a speed, via putting the controller i forwar "hold" and the 3 steds forward or 3 steds backward to in or de-crease the "ordered" speed. So its a combinded controller with a cruise control build-in.

Modern el-locomotivs used the "old" way, you have a power handle and a break, but the breake is EP kontrolled, and the power is % controlled, it also has a handle for the cruise controll, controlled also in %.

Hope it gives meaning... :)

Quote "Yes... In Trainz there is El/Diesel and Steam, 2 types. In MSTS you have som posiblities to make other types that just Thuggle and Break. Like ind the real world. In Europe we have alot of trainsets. Witch have e combined controller. Trainz can do this via scripting, but its not the right way to do it and its not realy the right thing, its a half-way solution.

Like our EMU "Öresundstrain" the kontroller has 8 breaking "point" eatch point is a surtan bar level ind the breaks. Alot like EP breaks. to get the train to move, you "order" a speed, via putting the controller i forwar "hold" and the 3 steds forward or 3 steds backward to in or de-crease the "ordered" speed. So its a combinded controller with a cruise control build-in.

Modern el-locomotivs used the "old" way, you have a power handle and a break, but the breake is EP kontrolled, and the power is % controlled, it also has a handle for the cruise controll, controlled also in %.

Hope it gives meaning... " Unquote. I am still totally lost :confused: I have never heard of a train which could be "steered"? If your country has such a train I need details, fast.

I think you know what I mean ! Controlled okay... I am very sorry that my English is not perfect... Hope you can take into care to forgive me ;)

I think you know what I mean ! Controlled okay... I am very sorry that my English is not perfect... Hope you can take into care to forgive me ;)

Please post what you mean in your native language and we can translate it online. I am not attempting to insult your English, which is very good, I am just attempting to get this solved quickly.

I agree with peter.. I would like to add a little note to it. When we talk realism, one of the more important things, as I see it, it the natural sway along the track, and if the tracks are in poor condition the sway will be worse and opposite if the tracks are in very good conditions. This and the canted tracks, where we both can see the cab tilt from inside, but also when we see the trains from outside, where the whole train are tilting..! That’s to things we miss allot.

The only simulators that, as far as I know, contain these features, are BVE and the polish EU07. KRS has the sway feature, but I think it is far to monotone and useless.

Best Regards.
Thomas

Last edited:
Out-of-the-box controlling/traction modes in Trainz:

1. type of control method is stream.
- You have a normal breake handle and then you have a Regulator and a Reverser.

2. type of control method is electric and diesel.
- You have a normal breake handle and then there is the Throttle with 8 positions. (In Trainz this can be changed, but sound only supports 8 positions.)

3. type of control method is DCC.
- Like on your model trainset.

What i am asking fore is the possibility to have more methods. In the real world i can mention the follow methods:

---

1. mode: Modern Bombardier Traxx Electric traction. The traction is electric converted, nothing fancy. It have 4 handles, se picture: http://www2.chem.elte.hu/gigant_club/pic/de/electric/db185/DB185Asztal2.jpg from left:

-1. handle is the cruisecontrol, its stepless 0-200 km/h(?), a display tells you what speed you have ordered.

-2. handle is the Throttle, its stepless, 0 to 100 % traction. When the cruise is off you use it like normal, but when the cruise is on, you can set the cruise to like 100 km/h and then controll the power the loco uses, to get to the ordered speed.

-3. handle is the breake. I am a little unsure on how it works. As I remeber it, it have a 0 position, then there is a forward springloaded "chargeblow" position, when applied, it blows a overload of air in to the breakepipe, forceing a hanging breake to release. Downward it have the hold position, then some positions from 0 to 5 bar brake, and a emergency position. Also as i remeber it automatic pulls down the 4. handle (dynamic brake) with it.

-4. handle is for controlling the dynamic-breake, its stepless witch means you controll the dynamic break power i %, 0 to 100 %.

---

2. mode: DSB IC3 (Flexliner) Combined Throttle/Break lever. Traction is Diesel hydraulic via automatic gearbox. Much like a bus. picture: http://www.jernbanesider.dk/IC3_cab.JPG from left:

-1. handel is the "direct" breake lever. Normaly only used when the train is parked. It have 3 positions. Forward is the released position, mittle is the hold position, and backwards is apply position. This way of controlling the direct brake is also used in our diesel-electric GM; Class ME.

-2. handle (the big on the right) is the Combined Throttle/Break lever. It have 8 positions forward and 8 backward. The first 7 forward is steps. Each position is a pre-specified power-level. Position 8 is springloaded, kick-down on the gearbox. Backward there is also steps, applying the brake, each position represents a specific BAR level on the breake pipe.

Did it give more meaning ?

In Trainz there is only the GM like, way, and the steam way to do traction and controlls. In real world there are alot of diffent traction and controlling modes, Diesel-electric, Diesel-hydralic, Diesel and gearbox, Electric, Thoggle and brake, Combined Thoggle/Breake, Combinded CruiseCrontrol/Brake etc etc. Take a look on the MSTS cab Editor and I think you know what I mean.

Hey guys. I don't mean to be rude. But, this thread is for what you love about Trainz. It is not for what you'd like to have in Trainz. For that we have a Suggestion forum. Thanks.

Todd

Quote "Yes... In Trainz there is El/Diesel and Steam, 2 types. In MSTS you have som posiblities to make other types that just Thuggle and Break. Like ind the real world. In Europe we have alot of trainsets. Witch have e combined controller. Trainz can do this via scripting, but its not the right way to do it and its not realy the right thing, its a half-way solution.

Hope it gives meaning... " Unquote. I am still totally lost :confused: I have never heard of a train which could be "steered"? If your country has such a train I need details, fast.

He just means driven. Combined traction/brake controller, seperate traction/break controllers, seperate traction, EP and Westinghouse as some examples.

As for Trainz, its just so easy to create with it. And for me you can't get any better than that!!!

What Do I Love About Trainz?

Hi All,

This is such an amazing product with so many things to love!

While I was boarding at Wesley College (South Perth, Western Australia) during my high school years, I was a member of the "Railway Club" where we were continually building a model railway (HO Scale if I remember rightly) on the campus. I am not sure if I was more of a hindrance than a help, but it fueled a desire that continues to this day for model railroading. I vowed that after university I would build my own model railway.

Of course, I graduated and started moving around the country with my job, got married, moved to Canada, etc. and never really got the chance to get a model railway going... until now! So thanks to this software, I can indulge my desire without having to dismantle the baseboard every time we move.

On top of that, I have found so many Australian themed routes to download from the Download Station, that it brings back many wonderful memories of railways back in the homeland.

With that said, I have also been inspired by Canadian railways as well and, if time becomes available to me, hope to be able to upload a route of the Sudbury, Ontario railway tracks that I drive over every day now.

Thanks again to the people that have made Trainz possible and available to the likes of me!!!!

:Y:

Back