UK themed iportal group

No i-portal in 12? I never knew that, just assumed it was there lurking in the depths of the assets folders. Can it be imported or downloaded from the DLS?
danny5. The word is "enjoyed" by the way. :p

no, they removed it adn put multiplayer in,, i don't think it would work if you
installed the iportals in 12,, due to the ip server is not set up for 12

Getting the realism is where a little bit of organisation will come in.

If you want to have a go "just for the fun of it" then I can send you a section of route with an iportal and some stock set up - if you want to do this then give me a day or so to sort it. You will need to tell me when you can join a session as well.

ok there is a limit of about 40 to 50 cars that can be sent to the iportal server,, i been iportaling for a few years,,,,

No iportal in TS12 was a surprise to me as well, personally I think it is a backwards step as far as Trainz is concerned (unless of course the Trainz development team have a good technical reason for this in order to enable multipayer).

As I said in an earlier post:

"...multiplayer as it stands is basically unsuitable for the nature of rail operations in the UK, this also applies a large chunk of European rail operations. To work for the UK and Europe multiplayer needs "signal box / controller" function(s). These should allow for multiple signal boxes on larger routes so that, at least, one player can direct and signal operations (if required)...."

just wondering have you done any multiplayer,,, i was in the beta part of multiplayer and the signals work as a simple singal... to keep trainz from running into each other,,, i don;t think you will get close to the real world,
it would cost too much,, and you would need a bigger computer,,,,,

...the signals work as a simple singal... to keep trainz from running into each other,,, i don;t think you will get close to the real world....it would cost too much,, and you would need a bigger computer,,,,,

I don't think you are familiar with the nature of rail operations in the UK (and a large part of Europe). Peak hour services on commuter lines here are running at headways around 3 minutes (i.e 20 trains per hour on a single direction line). Try regulating those into into platforms at Kings X (interspersed with Inter City train movements at say 5 per hour - that's 25 trains in each direction to and from a single terminus station) - using the Trainz map view.!

For a busy station check out Clapham Junction http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clapham_Junction_railway_station 180 trains per hour...

As for your second point...

It would be perfectly possible to set up an interface in Trainz to control the points (switches), which then in turn control the signals in an acceptable way, as now. In a way this has already been done by some of the path/route setting rules. What is lacking are better interfaces for building the rules and using them.

I have a garden railway which is controlled from a ten year old laptop (running Windows Me) - the display looks like the panel diagram you would see in a modern(ish) signalbox and routes are set by clicking on either pre defined paths or individual points (switches). So I don't think state of the art hardware is required for the task.

So with the iPortal, would I call it say you uracco's portal and then join it over the internet to what ever your portal is called?

uracco, Setting up a iportal! (1) in sureryor (edit session) open flyout object click on ? then on the iportal give it a name & a ID, make this short & lower case all one word. Now where it said check for trains.(i put 60 minutes) this will kept the train in the iportal for that long or until you click create train. Now go to edit session rules at left top of screen next to menu open that and click on add, look for Panel Selector rule,click on that, click check mark.

This panel selector rule will show up at the top of your screen in driver. Clicking on it will show you all your iportals, and you can make changing to any iportal you have from there.(like to whom you are sending the train to and their iportal ID.)

One more thing is to give the iportal enoght drive way for a 75 car train to get out of the iportal before it comes to a signal or switch

While in edit session add emit train now. This will give you a list of all the rolling stock that in your game,so if someone ask if you have a locomovite you can click on this and see. Also shows you if a car will load with somthing & how much.
You should have a portal to emit a train (re-railportal work fine and will rerail a derailed train) Now to set up the re-railportal. Make sure you have planty of driveway.open flyout object click on ? click on portal put a check mark in the first box,change the delay time to one minute,untick the box that said consume trains.

Now to set up emit train now click on edit in edit session rules while the emit train now is hilighted. Click on track mark add anyone,click on add portal add re-railportal. That that. While in driver you may have to open and close this once before it shows your list.

I was about to remove 2010 from the Trainz hard drive as I thought 12 had now proved itself good enough to take over full control. Just as well i didn't then isn't it?
I would still like to see a UK team trying to run a MP session together as it always seems to be the rest of the world having fun and never us. ECML is a fantastic route that we have been given and yet it goes to waste. We don't really need to have 25 trains an hour coming into Kings cross to make it feel like an enjoyable experience do we?
I would love nothing more than to have a great session on an English route with BR fans for a few hours.
I had so much fun during the beta stages of MP with mainly American and a few European Trainzers as the British were just not there. Such a shame for so much fun and late nights lost, and I had many a beer, chat and good laugh late at night with our friends all around the world. :wave:

For our first route we will be have a branch line with a junction station and terminus, its still under construction but please reply to this thread if you are interesested.
This route must be built in 09 or 06 if not some people won't be able to install it and work ok.

...I would still like to see a UK team trying to run a MP session together as it always seems to be the rest of the world having fun and never us. ECML is a fantastic route that we have been given and yet it goes to waste. We don't really need to have 25 trains an hour coming into Kings cross to make it feel like an enjoyable experience do we?...

Dean05,

I'm not saying that multiplayer (as it stands) is a bad thing especially for people who like UK routes and prefer the "driving experience" side of Trainz. However there are a number of people who prefer the "operating" side of the SIM and for them, in my personal opinion, it just does not work as it stands.

Look at what you yourself have said or (at least implied) about the lack of take up of multiplayer by UK and European Trainzers.

Enjoy what you enjoy, it's only for fum !

Hope you will join us in a good old fashioned iportal session on TS2010 sometime

Cheers

Chris

This route must be built in 09 or 06 if not some people won't be able to install it and work ok.

It should be possible to build the route in 09 or 10 - they are, as far as I'm aware, the same standard - but don't include any TS2010 (or later, or Add On) built in content or problems will occur for TS09 users.

Note TS2009 will need to be patched up to the latest build.

I don't think you are familiar with the nature of rail operations in the UK (and a large part of Europe). Peak hour services on commuter lines here are running at headways around 3 minutes (i.e 20 trains
As for your second point...

no i am not famiiar with uk, but i live on the main line of 100 miles , everey day there a train comming nto my town at 25 min apart,, and it is a singal main line,,,,

It would be perfectly possible to set up an interface in Trainz to control the points (switches), which then in turn control the signals in an acceptable way, as now. In a way this has already been done by some of the path/route setting rules. What is lacking are better interfaces for building the rules and using them.

why don't we keep it simple,,, i run a dual main line in trainz andi have about 15 to 25 trainz running at one time with no problems,,, it woud be great to run real time with trainz, but to do that you would need more ram bigger processor and i dont think nv3 will let any one have acess to the code of trainz,,,,,

I have a garden railway which is controlled from a ten year old laptop (running Windows Me) - the display looks like the panel diagram you would see in a modern(ish) signalbox and routes are set by clicking on either pre defined paths or individual points (switches). So I don't think state of the art hardware is required for the task.

oo man, i wish i had that kinda of $$ to do that in my back yard,,, eee the wife would kill me,,,,,,

klambert,
I am online now if you are up fo ra quick train exchange. Give me 25 mins to get my route finished and tell me the name of your iPortals.

I think this is a great idea! (Especially if I can share some UK, or Irish, steam with someone).

What is the KUID of the iPortal (library?) you are using (and anything else I might need)? I use TS12 and, apart from the FER routes and sessions that, I presume, use iPortals, seem to have only a number of old iPortal KUIDs v2.5 and below (that I probably DLd or imported at one time or another).

I have TS2010 (& TRS2004), so I could pick what's needed up from TS2010, if I knew what that was.

My own interest is in Cornwall and Devon Steam c. 1938 where GWR meets or just avoids SR (LSWR) line, LMS and SR run the S&DJR in GWR territory and you get to see the impossible!

I'm currently "remodelling" (for myself) in TS12 the Restormel Castle (originally TRS 2004) route to be more prototypical in its working. For example, I'm going to extend Boscarne Junction (to add the LSWR and the GWR loop to the two single track branchlines along with crossovers, that it seems to have had) to allow for exchanging loaded China Clay trains from the LSWR/SR line from Wenfordbridge with empty GWR hauled trains back from Fowey and vice versa. Now there's an interesting handover! Of course there are also SR/LSWR passenger trains to Bodmin North and GWR passenger trains to Bodmin general, both almost entirely on single track, as well as GWR main line trains running through Bodmin Road etc. I'm developing quite a complex (single-user) session, but if I can get 'trackplate's permission to upload the modified route (and its offspring) we could split up this quite extensive Cornish route into parts and each control a section.

Just starting with the modified SR-GWR Boscarne Junction (if I get 'trackplate's permission) would be quite a quite a challenge (let's hope our SR and our GWR signalmen don't come to (virtual blows)! Well, actually, I think Boscarne Junction has to be under one Person's control (unfortunately) as there is no room for an iPortal on what amounts to four parallel tracks. Still there's the Bodmin North guy (or gal) and the Wenford (and points south) guy and the Boscarne guy and the GWR extended Bodmin branch guy, so it busy enough!

The GWR/SR relationship was so fraught that the obvious solution of making a "triangular junction" at Boscarne and allowing GWR goods trains to run on SR tracks to Wenford just doesn't seem to have occurred to them (or maybe it was just "unthinkable"!).

I'm going to be busy and away quite a lot over the next month, but anyone like the idea? If they do, I'll see what I can arrange.

Peter.

Last edited:
Peter,you will have to use ten but it must be build 44088.anything later won't work.Now if you have build 46170 there is a way around this.
Now any route will work. Add iportals to it and give a drive way that will hold 75 cars before the train reaches a signal or a switch/turnout.
Any rolling stock that built-in will work.(for now)
Reading some of the other post will let you know how to set up the iportals & a few other things you should need and how to set them up.
you have any qustions let us know.
Add me and the others to trainz chat list so we will know when you are in trainz.

i found out last nigt with danny5 you can only send less than 50 cars in the iportal.... put my name down... i have a route all ready to ip with, just make sure every one has the same engines & cars......

...My own interest is in Cornwall and Devon Steam c. 1938 where GWR meets or just avoids SR (LSWR) line, LMS and SR run the S&DJR in GWR territory and you get to see the impossible!......

....we could split up this quite extensive Cornish route into parts and each control a section.....

Hi Peter,

I'm a third generation GWR man myself, fired my first loco - an ex GW prairie tank in Acton Yard - when I was knee high to a shovel, worked at Reading and all stations to Paddington HQ - before turning traitor and going North! It goes without saying that I'd be quite happy with your West Country vision.

The route that klambert has been working on for our trial run is GWR based so that might suit you for the time being, watch this space for an update on progress. Since we (as a group) are not restricted by the cost and space constraints of a "real world club" there is no reason at all why we can't have several "Layouts" going at any one time to suit the interests of all members.

Personally I have always liked the idea of an S&D style route to be able to mix LM, SR and GW. (I think part of that was using an old DOS based SIM of Bath Green Park, many many years ago).

Chris

....you can only send less than 50 cars in the iportal....

Out of interest is that a train length limit or a strict number of cars limit? UK rolling stock especially the older stuff is much shorter than the US so this would be very relevant. Edit: - in the UK, pre 1980, the most common wagon length was 21 ft - a measurement on which the Standard Lenght Unit (SLU) which still used today is based.

Last edited:
Out of interest is that a train length limit or a strict number of cars limit? UK rolling stock especially the older stuff is much shorter than the US so this would be very relevant. Edit: - in the UK, pre 1980, the most common wagon length was 21 ft - a measurement on which the Standard Lenght Unit (SLU) which still used today is based.

last night me & danny5 where tryingto send a train with over 35 cars and it never made it to me..... so it around 35 to 40 cars..... it does not matter how long it is....

Back