UK themed iportal group

Well how close are we to getting this off the ground
It is my understanding that it will work something like this. The organizers are constructing a simple branch line for a practice run which will give everyone a better understanding of how it will work. I don.t know when it will be completed but it will then be put on the DLS. Hopefully it will be 2009, 2010 and TS12 compatable. All content will be either built in or easily obtainable. Information to be provided on that. It will be a UK route most likely from a specific era. Participants will need to volunteer their services. The organizers will agree on a time and date for the session or sessions to start. The route will be divided into sections with one person in charge of each section. Trains will pass from section to section via Iportals. It may be possible to pass trains through unmanned sections. I need to close now. I,ll probably add to it later.

It is my understanding that it will work something like this. The organizers are constructing a simple branch line for a practice run which will give everyone a better understanding of how it will work. I don.t know when it will be completed but it will then be put on the DLS. Hopefully it will be 2009, 2010 and TS12 compatable. All content will be either built in or easily obtainable. Information to be provided on that. It will be a UK route most likely from a specific era. Participants will need to volunteer their services. The organizers will agree on a time and date for the session or sessions to start. The route will be divided into sections with one person in charge of each section. Trains will pass from section to section via Iportals. It may be possible to pass trains through unmanned sections. I need to close now. I,ll probably add to it later.
Would anyone like to join me right now time being 1Oclock PM USA day light saving time

Danny5,

I have been in touch with klambert regarding progress with the trial route, it seems that real life has intervened and slowed things a bit! Hopefully he will post an update soon.

If anybody is impatient to get started I can provide some fairly "bare bones" single station (or equally simple) UK 1960's routes complete with iportals etc. which will enable us to get things underway. As an alternative if you (or anybody else reading this) have/has a small route already built or part built that would suit, then add an iportal and post the details. It won't cost money to try it out!

Chris

Would anyone like to join me right now time being 1Oclock PM USA day light saving time

Danny

I'll give it a try, I will need some sort or an idea of what type of train I'm going to be dealing with so that I can set up an iportal on a suitable route.

6.10 pm here (UK BST).

Chris

Chirs,i was just tring to get poeple going on any route that they have with iportal(s) on it untel you get thing ready.
Any thing built in.For now.

...there no iportaling in 12,.. only multiplayer only...

I was not aware of that, thanks for the information. I hope that the development team had a good technical reason for removing iportals to enable multiplayer, because (as I said in my first post):

"...multiplayer as it stands is basically unsuitable for the nature of rail operations in the UK, this also applies a large chunk of European rail operations. To work for the UK and Europe multiplayer needs "signal box / controller" function(s). These should allow for multiple signal boxes on larger routes so that, at least, one player can direct and signal operations (if required)...."

Yes there is map view but try using that in complex trackwork situations! Another, also less than satisfactory, option (within what is currently available) would be to set up multiple path rules. I would hate to think how many you would need for the ECML - I have 40 or so for a terminal station half the size of Kings Cross and that number is barely manageable with the existing menu displays..

Itareus, i injoied our session yesterday. we both learned something. If we both had Skype then we would not have to type and beable to concentrate on the game. So sign up for it skype.com and invite me.

Hay for the map will there be industries to load & unload products?

The map could be sent to those that want to iportal and we could test it out before it,s uploaded to the DLS. This way each person would get the section that he going to use that way he/she could learn what they have to do and where things are,when the hole thing has been tested then put it on the DLS.

If you just use built-in or stuff on the DLS we won't have any problems.Been thur 3rd party stuff and it a mess. Don't get me wrong there nothing wrong with 3rd party stuff it just that you for some reason there missing dep.unknow kuids. Had a engine someone sent me and others that he made and we spent over a month getting to work.

You want to have another session to day?

No i-portal in 12? I never knew that, just assumed it was there lurking in the depths of the assets folders. Can it be imported or downloaded from the DLS?
danny5. The word is "enjoyed" by the way. :p

Just thought of something if this route is built in TS10 will those that have 06-09 be able to use it?

...No i-portal in 12?...Can it be imported or downloaded from the DLS?...

No iportal in TS12 was a surprise to me as well, personally I think it is a backwards step as far as Trainz is concerned (unless of course the Trainz development team have a good technical reason for this in order to enable multipayer).

As I said in an earlier post:

"...multiplayer as it stands is basically unsuitable for the nature of rail operations in the UK, this also applies a large chunk of European rail operations. To work for the UK and Europe multiplayer needs "signal box / controller" function(s). These should allow for multiple signal boxes on larger routes so that, at least, one player can direct and signal operations (if required)...."

Having given this a bit more thought I would add that multiplayer, as it is currently implemented, would not work for US urban routes - e.g LIRR or NY subway. But please don't open a debate over this, at least not in this thread!

Dean05 - it would be interesting to know if iportal "...Can it be imported or downloaded from the DLS?...[For 2012]" as you said, somehow I doubt it as it appears to be a built in feature -anybody out there know the answer please?

...So sign up for it skype.com and invite me....

Will think about it, but this PC is kept "lean and clean", could Skype on another one (plenty to choose from) - gimme time.

...for the map will there be industries to load & unload products?..
. More a US thing than UK but there is no reason why not.

...The map could be sent to those that want to iportal and we could test it out before it,s uploaded to the DLS.

Agreed

...If you just use built-in or stuff on the DLS we won't have any problems.

Certainly a good idea, definitely to start with.

..You want to have another session to day?

Why not - I must go and enable some US locos!!

please send me the route. I really can't wait for this.

Chill out uracco, you are not forgotten!

There is no such thing as "the route". You can use any route you like, as long as it has an iportal set up and we can communicate with you via that.

It makes better sense to have our personal section(s) as part of an overall route that is logical in railway terms. Yesterday I was exchanging trainz with Danny05 in the US and I was using a very incomplete personal route based on Bradford UK while he was using a built in route. We just sent things at random. I don't know what he thought about 3 DB locos heading a 1500t US freight train or a deltic hauling a 4 coach MK 1 set !! Fun but not realistic.

Getting the realism is where a little bit of organisation will come in.

If you want to have a go "just for the fun of it" then I can send you a section of route with an iportal and some stock set up - if you want to do this then give me a day or so to sort it. You will need to tell me when you can join a session as well.

C

Just thought of something if this route is built in TS10 will those that have 06-09 be able to use it?

If you are thinking of the route you used yesterday then, probably, no, (unless the same version of the route was also a built in for TS2006/10 ????)

For a UK themed iportal group we will most likely end up using purpose designed routes, probably each working on our own section for scenery, local trackwork etc. with common standard for exchnging trains.

If you want to have a go "just for the fun of it" then I can send you a section of route with an iportal and some stock set up - if you want to do this then give me a day or so to sort it. You will need to tell me when you can join a session as well.

C
Thanks can we do that. I am reallly not that good at making a route. I will set up the stock myself. Tomorrow is a good time
mYBE 4:45pm.

I can send you a 4 platform 1960's based urban terminus, with loco shed and goods lines. It's a part completed and now superceded project but should work ?!? You will need to download a good few items from the DLS so I hope you have a FCT. Looking at what other routes I have available they nearly all contain my own (unpublished) items so could get a bit complicated to send one of these for a quick trial run.

If you want this route then send me you email address by PM (never put an email in a forum post or you will get spam mail). Probably won't be able to send the CDP until the morning though.

Chris

Back