TRS22.exe - System Error

Just upgraded late last night. Briefly ran a train west out of Denver. Did not seem much different to me than TRS19 and was pleased to be able to run trains again on "West from Denver". Today I saw an update was available. Downloaded and installed it, and was able to open TRS22 but trains did not respond. Next attempt to load I got the following message "The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT .dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem". I can no longer open TRS22, but if I remember correctly by build (pre-update) ended in 418. I do not see anyone wlse reporting this issue. Lucky Me! Any help as always is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Randy

You are missing a Windows file or it is currupted. You will need to get the file(s) from Microsoft. I believe the file msvcp140.dll and the file msvcp140-atomic-wait.dll are some how connected, if the base is bad the caller will get an error. Could try SpyBot Search & Destroy and CCleaner if your registry got hacked.

If you have any version of Mcrosoft Visual Studio installed, read the following page and download the appropriate version. It will update the msvcp140.dll (required). The automatic update for this only happens when you open VS in one of the newer versions, older versions require a manual update. If you do not have VS then Windows Update should handle this;
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-US/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

If all else fails, you could try here (I have not tested)
https://wikidll.com/microsoft-corporation/msvcp140-atomic-wait-dll

Last edited:
surveyor is your best bet for making anything; railworks' and MSTS/openrails equivalents are clunky and terrible, TSW's routebuilding tools have yet to go live so i don't know how good they are. if you just want to drive stuff, railworks, openrails, run8, or derail valley are also available, but each one has their own drawbacks

trainz is cool when it works. it's worth waiting a few days for the devs to come back to the office IMO
It is cool WHEN it works. But I just waited 2 months for them to fix something that I always used, and now I can't even get into the game.

You most likely attempted to run without letting the DBR run first. Unfortunately, there's a bug that prevents the progress bar from appearing so that the automatic closing of the Launcher after the patch and automatic DBR on restart doesn't work. This causes confusion.

Since you've crashed, you need to run a manual DBR. On the Launcher, click on Developer on the menu and then choose Rebuild database. The process may take a long time since this is a full database repair with the new version.
Hi John
Still the same, after the patch was installed a rebuild was done immediately. I did a rebuild after the first crash, still the same.
I rolled back to previous build, for now.

The DLL must have the exact name: "msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll" and be copied in "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64", not in TRS22 folder (it is different from "msvcp140.dll"). You may have to manually register it; if so follow this guide.
YEA! This worked for me. Thanks HP. I searched for the .dll on the web, downloaded it, unzipped it, copied it and pasted it into the two widows libraries you referenced. Bingo!

Cheers

surveyor is your best bet for making anything; railworks' and MSTS/openrails equivalents are clunky and terrible, TSW's routebuilding tools have yet to go live so i don't know how good they are. if you just want to drive stuff, railworks, openrails, run8, or derail valley are also available, but each one has their own drawbacks

trainz is cool when it works. it's worth waiting a few days for the devs to come back to the office IMO
I can wait the few days.....but how long after that before we get another dreaded update to fix the current problem? They need to start releasing updates on Mondays, not Fridays.
The DLL must have the exact name: "msvcp140_atomic_wait.dll" and be copied in "C:\Windows\System32" and "C:\Windows\SysWOW64", not in TRS22 folder (it is different from "msvcp140.dll"). You may have to manually register it; if so follow this guide.
That did work after I finally got to d-l it amid the other 3,278 things that tried to d-l instead. I love all the advertisements that really look like the download icon of what you really want.

I can't understand why N3V didn't communicate on this new requirement for the last update. "Reinstalling the program may fix this problem": the missing library isn't part of it, so no, it can be reinstalled ad infinitum, the problem will never be fixed.

Same problem.
We pay a boatload of cash for this crappy testing and development. Very amateurish support. I would love to see how they propose to fix this shite.

I am attempting to re-download as I really don't have a whole lot invested in building sessions/routes. This is disheartening. I started out this morning happy to see an update, and I now find myself reinstalling the whole freaking program again.

I can't understand why N3V didn't communicate on this new requirement for the last update. "Reinstalling the program may fix this problem": the missing library isn't part of it, so no, it can be reinstalled ad infinitum, the problem will never be fixed.
Since this is system-related and not an N3V problem, it's not up to them to say this is a required file. Generally, the MS VC++ libraries are updated through Windows updates. If people don't keep up on their updates, then they run into problems such as this.

Since this is system-related and not an N3V problem, it's not up to them to say this is a required file.
If so, how do you explain that people having the issue don't have it when they reinstall the previous version of Trainz?

Since this is system-related and not an N3V problem, it's not up to them to say this is a required file. Generally, the MS VC++ libraries are updated through Windows updates. If people don't keep up on their updates, then they run into problems such as this.
I disagree with you there. My Win11 is totally updated. NOTHING else runs on this Win11 install except Trz22. No internet scrolling, no files uploaded or downloaded, nothing but Trainz. There is not a more pure or clean install of Win11 anywhere unless you just are installing it for the first time.

I do not trust ANYTHING on Win. Nothing. If I did not have Trainz, I wouldn't even have Win11.....it would be deleted. And I have deleted it from my last machine that only ran Trainz.

Mine did update and run without the extra dll but I have AI that seems to have lost their way, I slall also wait till the coming week to hear from the devs (hopefully).

On the computer on which I got the error that MSCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT.dll is not found, I always have it updated, today I checked twice to see that there are no Windows updates.
Why can you install the previous build 122418 and NOT 123801?

I just completed running 4 separate installs of the update on 3 different computers (2 installs, a beta and a retail, on one machine). All are running Win 11 with all the latest updates installed just a few days ago. The update process ran smoothly and the resulting build 123794 (all 4 of them) is working perfectly without any issues.

If this missing ".dll" issue was the result of the install process then I would have expected at least one of the installs to be faulty. Yes, you can toss a coin 4 times and get 4 heads or 4 tails, a chance of 1 in 16, so there is a 1 in 16 chance that my 4 successful installs were a fluke.

I did a search of the forums for threads dealing with ".dll" files, going back to 2008. Of those I sampled (I did not read through every one):-
  1. A few threads were unanswered, so cause/cure unknown
  2. Some turned out to be related to out of date hardware drivers (Directx seemed to be a frequent culprit)
  3. Others were due to Windows update issues (even having all the updates installed was no guarantee of success, a few updates had not been correctly installed by the automatic Windows Update installer)
  4. Some had .dll files "go missing" after a Windows shutdown had somehow gone wrong
  5. etc

I could not find (in my limited sample) any .dll issues that were due to N3V alone.

Last edited:
can also confirm that my copy of trainz is working just fine after updating to 123801 (which is TRS22 SP3, not Trainz Plus SP3), no missing DLL issue or anything. so, then, how is it that some people in the exact same situation as me are having this issue but yet i'm not? and it's pretty weird, you have to admit, that such a specific problem is only cropping up after the release of SP3 and hasn't been encountered before.

anyway, my only suggestion to those seeing this issue is to install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package, found here.

it's pretty weird, you have to admit, that such a specific problem is only cropping up after the release of SP3 and hasn't been encountered before.
One possibility (however remote) comes to mind. Perhaps the SP3 update requires a stricter implementation of certain .dll commands and/or API features that the earlier release(s) did not - for example: to implement the TLR feature. Those systems that were already missing the required .dll (without any noticeable effect up until now) or had an older or corrupted copy, are now displaying these issues.

One theory anyway.

Вчера поздно вечером обновился. Ненадолго управлял поездом на запад из Денвера. Мне он не сильно отличался от TRS19, и я был рад снова запустить поезда по направлению «Запад от Денвера». Сегодня увидел, что доступно обновление. Скачал и установил, смог открыть TRS22, но поезда не ответили. При следующей попытке загрузки я получил следующее сообщение: «Выполнение кода не может быть продолжено, поскольку MSVCP140_ATOMIC_WAIT.dll не найден. Переустановка программы может решить эту проблему». Я больше не могу открыть TRS22, но, если я правильно помню, сборка (предварительное обновление) закончилась на 418. Я не вижу, чтобы кто-нибудь сообщал об этой проблеме. Мне повезло! Любая помощь, как всегда, очень ценится. Спасибо, Рэнди
Херб 22 не запускается, что делать?

Херб 22 не запускается, что делать?
There are a few threads on this in the forum - all in English. See trs22-exe-system-error.175707. One solution is provided by one of the posters at post number 12
На форуме есть несколько тем - все на английском языке. См. trs22-exe-system-error.175707

Одно из решения предоставляется одним из плакатов на сообщении № 12

It appears from various searches on this subject that N3V is not the only one caught out by this error. Users of some very expensive software such as AutoCAD have had the same issue.

hell, i found out downloading the C++ Redistributable fixed the problem from a reddit thread where an XCOM 2 player of all people was experiencing the same issue. though TBF that thread is two years old now. seems like the issue itself isn't unheard of in other spaces.
I saw references to that thread too as well as a bunch on Microsoft's community support forums.

Back