Suggestion for route builders.... long overdue.

If a route is up-loaded to the DLS, I suggest the description should, at a very minimum, include information about the size of the route. This could be expressed in total number of baseboards, miles of track or file size in MB. This information would help those of us who don't necessarily want a 200+ baseboard route, but have to download it to see what's there.
Thanks, Mike

If a route is up-loaded to the DLS, I suggest the description should, at a very minimum, include information about the size of the route. This could be expressed in total number of baseboards, miles of track or file size in MB. This information would help those of us who don't necessarily want a 200+ baseboard route, but have to download it to see what's there.
Thanks, Mike

That is already done, in both CMP and the black pages.
In CMP, you need to add it to the header bar by right-click and selecting "size". On the black pages, it is listed in the specs section, next to the icon.

Something that should be mandatory, but isn't yet, is in addition to "Build Version" of the asset, it should be shown what game build it is for, as TS2009 thru TS12 all can use Build v2.9 assets, but many are broken in TS2010, because they were repaired for TS12. And quite a few Build v3.6 Routes are not actually for TS12, but instead are Android (or Apple mobile?) assets...frustrating, and part of the reason I generally stick with TS2010, rather than TS12.

That is already done, in both CMP and the black pages.
In CMP, you need to add it to the header bar by right-click and selecting "size". On the black pages, it is listed in the specs section, next to the icon.

Yes the numbers are there, but meaningless. It doesn't actually tell you how big the route is. I don't know what that "size" indicates. It may say 889K, then, when you start downloading, it's actually 348.71 MB. As I just tried to DL the route "Albury". :confused:

The reason it doesn't include the whole figure is due to dependencies and even sub-dependencies. It's very unlikely that someone will know the full combined size if an asset includes many dependencies that also include their own dependencies and so on.

Shane

For large routes, this may be difficult. For track length though, the ScanTrack utility (or it's updated version) is a session rule that can help with that.

Shane

For large routes, this may be difficult. For track length though, the ScanTrack utility (or it's updated version) is a session rule that can help with that.

Shane

Yes, I'm aware of the ScanTrack utility. I'm suggesting that the routebuilder use it or a "display custom HUD" and run the route in order to let potential downloaders know some rough idea of the size, beforehand. There was a utility back in 2004 that would count baseboards, but I don't know if it works for newer versions... "Vistamare" Trainz map or something like that.

"... I suggest the description should, at a very minimum, include information about the size of the route..." before, I DL it, and it eats space & time.
IMHO, I feel like this is the route builder's minimum responsibility. Some have no description at all.
:eek:

Download the route through the black pages. If it appeals to you go after the dependencies through CMP. Learned to do that when stuck on dial up for a long time. Easy to do and doesn't clutter up your drive.

Another thing i would like route builders to do, is to make sure all assets are available. I have just downloaded a route which has over 200 unknown assets about 50 that are broken.

The route is "An English Winter-Enlarged" by "broadwater" Kuid270280:101420 ver 3.3

Last edited:
Another thing i would like route builders to do, is to make sure all assets are available. I have just downloaded a route which has over 200 unknown assets about 50 that are broken.

The route is "An English Winter-Enlarged" by "broadwater" Kuid270280:101420 ver 3.3

You can always build you're own. Then backtrack every asset to make sure someone else can find them. Change those that can't be found, recheck. All after building the route to begin with. Wait a year, repeat because someone will complain that site no longer exists............

Sites come and go, creators come and go, N3V changes policies......... No way to track all that and keep anything current. I built a model railroad last weekend using assets from the Model Trainz Screenshot thread. Less than a week later some of those assets are gone. I have no intention of not using those assets for the route I'm working on now. I build for me and my enjoyment first, not the community. THE reason I never release my routes. Not chasing the creator, N3V, end user why game. Impossible to do.

Would you like my 100,000 baseboard route ? :hehe: It's a whopper @ 80 miles in all directions ... a huge chunk of Pennsylvania :cool:

Are you running it on a Cray computer? ( oh wait, those are 35 years old now ) In the 10 or so years I've been using Trainz I've never had a PC that didn't look like a slide show. I generally get rid of all the speed-trees first, then lower the draw distance, then get rid of whatever I can to get the frame rates somewhat usable.

Find a route you're interested in, download it through the black pages without assets. You get a general idea of the route when opening it in Surveyor. If it looks interesting, let CMP download the assets afterwards. If not, delete it.*

"....This could be expressed in total number of baseboards, miles of track..."

Previously posted...

Thanks, Mike

Just pointing out that one of the options you requested is available. Sorry to try to be helpful, I'll never make that mistake again.

I put the route in the download window rather that clicking download in the On Download Station list. It then searches for all dependencies and you can see just how big a download is required. The only weakness is no list for unknown dependencies are shown.

Rob

Back