Making a mess with merge route

valbridge

Rail Tragic
Well it seems I have given myself quite a headache.
Having 'successfully' merged two fairly large routes into one have found the following has occurred.
Eventually finding two endpoints where the maps can merge only to discover there were overlaps in another part of the merged route. This created quite a mess as you can imagine.
So I scrapped that and tried again. This time I discovered some kind of limited route 'relics' scatted in no mans land. So I had to add baseboards, under said remnants, to bring them to life, so to delete, only to discover they went on and on, seemingly endless! To view these anomalies I had to zoom out significantly.
Deleting the baseboard does not necessarily completely remove its content. Remnants as track/road splines have to be manually deleted. A long and laborious task.

Anyone know the cause [how it occurred] of this mess. All done in latest 2019 build.
Cheers,
Val.

Ah, those lovely leftover bits. I don't know the cause but they've been around forever. I would say probably since TS2010. On my large route, I'm still finding remnants of these bits in areas where I haven't renovated yet and I then take time out to remove the floating intersections, roads, and track bits. Sometimes, I find them buried under terrain and worse sometimes they'll attach to another spline or track I'm putting down causing weird joints I can't figure out as the roads or tracks take a deep dive into the ground.

Having learned my lesson like you the very hard way, I now delete the objects first before deleting baseboards. In TRS19, TRS22, and Plus prior to S2.0, I created an eraser first by copying a blank area without any terrain height or textures selected and then pasted that on the baseboards I wanted to delete. It took a few minutes or so to delete the objects first and clear the boards prior to removing the baseboards.

I created an eraser first by copying a blank area without any terrain height or textures selected and then pasted that on the baseboards
Geez I honestly never thought of doing that. John you have saved me from probably hours of laborious tedium.
Great idea and works just fine. Thank you.

Back