Sink Holes?

targanon

Targ (Chris)
Seems that I have suffered a Geological Disaster some time during the night.

While there was no sign of any upcoming troubles with the earth while editing my new route of over 200k's in size.. and after finishing texturing the whole thing with ruff preliminary textures.

If I go into wire frame mode (F9) I have missing Baseboards seen below yet I have track and roads and texture even a dam on it.

Targanon_20120116_0000.jpg
Targanon_20120116_0001.jpg

also in the image above you can see the trree's that have been dragged down and left there after I return the land fall to it correct hight

The sink holes I'm not sure what causes them but I have them and have read about them.. but the worse part is that when the drop like that they take the scenery objects down with them but when you bring them back up to there propper hight the objects remain below the land by a long way..

this is the first time I have had this happen .. its also the first time I have used DEM data to create my route I have been editing for 3 days now and now this happens.. I mean WTF..

Targanon_20120116_0003.jpg
Targanon_20120116_0004.jpg

Targanon_20120116_0002.jpg
Targanon_20120116_0005.jpg

Ok SO now I'm starting to get PISSED OFF!

After fixing all the issues save the missing Baseboard.. ?

I saved my route and close the game restart my pc.

opened the game opened my route and not only was the holes back but I had like 3 times as many holes..
Targanon_20120116_0006.jpg

What is the issue here.. Why is this happening... I have not replaced any objects.. the reason I read was the cause of such problems ...

Can anyone shed some light on how to over come this issue as you can understand I don't really wish to start from scratch..

I can go back to before I textured the whole route with make shift textures I have completed a mine on that is serviced the route..

do I bight the bullet and go back 3 days editing or scrap the project all together..

Insult to injury that it occurered after a save when you had fixed everything already. I feel for you, but I don't know the cause nor solution.:(

IIRC the sink holes came about when you joined a 5 meter board to a 10 meter board or the like or having a having a 10 metre route that was converted to a 5 meter one or the like

This also occurs if you use the Replace Item function to change a terrain texture. Unfortunately the only solution is to manually repair the holes. Might be worth raising a ticket with the Helpdesk as a bug report, in case the issue has gone in the backburner - get their programmer working over his lunch brerak!

This also occurs if you use the Replace Item function to change a terrain texture. Unfortunately the only solution is to manually repair the holes.

Not quite - and not much good to the OP - but after using 'Replace Asset' with ground textures check the route carefully for black smudges about 10m square. Retexture these black areas BEFORE saving and no 'craters' will appear. Save before re-texturing and the black smudges become the 'holes'.

Might be worth raising a ticket with the Helpdesk as a bug report, in case the issue has gone in the backburner - get their programmer working over his lunch brerak!

Definitely a known issue - nobody could have slept through this one LOL

Andy

To raise up the sunken objects after fixing the terrain, use the terrain smooth tool. Set the height to be the same as the ground, and press over the area. This seems to raise up the objects most of the time. If they don't raise up, you need to go into wireframe mode and click on to raise up the object using the object height adjuster.

John

Thanks for all the replies I did know about this. yes!
however I had not used replace texture tool. thats why IO posted let other know its not just a replace texture problem. the worst bit is that as my route is over 200ks long and is at least 10 baseboards wide, it takes a fair amount of time to texture the whole thing..
thus even my auto saves had problems and I have gone back to the last side save. which is just after adjusting the track run and fixing the track breaks. at least I had about half the track hight sorted .. and the section with the tunnels. saved in it.. however all the roads and are gone.. lol no biggy there.. Ouch!!!

the joys of working with 11 years old software, lots of LOLs.

Back