Railroad Crossing Tutorials (The stoppers don't work)

If you would care to PM me with an email address I will forward you the working test session I created of your second image in the form of a CDP. file for you to play with. Peter

Thank you for the info, if you would have read the starting post, That video is the one I base my railroad on. It didn't work, Peter has been helping me with it when he can. It mite take a few days. I fount out what mite be the problem. The stoppers are attached to the road and that's the problem I been having. I can't get the stoppers to attach to the road.

The one thing no one has mentioned is you have the road spline points to near the stoppers. Traffic needs to see and react to the stoppers, this they will not do until they pass the spline point before the stopper. If your crossing was very wide traffic would stop between the stoppers and be on the track. You would then place a spline point near the stoppers on the inside so traffic did not see the stopper and would clear the track.

Thank you for that info, Like I said, The problem is that from what I have learned that the road, track and stoppers all get attached together some way and some how. I haven't figure that out yet. If you have an updated video that would show me just what to do. That gives details. That would be great. I think peter is having some problems and doesn't know if he will be able to make a video detailing this.

Unless I misread you're last reply, The ATLS stoppers do not get attached to the track if you're still trying to use those. The ATLS trigger placed on the track(Set to same channel as Slave) is what stops the traffic.
Dean

Thanks Dean, If you download that sample route that was posted. and just select the road that's used. and if you try and move that road. The road, Track and stoppers with move all so. and as far as I know. All the setting for the slave, trigger are all set. On my 1st post. I followed a video showing me how to do this. I fount out that it doesn't work. and from what I have learned. That's what's wrong. The Track, Road and Stoppers have to be connected together some how.

I downloaded and everything is fine as far as I can see? Drove session as downloaded and traffic was stopping? If you move the stoppers from side to side you can see that stoppers(Or anything related) is not attached to track. If the video you watched had a Grade Crossing Plate such as the ones by BNSF50 then yes the track does get attached, but that is a different set up. Hope this helps?
Dean

That's right, That's the sample that Peter sent me and it works just fine. What I don't under stand is why I can't get it too work. I fount a route on Trainz 12. I setup a crossing gate on that all so and couldn't get it to work, That's why I gave up on that game. How ever. There was another crossing gate set up with stoppers that did work. and I fount it setup the same way that sample was setup. The Track, Road and Stoppers were all attached together some how. I need to try and failed to find a video that give more detail and explains everything.

Dean, Peter. can't make a video. if you can. Let me know. I'm about ready to give up on this game.

Have you tried just setting up on a single board-A new route, without any assets already in place? Trying things on a route already built is fine but usually has a lot of distractions. There are the "rollable" ( Yes rollable is part of the name-by author paulzmay ) stoppers on the DLS that work besides those ATLS ones, just make sure with those the checkerboard pattern faces towards the track. Put down section of track and stoppers to each side. This is the best time to add your "invisible" road to stoppers and crossing gates, slave, especially when your having issues when first learning. Connect end of road between each stopper. Now the IMPORTANT part when you add road to other side of stopper make sure it connects to stopper and not road!!! To check lift each stopper into the air so you can see road on both sides is lifting with stopper. Many times when you add the opposite side of road it will look like it "snapped" to stopper when in fact it went to spline point of road? As far as a video never done it before, heck I'm out breath typing this much!
Dean

Last edited:
Hi! Dean, I know what you mean, This post will last a while until I can get something working. any way Yes I tried that too. See this is what I stated before, That somehow the road and stoppers get connected. and the track all so gets connected all so. If I can figure how this works. It would fix my problem I bet. Dean, Instead of the typing, Try making a Video Stream using OBS. Just make sure if you do to give details that were never in the other videos. There's tutorials on youtube that will tell you how to setup and run the software. If you need some help I would be happy to help. I plan on making a video stream of my own and let you guys watch it. You mite be able to tell what I'm going wrong and correct me.

Can you show links to videos you have talked about? The only connection to the ATLS system as far as the track goes is the ATLS triggers. Train hits trigger, controller activates slave, which activates stoppers. If this isn't exactly the order you get the idea. As far as your suggestion to make video I'll look into it. I think you can get traffic to stop quicker than I can learn to make video. But like I said I will check it out. Good luck and do not give up. When I first saw the set up I thought you have to kidding. Practice might not make one perfect, but makes one better.
Dean

Dean, Thanks. From what I under stand is that this guy all so connected the road with the stoppers. That's the part I'm confused about. The problem with the video is that some people need to under stand that they need a mic. For a better tutorial. No mic for a tutorial is not a good idea. Too many details are left out and the problem is that you have to read what he's saying and miss what he does. (If you under stand what I mean).

Dean, if you look at the 1st post. I have a link for a video I used to make this setup. How ever I never could get this to work, In Trainz 12 or Trainz The New Era. The problem with the video is that he doesn't say how he connected the road the to stoppers.

What I did is this. The sample that Peter gave me. I created a new xing using the same setup he has, How ever I can't get it to work, Why because I'm missing a procedure of some kind to get this to work, Let me up load this again what I did and I'll put it on my dropbox. so you guys can download it and try it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4vgu4cca1ayhnqn/Test 01.cdp?dl=0 Download this route and add it to your Trainz The New Era. after importing it and "edit the route". The setup in the center is the one Peter Did. The setup closer to the end in the one I did. The one peter did works. The one I did doesn't work, Why. What did I do wrong.

Last edited:
Lemme see if this pic is helpfull.

1 exscuse the oddities as I did this on the fly.

2 You indeed do not have the road attached to the stopper, so this is why the carz keep rolling.

3. The screen capture deleted the spline points, so I drew my own

6931a87d016412b6209fa78220afaec9.jpg

Sorry I don't under stand, Your saying merge the stoppers to the road. I just need a short video showing me how to do this that so This old man can under stand.

Maybe the word "merge" is confusing you. How about "connect"? Connect the lower road spline to the bottom circle of the traffic stopper. Connect the upper road spline to the topmost circle of the traffic stopper. When you do that, the road is automatically extended across (under) the traffic stopper and the traffic stopper is invisible when you are in Driver. The two connection spots on the LONG side of the traffic stopper are used to connect the invisible track to the various parts of the crossing (like drop-down bars, flashing lights, and the Slave Unit (the blue & white arrow thing). The whole crossing is driven by the Controller (black/white cross). The actual train hits the green posts (Triggers) on the track and the Controller tells the crossing gates to drop and lights to flash and carz to stop. Make sure the controller is in Crossing mode and all the separate units are on the same channel.

Bill

Last edited:
Back