Is N3V Rational?

I, for one, never use the Advanced Driving Controls (throttle, train and independent brakes, etc). The simple "W", "X" and "S" keys suit me just fine. I rarely get into the cab to view the journey from there - what is the point of all that scenery if you don't see it?
I neither know nor care how to drive a diesel, but for me being able to drive a well fettled steam engine from the footplate is a major part of the Trainz experience. With the resources that already exist in Trainz it's possible to create scenery that looks well and pleases the eye, - so I tend to look upon N3V's furious efforts at creating high resolution scenic eye candy over actually fixing very real faults with the simulator software as being a huge waste of time and resources.

So there you go, - my own opinion of the Trainz experience that's no doubt a different take to what other Trainz folk think.

Which is precisely part of the appeal for me.

You're right, even the largest prototype based models use a compressed geography where there are far shorter runs between the "action" of yards and towns. Tunnels or turning the corner represents 100s of miles IRL.

I tend to think of Trainz as a hybrid, unlimited space (within reason) to stretch out, but still a model - just a digital one, so called V Scale.

I don't look to it to be a VR simulator, just as I never looked to Flight Simulator to be like the kind pilots actually use but in my home.

I think it's folly for Trainz to attempt this. But at the same time, I don't want it to be a "arcade game" experience either. That's the hard part, which I think even N3V hasn't made a fully formed definition for its self. Where to draw the line.

OTOH, it does seem that they've provided a good frame work to go either way, and perhaps that's IS the goal. Provide the engine, and let the content creators sort it out.

After all, its up to the CC to decide if their locos will do the full cold and dark operations or just be a grab and go, for example.

Some interesting thoughts above. I've been at this since TRS2004 and not once did it occur to me that the game was simulating a model railway rather than the real thing. Admittedly, early on the quality was basic and the assets limited (and everything so clean!), but the latest developments have really made realism possible if that's what you want.

Some interesting thoughts above. I've been at this since TRS2004 and not once did it occur to me that the game was simulating a model railway rather than the real thing. Admittedly, early on the quality was basic and the assets limited (and everything so clean!), but the latest developments have really made realism possible if that's what you want.
Not only have I read that it started out as a model railroad on a computer, but some early industries that were around back in TRS2004 were literal 1:1 digital versions of model kits for model railroading. Hyde Pulp Mill comes to mind along with numerous others.

2004 when I returned after seven years from Indonesia I had a very concrete plan to build the Potsdamer Bahnhof Berlin 1870 as a 1:160 gauge model. Even the roof of the hall of the station was already finished, soldered with brass profiles.
So I went to a model railway shop to buy the first batch of turnouts still the prices of the old days in my head. Not much to tell, the plan dissolves oneself into the air, the roof did its duty on the model railway of my father (1:87 gauge)...

Deeply frustrated I wanted to leave the shop as my eyes fell on a small box titled 'Trainz railway simulator 2004'. Being infected by the computer virus since 1982 I thought 'what can go wrong' and bought another virus...

As a model railway guy I embrace the idea to build a complete route in real scale. Being modest, start small, I decided for the Woltersdorfer Strassenbahn. I bought TransDem and started the route full of enthusiasm until I found out during a test drive on the route that the main tram there the Gotha T57 was not available for Trainz. Again 'what can go wrong' I got Gmax later 3dsMax and started the adventure of asset creation. Hence I never touched Trainz again except for asset testing. I have to admit the T57 was never finished but contact me if you would like to have a beta version...

Long story short TRS2019 will be the last version of Trainz I bought since I completely deprecate a subscription model for software. Curse Adobe, curse AutoDesk and curse N3V! So I hope assets which have build 4.6 will work on for a long time...

mick1960

Perhaps it is worthwhile to hear from the CEO of Auran Greg Lane and what he thought at the time.

If you want to see more of what the Brew Crew were thinking and doing back then, just change the 5 in the URL above to 4, 3, 2, 1 to see the other insidetrack postings. It is shocking to see how closely the development of Trainz has followed Greg's vision and the team's early vision.

Last edited:
Long story short TRS2019 will be the last version of Trainz I bought since I completely deprecate a subscription model for software. Curse Adobe, curse AutoDesk and curse N3V!
The latest releases, TRS22 and TRS22PE, are NOT subscription offerings. They are outright purchases, nothing further to pay unless you want to buy DLC. Gazing into my crystal ball I see that TRS25 and TRS28 will also be outright purchases, subscription free.

The only subscription offering in the Trainz franchise is Trainz Plus.

And there is this from 2010 regarding the future of Trainz.

.... Another step in the right direction is to implement EOT movement rather that an intrusive "rough handling" on screen message. This has been implemented by Jointed Rail in some of their newer payware locos and it is available from RR Mods so again the answer is available but N3V still do not seem to strive to get involved in the implementation.

EOT stands for End-of-Track? What is is about? How does it look like?

A wonderful program but due to poor software management over the years lots of traps exist. Doing things on the cheap and causing the customer to fix problems (where possible) is a good cost containment approach BUT....

With hundreds of complaints every year, it has become a tolerable environment. The people with great memories for past fixes can, within seconds, popup some really good solutions to problems. These people support N3V without compensation. Without them Tony and his crew would be long gone.
THANKS to the real support staff for N3V.

EOT stands for End-of-Track? What is is about? How does it look like?
EOT stands for End Of Train and the driver can program the train length in the cab and use it to know when the tail of his train passes a particular point by setting it running as the lead loco passes the point and when the tail passes the driver knows and can take the appropriate action.

The latest releases, TRS22 and TRS22PE, are NOT subscription offerings. They are outright purchases, nothing further to pay unless you want to buy DLC. Gazing into my crystal ball I see that TRS25 and TRS28 will also be outright purchases, subscription free.

The only subscription offering in the Trainz franchise is Trainz Plus.
They are also, deliberately, feature inferior versions of Trainz+. To stay on the cutting edge, you have to subscribe.

To be fair, the cutting edge (or "bleeding edge" as some care to call it) is not for everyone. I am also an avid beta tester (the more pain the better I like it 😄).
So you like going to the dentist? I'm Plus gold - but not "avid" - as just like teeth, Trainz will sometimes provide some pain. :ROFLMAO:

This is one of the more interesting threads i have seen so far, the topic is general and open, no matter if some disagree with some others which is not bad, humanity would never make progress if we were only agree. I feel the need to share with you my experience with this simulator-hobby. Everyone has his own angle of view as everyone has his needs and expectations from this game. I said in another thread that for first time, i saw and used Trainz simulator 2006, shared from a magazine demo. At the time i saw that demo the current title was Trainz 2010, i managed to download a not legal version of the game Trainz 2010 Engineers edition. That was the ultimate hit for me, i remember i was shocked from the quantity of the content that version had, almost everything was included except of course payware staff. After 2 years i created a steam account, i am a hardcore gamer since 1992 when Commodore Amiga 500 launched on my desk. The newer and first title that appeared in steam was Trainz 12. I thought that it was about time to give this game the chance and buy it. Though Trainz 12 had many problems mainly stability and performance, i don t remember that i was disappointed, i really enjoyed that title spending 2,322 hours (steam stats). That period economics were not good in Greece and for me also, i was unemployed and i was depending so much on content creators who were producing freeware content, routes and locos, so to make my collection bigger. Exactly then i started to appreciate the content creators for their efforts and the game engine also, which was so welcome to host others people creations. I understood very well at that part, that the game was offering the engine but the quantity and the force was through the contents in content manager. I realized later the power of the forum, i remember when i was cooperating with a member and we managed to make the stubborn Br9f standard to finally appear in Trainz 12 railyard. Later Tane came, i bought it with service pack 4 and platinum edition, 1834 hours of playing ( steam stats), after some years i started to spent few money on payware content, mainly to support the company to develop the game further and some content creators that i had used freeware in the past. Tane was a big step forward, much better than Trainz 12 but without the railyard which i found was my biggest disappointment, hopefully it was only this. I passed Trainz 19 totally because my pc was not good enough to support it so i stuck with Tane until this November. I moved from Greece to Germany last year and for practical reasons i bought a HP Victus laptop for gaming, i was not so sure if it could handle Trainz 22 but i took the risk for one reason, backwards compatibility, so not to buy again the dlc i have bought already in Tane. Hopefully the laptop can manage very good on high settings. Trainz 22 for me is the best Trainz i have seen so far, numbers are telling the truth 485 hours in 2 months (steam stats). I am not hesitating also since economics are better to enrich the hobby that at difficult times and now keeps me company and helping me to relax from the problems of life. Concluding from all the above, the main power of the title was, is and shall be the content. Secondly comes the engine of the game, and after graphics and sounds. All the previous without the good team spirit of the forum, everyone to play good his role, content creators payware and freeware and advices to solve problems even sharing our thoughts as we do now in this thread, would make the game less interesting and important. Priority to team spirit, N3V needs the content creators and the content creators need the engine they like and feel comfortable all this time and all we need the forum to communicate. Thank you all for being such a good company for 12 years now.

So I hope assets which have build 4.6 will work on for a long time...

mick1960
All my assets are 5.0 (TRS19 SP5), which will likely be the cutoff point for all future modern Trainz assets (as far as backwards compatibility goes), as major changes were made and new functions introduced in the tranzscript environment with 5.0+ that makes anything below that totally incompatible.

As has been said many tines and many places, Trainz is what YOU make of it. Auran/N3V provide the sandbox then you do with it what you want. And from the various posts, that is exactly what people are doing. From the rivet counter to the casual driver to the landscape builder, everyone has their own vision as to where Trainz needs to go. The trick for N3V is to find that golden mean where they satisfy enough people with enough features to make it to the next version. After more than 21 years on this track, they've done a good enough job from my point-of-view

Perhaps it is worthwhile to hear from the CEO of Auran Greg Lane and what he thought at the time.

If you want to see more of what the Brew Crew were thinking and doing back then, just change the 5 in the URL above to 4, 3, 2, 1 to see the other insidetrack postings. It is shocking to see how closely the development of Trainz has followed Greg's vision and the team's early vision.
I get a 404 error with that link.

Back