Auran love and hate relationships ending 2010

Ed, the authenticity you displayed in your plethora of humility has deeply touched me. I too must remember to display a more apologetic tone when addressing others that are here to assist, compartmentalize and simplify these complex issues.

John merry Xmas and a wonderfull 2010 in 2011

Happy holidays to you too and your family, Roy.

John

john thank you so much for this kind reply and thought of the product Trainz and wishes.
Very much appreciated!
I am surprised because most of the time some expert has that urge to make firewood of a thread comment or misspelled word for me still a foreign language. When you get older even more it plaques you to find the word and its correct spelling so be it.

Yes no product is perfect and my intention is never to hurt or damage Auran's business but a harsh word when you read it careful is not automically dynamite more fertilizer for give it a push for grow and improvement. Yes to much fertilizer is dynamite too.
Over the years I had great times with trainz and see it grow with all the hick ups and still enjoy although now it is getting more and more to the quality and reliability of the route and sessions and that is another pair of shoes but still very enjoyable.

Its a pity the dutch guy Pellerin he calls himself seems to stroll around in several threads and get it easily of topic and tickle people to say it careful
Mac, Meatloaf747, exposed him and criticized him bluntly but you know in the fruit bucket you have good apples and less good ones that makes this world turn around.
Enough for today
You and you family have a wonderful Xmas and happy New Year!

Roy,Ning;)

SNIP

Which pretty much proves my point, I told HIM why long ago, he don't wanna hear it. I was gonna ignore the alert, but one of the admins pulled rank on me and edited out the comment. :hehe: That's what I like about this place, I can say the Trainz splined switches stink on ice and speedtrees look like Day of the Triffids and tank my framerates, and even if the devs disagree with that they at least give me the right to an opinion.

+1

Very strange atmosphere over at TS currently, though interestingly a thread on UKTS is postulating that the TS owner is still more supportive of MSTS than RW!

Anyhow that is that, but the fact is RW signalling is still broken. I treated myself (if "treat" is the right expression) to a couple of items in the big Steam sale. Set up a scenario which involves the loco uncoupling from and running round its train. Just about every signal en route I had to Tab past as they wouldn't clear (I think on single lines if your path returns the way you came the despatcher gets baffled). Finally at my first destination I went to uncouple the loco and run round. The signal, having previously cleared, had dropped to danger during the station stop then refused to let me tab past it for the run round = game over.

They (RSC) have just made a big announcement re their North East Corridor route but unless the signalling gets fixed it will just be another scenic drive this time down an urban corridor.

Well now I'm confused. I've registered some eight versions of the game, as have many others, some less of course. So you mean to say that registering the game with Planet Auran can be done without setting up an account that allows you to participate on the forums? I'm doubtful this is the case, but I'm no rocket scientist either...:eek:

It is at least the other way around. You can have a forum account without registering a Trainz version. I assume it works both ways, but I have been known to be wrong numerous times.

Last edited:
Anyway Brittany to you and your family from all here including the entire cattle and dogs a very happy and quiet Xmas and most successful 2011.

Happy Holidays To Your Family as well.

@steve123 - from where I'm sat a) CMP3.3 works absolutely fine and b) most of the complaints originate from a small but vocal minority.

I'm not saying for a minute that those with a problem shouldn't speak out about it, but it can give a false impression of how many people are unhappy.

Happy punters don't post to tell everyone that they are content - fortunately. It would be a very boring and full forum if they did.

Regards,

Anthony

I am with you there. I haven't seen ANY issues with 2010 that I saw with tc3/2009 cmp...

I am getting far more enjoment/game play out of 2010 than any other version of trainz. I even got Transdem as an xmas present for myself and am really getting into a whole new direction of route building...

Actually, there is something auran can do... If they used some of the revenue from the "1 million copies sold" to buy some more servers, then download speeds would increase massively

Well "servers" does not equate to "download speeds" not by any means. You can have 500 servers connected to a 128k WAN connection and you wont get any more "download speed" than you will with 1 server connected to a 128k WAN.

Bandwidth is the key and it comes with a premium price. Give any hosting company a call and ask them specifically what it would cost to offer 300k to say 50,000 simultaneous connections.

I am sure the price might just surprise you...

This one actually made me laugh... Sorry, but it does.

Being the helpdesk, you wouldn't believe how BAD it can make you feel knowing that you will have trouble with sorting an issue out for a customer. In fact, just having to leave it a day whilst awaiting the Trainz team to investigate is bad enough to me, let alone having to leave it longer to focus on 'faster' tickets (yes, this does happen, so as to be able to spend more time on it eventually).

Believe me, if we were forced to do this, it's likely that there would be no Trainz team. Generally, putting negative in, gives negative results (seen this in friends many times). On the other hand, providing constructive comments (such as telling is the specific issues you see) is a positive method, which will generally give a positive result.

In regards to service packs... I think 90% of the games I own have at least one patch/service pack. The reason? Games have to be released eventually, so as to bring in some income to pay for the work to create said game (remember, the Trainz team are paid, they aren't volunteers!). After this, we work to fix bugs that we either couldn't fix before release (especially if it's a bug that is discovered after release), or that we didn't feel was important as another bug that was fixed.

Granted, this does mean you need to update. However, this also means that we can make improvements as we go (for example, in some updates, we improved the code for maps, to help improve performance; we also added a new material for models in TS2009 SP1; etc). They aren't all about fixing 'bugs'. If I remember right, the patches for the add-on packs (S&C, Murchison 2, Classic Cabon City, and Treez) added new items for some of the packs, as well as fixing some conflicts. At the same time, the traffic was updated to function under TS2010 (not actually a bug, since they were designed for TS2009, but an upgrade to allow them to function in a newer software).

Of course, we could just not provide service packs, and save all fixes for the next edition of Trainz. However, I don't think there would be very many that would be happy with this...

As to faulty assets out of the box, there was a known bug (note, was found after release of SP2) that caused this after patching to service pack 2. There's also a sticky in the TS2010 forum outlining how to fix this. SP3 also made improvements to prevent this. TS2010 itself should not show any faulty assets in Content Manager if you haven't attempted to modify any built-in items, except in the above situation.

Well Zec been there , done that and I am sooo glad to be retired...

I have done level I, II and III support, created and managed call centers and helpdesks. The one thing you as a tech can not correct from a remote location.... You can't tighten the "loose NUT behind the keyboard" :hehe:

Back