Fixed tracks don't snap to each other

klioli

I am all new to Trainz, and I am using 2022 Plus with the Surveyor 2.0. I noticed that I can't get two straight fixed track segments to snap to each other. They just overlap and can be moved indepentently but they never connect. Only when I pull the end of a splint to a fixed track, the two tracks connect. Is this intended behaviour or is there a setting that I missed?

It has been years (decades?) since I have used Fixed Track assets but I don't believe that they were designed to be snapped together. Instead you normally use normal track splines to connect to each end of a Fixed Track asset and, if necessary, to connect two fixed track segments together.

So the sequence would be ...

Track Spline <-> Fixed Track <-> Track Spline <-> Fixed Track <-> Track Spline

Fixed track should snap together: I routinely use the curved sections to make circular tracks (then I replace them with track splines)

As far as I know Auran's built-in tracks snap together with no issues. The only way to check whether a fixed track (or an industry track) snaps is to view it in MeshViewer: the positive Y of the end "a.track" should point outwards.

I' still coping with the TS12/TRS19 transition but I think they should also work in TRS22, unless some new feature has broken them :cool:

Before posting my message above I did try snapping fixed track elements together in Trainz Plus but they would not join.

I just tried it in TRS22PE with the same result. Fixed Track assets will not "snap together". You need to use a spline track segment between Fixed Track assets if you want to join them in a sequence.

PS: I do recall a time (perhaps pre TRS12??) when fixed track segments did snap together but, if so, then that seems to have changed. I also have a vague memory that the snapped together fixed track segments did have some "issues" but I do not recall what those issues were.

Last edited:
I do recall a time (perhaps pre TRS12??) when fixed track segments did snap together but, if so, then that seems to have changed.
At least I know that I'm not stupid here. Thanks. I wonder what the point of somf of those fixed radius track assets should be if they weren't designed for snapping to each other.

After a week or so of diving into it, I generally think that laying track seems to be the weakest part of Trainz. There should be an option to copy a track section to a specified distance for creating a clean double track, for example. Working with those way gauges is just tedious. There are other rail games that can do this, so Trainz could do it too. Anohter thing that I find missing is the option to set the rotation of a piece of track or to set a curve radius for a spline by entering an exact value.

I wonder what the point of somf of those fixed radius track assets should be if they weren't designed for snapping to each other.

They provide straight sections of track that can be accurately position in yards. Curved fixed track sections provide curved track at a set radius. In both cases I prefer to use track splines over fixed tracks.

After a week or so of diving into it, I generally think that laying track seems to be the weakest part of Trainz.

Possibly, but it comes down to practice, experience and convenience. I do recall when I was experimenting with Fixed Track segments many (many) years ago I found them to be very fiddly and awkward to use. Positioning them correctly, for example, I found to be very difficult and it became more difficult with the longer segments.

My experiences anyway.

@klioli, you will find when creating yards and laying tracks close to each other you may want to use the Shift key. Shift-click keeps the track spline from warping and trying to join to the track next to it. Welcome to Trainz!

My only use for fixed tracks is to use as a straight-edge when you want to align tracks or roads to a specific angle - more accurate than using rulers. Several days ago I was trying to make a very long straight-edge by joining 2 1000m fixed tracks and they would not join. Yet, I was able to join 2 100m fixed tracks with no problem.

They work for me in TS12. Since they are objects, you should use the add object tool to place them away from any other pieces, rotate the new piece to close to the correct angle to join the other pieces and then use the move tool to align the spline circles and they snap in place. Once joined they can be moved and rotated as a unit to the final location. Since the origin of the track piece is in the middle of each piece and you move it by the grasping the origin, you can see how a long piece would make it difficult to align the spline points from a long distance away.

I just tried in TRS22 PE and after downloading 6 pieces of curved fixed track by Auran from the DLS, I was able to use the above procedure to connect them. I'm using classic surveyor. I flipped over to driver and I was able to drive a loco over the segments I had assembled.

Since the origin of the track piece is in the middle of each piece and you move it by the grasping the origin, you can see how a long piece would make it difficult to align the spline points from a long distance away.
That was the issue that I found with long fixed track segments. A small rotation at the centre point became a wild swing at the end points which made it next to impossible to align the end points to a specific position.

Using the Shift key (as mentioned by Forester1 above) and the Straighten Tool option when laying splines have eliminated, for me at least, the need to use fixed track segments.

I agree, the really long pieces are virtually impossible to align. I used fixed track a great deal of years ago when I was making a lot of layouts from model railroad plans but not so much anymore. It is a lot easier to use a template to align the spline points of "flex track".

the majority of fixed tracks worked fine up to T:ANE SP1, which broke them (among many other things). T:ANE SP2 fixed them to a degree, then T:ANE SP3 actually fixed them for real. the ones i use still work fine in TRS22 SP1 using surveyor 1.0.

I can understand not wanting to learn a new way of doing things if you're just starting out. Surveyor 1.0 is definitely more straightforward in that regard. Maybe stick with that for now until you get more comfortable with the basics. And don't worry about the fixed tracks - sounds like splines usually work better anyway. The main thing is just enjoying yourself and figuring things out step-by-step.

Fixed-track segments appear to connect fine in T: ANE, TRS19, TRS22 and PLUS

I tried Fixed Track segments by bekaember. Whose content are you using that doesn't work.

There was a reason why they were discontinued but I can't recall, maybe it was a performance issue.

I'm not sure if this was ever requested. It would be nice if we had a parallel-track tool.

The tool could work something like this:

Select a track we want to use.
Click on the parallel-track tool.
Enter in the number of parallel tracks 2 to whatever.
Enter the space between the tracks in meters in the parameters part of the tool.

Click OK and lay the parallel tracks and hit ESC to cancel.

Something like this would make laying mainlines and creating yards so much easier.

Last edited:
Check out the 3Dtrains - No 1 Yard Jig. I think you will like it. For best results, when you delete the jigs, replace them with a short spline segment of the same length as the jig and use the straighten tool on the short segments.

Fixed-track segments appear to connect fine in T: ANE, TRS19, TRS22 and PLUS

I tried Fixed Track segments by bekaember. Whose content are you using that doesn't work.
I just tried some of his fixed track segments in Trainz Plus using S20, specifically <kuid2:102376:65253:1> Fixed Track 2d r= 200 and <kuid2:102376:65116:1> Fixed Track 15d r= 200, and they would not snap together. They could only be joined by a spline segment between them.

Last edited:
Seems like a bug in S20, as the assets work in Classic Surveyor.
Confirmed. I will submit a bug report.

Interestingly: If two fixed track segments are joined in S1.0 they can be separated in S2.0 by dragging one segment away from the other BUT a track spline will appear that will connect the two segments. I didn't expect that.

Last edited:
Back