Need a Tunnel Wide Enough for 4 tracks

Little_Boy921

Route Building Rocks
Im currently working on a recreation of the New York Central Hudson Division and when I was approaching Rhinecliff, I noticed that there was an actual tunnel just north of the station that was wide enough for 4 tracks instead of it being two tunnel bores carrying two tracks each. This is a very unique tunnel design and its probably why I've been having trouble trying to find a tunnel that could fit that criteria; packaged with the game and on the DLS. There are some I found but they're limited where I can place them on the baseboard. I wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions on tunnel assets I could use since I have a feeling more results wouldnt fall under the specific keywording of "4 track tunnel" when searching on the DLS

Do you have a picture or a screenshot of the tunnel that you can share? It would help a lot of people see the thing; maybe it reminds them of a certain asset.

I know I made a very basic concrete tunnel, but the chances of that meeting what you have in mind are next to none.

You may have to make it yourself. There are separate tunnels and tunnel entrances that can be put together. It may require some fiddling to line up the parts but it may work in the end. These are all scenery-objects. The tunnel entrances are similar to buildings, or sometimes track-objects and the interior of the tunnel is a spline. To "open up the ground for the tunnel, you use dig-hole objects to punch through the terrain.

If this is a 4-track concrete tunnel, RRSignal made a SEPTA Tunnel Spline and some concrete walls if you need them.
<kuid2:481384:100704:1> SEPTA Tunnel Spline
<kuid:481384:1008042> SEPTA Tunnel - Wall

Do you have a picture or a screenshot of the tunnel that you can share? It would help a lot of people see the thing; maybe it reminds them of a certain asset.

I know I made a very basic concrete tunnel, but the chances of that meeting what you have in mind are next to none.

Of course! In hindsight, I probably should've included some photos but ah well. The tunnel in question is the Astor Tunnel (or Clifton Point Tunnel or Rhinecliff Tunnel), and its located just north of the Rhinecliff station between Mileposts 91 and 92. The following pics are screencaps from two YouTube videos of the Hudson Line, a cab ride and a rear view video which I'll also link as well. I would go with higher quality photos but trying to find any image of the Astor Tunnel is neigh impossible. I think I only got search result a couple of a weeks ago but I cant find it unfortunately. I guess it makes sense, considering that the Breakneck Ridge Tunnels, Park Avenue Tunnel, and the Tunnels in the Bear Mountain Area are a far more iconic and what most people think of when the topic of 'Tunnels on the Water Level Route' come up. It's probably also the reason that the Astor Tunnel has so many names XD.

2024-02-28.png

Skip to 30:51
2024-02-28_%281%29.png

Skip to 18:03

This tunnel is probably a lot easier to make. Check out some of the UK tunnels. This doesn't even have to be a "tunnel" and can be a bridge that's been locked in place and buried over with dirt. It may take a few bridges to get the depth, but I think that would work fine.

You may have to make it yourself. There are separate tunnels and tunnel entrances that can be put together. It may require some fiddling to line up the parts but it may work in the end. These are all scenery-objects. The tunnel entrances are similar to buildings, or sometimes track-objects and the interior of the tunnel is a spline. To "open up the ground for the tunnel, you use dig-hole objects to punch through the terrain.

If this is a 4-track concrete tunnel, RRSignal made a SEPTA Tunnel Spline and some concrete walls if you need them.
<kuid2:481384:100704:1> SEPTA Tunnel Spline
<kuid:481384:1008042> SEPTA Tunnel - Wall

Honestly, I've been thinking about doing that if I cant find a tunnel preset to use. Like I said, the Astor Tunnel is a very, very unqiue tunnel design. As for the SEPTA Tunnel, I just downloaded and while its not round, I may settle for it if Im out of options. May not be accurate but if it walks and quacks like a duck, than its a duck

This tunnel is probably a lot easier to make. Check out some of the UK tunnels. This doesn't even have to be a "tunnel" and can be a bridge that's been locked in place and buried over with dirt. It may take a few bridges to get the depth, but I think that would work fine.

ooooh I like that idea 👀

I know what you mean. I've been running into a lot of those things on a route I've been working on. What could be so simple has become a nightmare.

@Little_Boy921 👋

I whipped up an example for you, of @JCitron's suggestion, using 3 dls assets 🍻

1.) Two Tunnel portals and lower wall sections in the route layer.
2.) Second level wall sections, place 2 meters higher than the 1st, in their own layer.
3.) The flat Flach splines in their own layer.

Their is also a 20 foot tall version of the DS Wall you can use, in place of the 15ft version.
Less fiddling with layers, LOL

If you want to have a vertical wall face, reverse the directions of the wall splines, sloped on one side, vertical on the other. 👍

<kuid:521966:101786> RC DS Dirty Brick Wall 20ft

I know those Corner pillars are too tall.... might be similar assets available, I didn't bother looking. 😊

Screenshot

NY-Tunnel-example.png

The only problem I had with building tunnels using bridges was having to figure out a way to keep cars from flitting across them. :rolleyes:

Bill
There are some bridges, such as those FMA bridges shown in the image don't have any traffic. These are basic bridges that work as both road and rail bridges. Road as is or by putting another road on top, or as a rail bridge by using this as a base for the track.

<kuid2:184151:400:2> Tunnel Stone 3Tracks will allow 4 tracks to fit. Place the tunnel and sink it 0.3m down then place your track through it but not connecting to it.

Try these The first 3 are splines base - sides - roof - you can make them as narrow or as wide as you like by overlapping and adding walls
the last 2 are tunnel and portal

<kuid:489332:37304> Dm-Tunnel-Bs Boden 20x20m (Vorabversion)

<kuid:489332:37302> Dm-Tunnel-Bs Decke 20x20m (Vorabversion)

<kuid:489332:37301> Dm-Tunnel-Bs Wand 9m (Vorabversion)

<kuid2:489332:36501:2> Dm-Tunnel

<kuid2:489332:37305:1> Dm-Tunnel-Bs Adapter Tunnel-Rund (Vorabversion)

@Little_Boy921 👋

I whipped up an example for you, of @JCitron's suggestion, using 3 dls assets 🍻

1.) Two Tunnel portals and lower wall sections in the route layer.
2.) Second level wall sections, place 2 meters higher than the 1st, in their own layer.
3.) The flat Flach splines in their own layer.

Their is also a 20 foot tall version of the DS Wall you can use, in place of the 15ft version.
Less fiddling with layers, LOL

If you want to have a vertical wall face, reverse the directions of the wall splines, sloped on one side, vertical on the other. 👍

<kuid:521966:101786> RC DS Dirty Brick Wall 20ft

I know those Corner pillars are too tall.... might be similar assets available, I didn't bother looking. 😊

Screenshot

NY-Tunnel-example.png

Dang I really need to keep better track of my threads lol

Thats pretty much how ended up handling the Rhinecliff Clifton Forge Astor Super Special Awesome Tunnel. I havent done much beyond that but using the DS Concrete Wall as a vertical face is a pretty good idea.
2024-03-06.png

Its kinda crazy how geniously simple this whole thing is. Like all this is is just 3 concrete bridges placed next to each other and it works as a tunnel. I honestly dont think I would've ever come up with without any suggestion from this community. You guys genuinely rock!

Back