How to prevent snapping to other spline points when making junctions?

klioli

Yes, I know that holding the shift key will prevent tracks from snapping to existing spline points. But doing so also prevents the creation of junctions. So what should I do if want to connect to tracks with junctions but the ends keep snapping to other spline points? There doesn't seem to be an option to create a junction from a piece of track that has been placed by holding shift. Sometimes it helps to start or stop building the connection track a bit away from the desired point and then move the junction point afterwards. But somtimes things are so tight that no matter where you click there is a spline point nearby that makes it impossible to create the junction.

I may have picked you up wrongly (and if so apologies), but what about starting with the junction point and working outwards?

I have never encountered the problem you are describing. The question that I have is why do you have so many spline points so close together?

I have never encountered the problem you are describing. The question that I have is why do you have so many spline points so close together?
Becase I am dealing with a massive array of switches at a large station. It's a rebuild of a real life station, and it has multiple parallel single or double slip switches with around 10 parallel tracks approaching the platforms. Converting crossings to cascading douple slips is a nightmare.

Have you tried inserting a spline point where you want the new junction first? In S2.0 from the Tools Panel select the Fine Adjustment Tool. Then click the segment of track where you want the new junction to connect. You'll see a small track icon where you click. Left mouse on the icon and select the Insert Spline Point here option.
You should now be able to connect you new track section to that spline point.

When I have a 'too many spline points' issue, I create a new layer called 'Temp' (or whatever), put the splines I want to work with on the new layer, lock the Route Layer, get the job done, then merge 'Temp' back into 'Route'.....

When I have a 'too many spline points' issue, I create a new layer called 'Temp' (or whatever), put the splines I want to work with on the new layer, lock the Route Layer, get the job done, then merge 'Temp' back into 'Route'.....
Yes, I think this looks like the only proper way to deal with this issue. I will give it a try.

Have you tried inserting a spline point where you want the new junction first?
The funny things is that even if you drag to or from an existing spline point, the algorithm somehow prefers to snap it to the parallel track. Locking the other tracks seems to be the best solution, as has just been pointed out.

Back