Content Manager - Tips and Tricks (any version)

Using Content Manager when OFFLINE

I'm using TS12 and version 3.6 of the Content Manager on a laptop computer, and most of the time, I don't have access to the internet. I believe earlier versions of Content Manager had problems when you tried to use them in offline mode, so I'm hoping for some general advice, specifically about using Content Manager 3.6 in OFFLINE mode:

1) Are there any Content Manager actions or specific commands (besides the obviously impossible ones like downloading) that I should AVOID doing when offline?

2) Is it OK to Edit content, Repair content, and Commit assets when in offline mode, or am I liable to damage the assets?

3) What about Disabling/Enabling assets - OK to do while offline?

4) What about Database Repair (Quick and Extended)? Will those commands work properly offline?

5) Should I avoid installing (or creating) CDP's while offline?

Any advice about working with Content Manager offline would be appreciated, since I have no alternative most of the time that I'm using Trainz.

Thanks!

Content Manager will not work fully when offline, due to it needing to get your user ID from the Planet Auran systems.

1. I would avoid any commands that are likely to require your user ID, which includes creating new content, cloning existing content etc.
2. The assets should be OK, but be aware that if it's your own assets, you may have trouble finding them as the My Content tab will not work properly offline.
3. That function should not be affected by being offline.
4. Database repairs are not a good idea to do whilst offline, as part of it involves identifying missing dependencies which usually requires a connection in order to get the right information.
5. CDP installing/creation should not be affected.

Shane

The latest versions of Trainz remember the UserID when offline. It has been a problem with TRS2009, which used the default UserID of -2 when not online. With TS2010 and TS12 the ContentManager has to be online at least once to get the UserID.

Peter

Thanks!

By "fully patched" I assume Shane is referring to version 3.6 (Build 49922) of the Content Manager?

When Peter says
"With TS2010 and TS12 the ContentManager has to be online at least once to get the UserID"
I assume he means once per operating session. So, if I start Content Manager while online, then go offline, will it remember my User ID until I quit CM and restart?

It seems strange that Content Manager doesn't simply remember who I am, since my username (and password) are stored in the "Settings" dialog (accessible from "File" menu).

You are correct regarding my 'fully patched' response.

Meanwhile, it's not just Content Manager that requires internet, as TADDaemon also requires it to verify that your username and password are valid, and to get your uset ID, which it normally does once per session.

Shane

My computer for Trainz doesn't have any connection to the internet. Only once after installing a new version of Trainz, I got it connected for registering and getting the UserID. Ever since I have TS2010 and TS12 running without problems, and it still remembers my UserID.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I've just checked my version and it does appear to be saving the userid OK when offline. I have a feeling that may only last until a DB repair decides to take place offline.

Shane

I've done EDRs off line and the user id hasn't vanished. It can vanish if the PC crashes mid session be it CM or in game or if there is any file corruption occurring, in which case a disk check might be a good idea.

That's interesting to know.

Meanwhile, if anyone else has any tips to share regarding Content Manager, feel free to post them.

Shane

Robert90 - you may want to edit your post, as you haven't stated which terms.

Also, if you have any Trainz versions, register them.

Shane

By going to the 'View' menu in Content Manager, and then 'Columns' you can add or remove column headings.

By clicking on the Column Heading in Content Manager you can sort your database to your choosing.

For example: Click on 'Name' and your assets will appear in alphabetical order (A-Z). Click on it again and they will be sorted in the opposite order (Z-A).

Clicking on 'Author ID' will sort the database so that you can see all the assets made by one author together. Likewise, if you click on 'Build Version' your assets will be sorted from the lowest build number to the highest (or vice versa if you click a second time).

Hope this is helpful. I often use it when making my own content by sorting the database by 'Installation Time'. It makes it easy to find what I've been working on.

My content manager is offline and says to check my firewall/proxy settings but when I turn my firewall off, it still says it's offline. I dont have my proxy settigns on.

For missing dependencies, right-click the asset and click View Dependencies. Items with a ? next to them will need to be located manually.

In some cases, right-clicking the asset and clicking Download will pick up most missing dependencies.

As for faulty dependencies, you will need to use the View Dependencies/View in Main List combination until you find the faulty asset, then right-click and use View Errors and Warnings to find out what is wrong with it.

Shane

I have 27 unknown on the WM & BO Mega Route Native Mode . So how would i go about locate manually? I looked at your totorial and could not find anything. Running 2010 i come from MSTS it got to the point everything got easy on MSTS. This is all new to me. Thanks

Back