Advice I've learned: Run a database repair after installing a large amount of content in TANE/TRS19/TRS22

shebashetan7

Hello all,

After 5 years of running three different versions of Trainz, I've learned a very important piece of advice that may save you lots of headache. After installing a large amount of new content, such as a big route and it's dependencies, do not open the game. Stay in content manager and run a database repair first.

Trainz has to recalibrate it's database when a change is made. It takes a while for larger additions of content as not only new assets must be validated, but existing ones are rechecked due to dependencies being updated too. A database rebuild allows the game to sort out the content changes without having to open the game engine and dedicate resources to it. Not only is it faster, letting the game update the database first before anything else, it avoids potential for hangs, crashes, data corruption and other instabilities due to game engine running while the database is busy updating.

Backups are important too, but it's always advisable to be careful in the day to day use of Trainz as you manage content. A clean, stable content library is important to keeping your Trainz installation healthy. Also remember to update your computer when Microsoft or Apple distributes new patches for your computer. Keep a good anti-virus and use caution when looking for third party sites to expand your Trainz collection. These other tips are general advice for in any user, but they are just as important for anyone who use Trainz.

This is in general because it applies to TANE, TRS19 and TRS22 as they all derive from the same framework and engine introduced with TANE. If it belongs better in a different section of this forum, please let me know and move it appropriately.

Good advice. I never thought of running a DBR afterwards and slogged through the caching of new content after installed routes and all the dependencies.

I assume this is a Full Repair???
Hold the Ctrl key

When you do this, it is Full Repair, because I haven't done an Extended one for quite some time. I did one tonight, after reading the issues in several members with problem Downloads, Faulty Assets, and TRS22 issues too.

I started mine at 3:00AM after working on a Route I had merged several times. And fixed the Errors due to my numbskull mistakes made not saving, working in Session not in Route when editing Etc.

The EDBR finished about 0530, and I have 710,000 Assets in TRS2019.

Time was 2.5hrs compared to normal DBR repair times, say 2 mins to 10 mins max if there are Faulty Assets.

The largest issue I see in Trainz, overall, at least for me. Too many Faulty Assets slows trainz done and sometimes I occasionally get CTS (Crash to Screen)

And downloading over 50 assets and not running regular DBR afterwards, causes me immediate Slow down on Surveyor menus when your looking for Assets, and Window is blank with curl sign, indicating Trainz is trying to re index the Asset List.

So for me, in good practice, 100 Assets or more downloaded, I auto due a DBR for the health of my Trainz Program. And it has really made a difference.

As many of you know, Average Routes downloaded Etc, 100's of Assets are installed. Rule of reason for me. Take the time to close Surveyor or Active Route. down to Launch Window, make sure none of your File Backups are running, and if possible go into Airplane Mode, so DBR can run faster with less potential errors.

Keep in mind, Trainz is working your Hard Drive or SSD a lot during DBR, it this intense File opening, reading, verifying for master Database is taxing on Drives.

And Windows with it's Bloated OS with heavy background Operations is not much help either.

So we need to help our friend MR DBR the best that we can for optimum results.

Last edited:
Hold the Ctrl key

When you do this, it is Full Repair, because I haven't done an Extended one for quite some time. I did one tonight, after reading the issues in several members with problem Downloads, Faulty Assets, and TRS22 issues too.

I started mine at 3:00AM after working on a Route I had merged several times. And fixed the Errors due to my numbskull mistakes made not saving, working in Session not in Route when editing Etc.

The EDBR finished about 0530, and I have 710,000 Assets in TRS2019.

Time was 2.5hrs compared to normal DBR repair times, say 2 mins to 10 mins max if there are Faulty Assets.

The largest issue I see in Trainz, overall, at least for me. Too many Faulty Assets slows trainz done and sometimes I occasionally get CTS (Crash to Screen)

And downloading over 50 assets and not running regular DBR afterwards, causes me immediate Slow down on Surveyor menus when your looking for Assets, and Window is blank with curl sign, indicating Trainz is trying to re index the Asset List.

So for me, in good practice, 100 Assets or more downloaded, I auto due a DBR for the health of my Trainz Program. And it has really made a difference.

As many of you know, Average Routes downloaded Etc, 100's of Assets are installed. Rule of reason for me. Take the time to close Surveyor or Active Route. down to Launch Window, make sure none of your File Backups are running, and if possible go into Airplane Mode, so DBR can run faster with less potential errors.

Keep in mind, Trainz is working your Hard Drive or SSD a lot during DBR, it this intense File opening, reading, verifying for master Database is taxing on Drives.

And Windows with it's Bloated OS with heavy background Operations is not much help either.

So we need to help our friend MR DBR the best that we can for optimum results.
Blue, If you can afford one and have a slot for it get an M.2 NVMe ssd and get away from hard drives. If you don't have a slot on your motherboard you can get an adaptor for cheap that will fit in a PCI slot of your motherboard. My build folder is 149gb and I did an Enhanced DBR last night and it only took about ten minutes. Even users without an M.2 slot have a way to use one with adapters that are available. Way faster game load times as well.

Jack

Oh dear. I have been actively running Surveyor while downloading copious amounts of assets. You live and you learn, I suppose.

The Extended Database Repair is deleting the temporary timestamp of an asset in the search in surveyor. If you have downloaded some assets, you can search in surveyor for"Today" or any other date. After an extended database repair, this timestamp is deleted, and a search in surveyor for "Today" is showing all your installed assets. The normal database repair is keeping this timestamp.

Just my two cents. :)

Regards
Swordfish

The Extended Database Repair is deleting the temporary timestamp of an asset in the search in surveyor. If you have downloaded some assets, you can search in surveyor for"Today" or any other date. After an extended database repair, this timestamp is deleted, and a search in surveyor for "Today" is showing all your installed assets. The normal database repair is keeping this timestamp.

Just my two cents. :)

Regards
Swordfish
This is one of the little annoyances we have to deal with when we use the nuclear option to fix things. Sometimes, though there's no way around it.

Back