Content Manager - Tips and Tricks (any version)

That issue only crops up for people who fail to run Trainz as administrator in Windows Vista,7,or 8.

Shane

Is it a problem if folk install Trainz in C:\Program Files or c:\Program Files (x86)? I know that this causes a problem if folk install Blender there because the program cannot get write access to its data files. So, the standard solution is to install elsewhere.

Cheers

Ok, I have never posted to this forum before even though I have used Trainz since it first come out BUT...........................................
Come on Guys, I might be retired and have the time to spend on sorting through what works and what does not, even I have now reached my limits now.

So to help new and old members after you have spent hours making your item here is what I have found out.
Look to the “Content Manger” it does not steer you wrong. Is your item showing a “missing dependence” or is it showing a red or yellow “!” By “right one click” on the item and then left click on the “view errors and warnings” you get a list of errors that need correction. A yellow ”!” is not a problem as the item will work without further corrections.

Why, because even if your item shows in the Railway Shed, if there is an error it will not show in “surveyor” but will be shown as red.

To start with this is for older content, T12 content (ver 2.9) has a little blue dot in the bottom left of the catagory icon. Also NEVER use the "Content Plus" on any of the older content!

This is a list of what I have seen;

A bit of help first, is the item under the correct “Type Heading”? If not just put part of the name that you are looking for eg BR, GP, Class, Hopper, Tank, Flat and see what turns up I was amazed!

Do not leave a “.texture” text list behind, they should be deleted if not needed any more.

Has the “.im” or “.pm” file been complied AFTER alterations have been carried out?

Is it a “.bmp” or a “.tga” in the texture list and is it titled correctly.

Are ALL the .bmp or tga included in the body file?

The “body” and “art” files are prone to these two problems.

There must be a “shadow” file for rolling stock, engines, trucks and vehicles.

Most of the problems are with the “config” file;

KUID cannot be placed with “ <kuid:..........>” only as <kuid:.......>, is it complete or still in use. OLD KUIDs should be revisited to see if the KUIDs need updating.

If the KUID is only taken from another site or is “payware,” please tell us within the “description” tag.

Most missing KUIDs seem to be under the “MISC Type” but do not try and use the content manager’s “search box” drop down list arrow “category” list as it is not there! Why is that N3V?

The config file does not have a problem with very long descriptions just where you place the beginning and end “quotation marks”. This just does not work;

50’ “double box container”
Length: “(outer side) 10 ft”
Width: “(out side) 9’9’’ “

And so on, it should be:

Description “paintshed reskin
50’ Double Door container
Length: (outside) 10ft
Width: (outside) 9’9ft
Capcity: 4,689 lbs”

Note where the quotation marks are placed. Also, this seems to be repeted over and over again................. Mainly because people copy this error when re-skinning.
Also along description has been returned to the next to look like;

I "wish to thank ........................................................."
for "the help they gave............................................................."
This "is a re-skin by ...................................."

And so, where should the quotation marks be?

Are there any missing “dependencies”? Most common problem will be because it is an old “kuid” which has either removed or updated or not completed.

Folder of Alpha Numbers which are titled alpha_number1a.tga, and so on. Then in the body folder there are the .texture text file even if the digit1a.texture file is calling for the correct alpha_number .tga It will no way work! the alpha_number.tga MUST be renamed as as digit1a and placed within the body folder or where ever the .texture has been placed.

Now someone has added an "extra" picture by pointing to the icon.tga even though they have aready included the .jpg picture in the "config" file. This is leading to a red error "!" showing and it is now being copied by others. To show the picture of your work, only the .jpg is needed for it to by shown in Content Manager.

And for something new, some of you have been been putting _______ (underscore) at the start of the "config" file and in some cases 3/4 lines of it! This is leading to an error report back of "?" Remove the underscore line/s and no error will be shown.

There have been times when the old BASIC script of "rem" has been used and this can be quite had to find that it is the course of the erroe report. This is because what follows the "remark" is usually attributed as being wrong and a whole list of errors is shown.

Where has your work gone? Could this be because its go in the wrong "Catagory"? Well I have found a number of what should be kind "traincar" been noted as kind "engine" which has lead to it being report with errors. So what should be showing in "Catagory / Locomotive" is shown in "Catagory / Train - engine"!

To "commt" once you have altered the is as follows. Make sure that you "highligt" the correct file by a simple "right mouse click" which will make the line turn light blue. Then hold one of the "Ctrl" keys down and the "M" key at the sametime. You should then get the little "Commit" box to open and once finished the file should be marked with a yellow "!" and a "modified" triangle.
Once Modified you can always "Revert" by holding the "Ctrl" key, and this time, the "R" key at the sometime. If things are still not right you can "Revert to the Original" by holding the "Ctrl" key and the "O" key at the sametime.

If you need to alter a number of files at the samtime, I've found 5 to be the max, as long as they are one after the other you can "right click" on the first. Then hold the "shift" key and move to the last file and while still holding the shift key "right click" on the last one. All should now be highlighted in blue. You can now "left click" to open the menu and do whatever you wish.

I hope this helps members find the content that they are longing/looking for.

Riddy19

Last edited:
How do I connect with my own FTP program? What is the link to connect? Thanks in advance! :wave:

Paul

The details for this can be found under Planet Auran > FTP Settings. Bear in mind though that you will not be able to browse content using the FTP method.

Shane

P.S. If you want to be able to download content using FTP, the details for each asset can be found on the the relevant Download page when using the 'black pages' (online) version.

Last edited:
Shane

Why, oh why is it so difficult for me to log on to CM3.6. Sometimes it only(!) needs 3 or 4 resets of password/proxy/username etc. Tonight I've done about 17 still with no success. The most annoying thing that it knows it's me because it shows how many days I've got left on my lifetime (!) ticket, 8769, which wasn't initially showing.

Sometimes, VERY occasionally, I get on first time. Usually it takes multiple attempts. Some days I just give up. Very annoying to be constantly informed I haven't enterd a valid user name and password. After 10+ years I think I know what it is!
I've more than once posted tickets with Auran, but haven't got any better help than the usual reset ideas. Have you any suggestions on any file that could be deleted, or settings in Windows etc (I'm on win7, 64 bit) that may help? I've (now) got every .exe program running as administrator, got all files set not to be read only.

PS TADDeamon reports "....there's been an error in the SSLTransport creation" then of course "Planet Auran login failed"

Last edited:
OK - that's one possibility out the window.

Does anything strange report in the Network Diagnostics option in the File menu? It may be a firewall issue.

Shane

See note I added to initial post-I'm only using windows firewall at present-used to have Zone Alarm but I've re-installed win7 to change to the 64 bit version (some weeks ago now). Very frustrating that it's not the same experience every time which makes it harder to try to determin whether it's my end that's at fault.

I've got Avira (free) as my virus checker.
Just going through windows firewall settings to make sure all Trainz proframs can get through.

I've had this problem for a long time, before I re-installed windows. The helpdesk (Zac) suggested re-installing to a directory outside Program Files, and it's no on a seperate hard disk (on a laptop that takes 2).

Last edited:
Still getting the red banner telling me that there's no Planet Auran username or password entered so it's running offline!! (Even though they are there on the settings screen).

I do find that once it's decided to run offline that's it for the session!

That may help - if not, if I'm still online I will respond accordingly. If I'm not, I will be back on tomorrow morning.

Shane

Back