Can my computer handle a better card? Specs in sig

nuni727

I was thinking about upgrading my computer with a Nvidia 8800 GTS card but I'm wondering if it can run it. The computer's specs are in my sig.

Thanks

No, the power supply is way too underpowered to handle that card. You may be able to safely handle a GT430, which isn't too shabby. You might want to pick up some DDR2 memory as well, depending on what slots are empty on your machine now.

HI,just a little more information for you,if you are wanting to run the Nvidia Card you describe i would go for more ram minimum of 4 gig,however ram is so cheap at the moment although i run only a laptop i3 350m processsor i recently upgraded to the max that the R780 can take to 8gb dual channel 2x4gig sticks....ram will increase performance and therefore not rely on the cpu as much...you would also need at least a 750watt power supply as well.
Nvidia cards do not come cheap as we know...to go for the 430 bear in mind Trainz will run with that card,although not ideally suited for gaming, the Nvidia GT 570 would be a more excellent choice for graphics and performance,depending if you can afford one,i read about on the forums some months ago about the performance side of Nividia stuff,the graphics count like the 570 card has a highter rating than most please choose carefully the middle number relates to gpu performance like the 7 in the 570 card and from my recollections the middle number should be no less than 5 anything less and well u take your chance...

Hopefully this bit of extra info will help in making the right choice for a more suited experience on your Desktop...

Derek

BTW: looking for more ram http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/

Thanks for the help. I have yet another favor to ask, what should I do to upgrade my computer so it can run TS12? I can run an empty baseboard with a couple of locos on it but as soon as I place a speedtree the computer slows down. Sorry but I'm not that good with computers.

Consider getting a new one - and not an OEM (major manufacturer/prebuilt) but either assembling it yourself, or have a shop do it from a parts list supplied here.

Really, to do the job right, you pretty much will need to replace everything. If that's an option, I can supply a parts list based on what you can afford. Apart from that, do what I mentioned in my post: Get a GT430 and, if you see you have some memory slots free, buy enough memory to bring you up to 3 or 4Gb. You can probably do that for about $100, maybe quite a bit less if you can get the video card on rebate at Tigerdirect.com. A CPU upgrade would help too, but the CPUs that will work with your board are long out of production and a decent upgrade is about $200 for the CPU alone. All told, you can build a better machine for less.

Right now, I'm on a budget of under $500. If you could supply the parts list, that would be great. And thanks for the help.

Take a look at this kit:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1241992&CatId=4910

and add this card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7280354&CatId=3669

That will get you a good system under $500. If you can save up another $100 or so, you could get a better board and power supply, maybe video card too, but remember you have to bite the bullet at some point and if you keep thinking, "well, maybe for a little more I could get this" most people either won't buy or will end up with a $1,000 system.

Back