New Computer

stouthm

Get over it
I'm having a new computer built and I should have it in about a week. I know enough about computers to get myself in trouble so I'm wondering if there is a process/steps I need to do to transfer all the stuff from the older computer to the new one. Please, if you respond I need it dumbed down so that I might know what I'm doing. In other words, plain language and steps. Thank you.

You mean just Trainz stuff or everything? Understand that you cannot copy programs from one machine to another: programs must be installed, not copied. Data created within the programs can usually be copied w/o hassle, but sometimes the data needs to be reread by the program before it accepts it.

If you can be more specific about what you want to copy, we can be more specific on how to do it.

There are basically three ways. one is connect the two machines together either ethernet into your router or possibly Wi-Fi then set up a share on one computer and copy the data files across. It should be easy with windows but make sure you write the share name down and set the permissions to everyone read and write.

Second use an external hard drive and copy the data folder files to that then copy them onto the new machine, You can also use a USB stick if the data isn't large.

Third is transfer the internal hard drive from one machine to the other. I've done it but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing. On Some Dells a 5820 for example this is easy, the drives just plug in the front but turn the machine off before you move the drive.

Cheerio John

Thanks to both of you for the info. Another question. I'm guessing that I will have to reinstall TRS19 and then copy the files over but is it necessary to reinstall TANE also? Something in the recess of my brain tells me I should.

Thanks to both of you for the info. Another question. I'm guessing that I will have to reinstall TRS19 and then copy the files over but is it necessary to reinstall TANE also? Something in the recess of my brain tells me I should.
It depends if you want to run TANE or not. In TS19 trainz settings, install you'll find local data folder. Same for TANE. That's the one you want to back up and copy. If you're feeling rich or have an NVME 2 drive shove it on there. You can mount an NVME drive adapter in a spare PCI-e slot and most machines have one if you can't mount one directly. SSDs are odd, a larger SSD is more reliable than a small one.

Have fun.

Cheerio John

Thanks John. I'll be running TRS19 only but didn't Dave Snow delete his TANE and have major problems with 19?

Thanks John. I'll be running TRS19 only but didn't Dave Snow delete his TANE and have major problems with 19?
If you delete TANE from Microsoft apps N3V doesn't label TS19 as TS19 but as TANE so you may delete TS19 or TS22 by mistake. Don't use Microsoft apps to delete TANE and you're fine.

Cheerio John

John, please explain what you mean by Microsoft apps. Nominally I would just right click on the TANE icon and delete or go into Programs and hit delete.

I think he means uninstalling from the Programs and Features list, or Start-Settings-Installed Apps. If I go to Start-All apps, T:ANE and TRS19 are listed correctly in an N3V folder, but under Programs and Features or under Start-Settings-Installed Apps, they all list as T:ANE.

Forester1, good info there. If I click on Program Files, then N3V Games, right click on Trainz RR Simulator TRS19 is listed but not TANE. I'm thinking that I don't have to install TANE.

Back