Battleship Gons

Thats my favorite loco and will be one heck of a project for you. Hope your successful as I and many many others will love it.

Did all three design VGN cars use all three design bogeys or was one style bogey only used with one style car? In other words do I need to make 3 or 9 different cars total?

Ben

Usually would be the same for the entire run from the manufacturer. Best would be to research if the entire series of cars was made in several different runs and from different manufacturers.

IE (made up info)
run 1 - Magor Car co., andrews trucks, #20000-20999
run 2 - Magor car co., buckeye trucks, # 21000-21199
run 3 - Pressed Steel car co, buckeye trucks, #21200-21499
and on.

Details varied between manufacturer and production runs, but features were determined by railroad.

I'm getting a tad confused here.

Mikeman's photos shows three different car and bogey design all are numbered in the 50000 to 50003 range (ok I know there were lots more then 5 cars, lol).

SR6900's info seems to say they were numbered in the 20000 to 21499 range.

Perhaps I should make 9 different cars. All would be ingeractive and use the ARN system of numbering.

Ben:confused:

I'm getting a tad confused here.

Mikeman's photos shows three different car and bogey design all are numbered in the 50000 to 50003 range (ok I know there were lots more then 5 cars, lol).

SR6900's info seems to say they were numbered in the 20000 to 21499 range.

Perhaps I should make 9 different cars. All would be ingeractive and use the ARN system of numbering.

Ben:confused:

My info was made up. I noted that. Just for example of my point.

I will have to look into it further but I would believe you would be safe with 3 and not nine. Those were the three company's that produced gon's of that type for them. I would not think they would change Wheelsets between them though. Let me look into it though.

Ok, from just a bit of searching I found that those three were the First experimental versions that the Virginian had made. They used all of them but ordered from Pressed Steel in 1920 an additional Gondolas numbered 19000 to 19999

Last edited:
OK - I'll make a series with those numbers too (when get to it). Trying to finish up a bunch of requests first so I can tackle these. Clearing out the old pending projects pile, lol.

Ben

Back