Battleship Gons

N&W GKb inside length 44' 3", inside width 9' 6", inside height 6' 9 3/16", height to eaves 10' 4.5", capacity 2,843cu.ft. built 1916.
N&W GKd inside length 42' 5", inside width 10' 0', inside height 6' 10", capacity 2,908cu.ft., built 1928, capy 180,000, ld lim 193900, lt wt 59600R (do not know why it has an "R" at the end).
C&O 1,000 cars, numbers 100000 to 100999, built 1921, inside length 43' 3", inside width 10' 1", inside height 7' 5", capy 3,212cu.ft. or 182,000lb.
I have a set of plans for (GKd I think) and maybe the C&O one. All of them would have been gone by the 1940's due to corrosion.

Thanks gents.

Gadzooks - at first I had almost no info - now I have almost too much, lol.

It would appear I have a major rework to do to the VGN car. MR Mag said it was 65 ft long but the article cited above sez about 50. My car is way too long.

Any suitable bogeys on the DLS?

Ben

Been doing a little ratio-n-porportion work with a pair of dividers on the photos. Looks like:
1. The bogeys on the N&W cars are 10 ft wheelbase. Nothing like them on the DLS that I can find so I'll make them.
2. My original VGN gon is far too long. Fortunately I haven't uploaded it as yet since I'm trying to get the ARN system working on it with a modified script file so it not only has running numbers but interactivity with smoke and sound as well. 50 ft is correct according to the article cited above. I'll shorten it. There are some bogeys on the DLS that look to be quite close.
3. Looks like the GKB cars have flat topped ends but the GKD cars have sort of peaked topped ends.

Ben

You should get Raildriver's CD Car Builders Cyclopedia 1922, it has photos and plans for N&W, PRR, C&O, and VRG also the bogeys.

Many thanks for the info SR6900. I saved it all and printed some out. I'll probably make the little wooden hopper too (eventually. Not sure about the reefer. Perhaps after I clear my pending projects pile (its pretty big at the moment).

Ben

...from an addenda...

:cool:
VGN 50002 was one of four experimental gondolas built for the Virginian in 1917 numbered 50000 to 50003. Based upon its evaluation, the railroad purchased 1,000 120-ton cars from Pressed Steel in 1920 numbered 19000 to 19999. Each had an inside length of 49’ 6”, inside width of 10’ 3”, inside height of 7’ 4 ¾”, and capacity of 3,840 cubic feet. It subsequently purchased an additional 1,025 cars numbered 20000 to 21024.”

Last edited:
...double post...

:cool:
“VGN 50002 was one of four experimental gondolas built for the
Virginian in 1917 numbered 50000 to 50003. Based upon its evaluation, the railroad purchased 1,000 120-ton
cars from Pressed Steel in 1920 numbered 19000 to 19999. Each had an inside length of 49’ 6”, inside width
of 10’ 3”, inside height of 7’ 4 ¾”, and capacity of 3,840 cubic feet. It subsequently purchased an additional
1,025 cars numbered 20000 to 21024.”

Googled this...

Never re-skinned a thing in my life, lol. No idea how to go about it but thanks anyway and I'd rather make it myself - more fun that way (to me that is).

I will take a look at those bogeys tho. Might be a better choice then what I'm using.

Ben

EDIT: Not a better choice (I'm already using them, lol).

Last edited:
Last edited:
Thanks but I leave re-skinning to those that know how and enjoy doing it. My pending projects pile runneth over in any case.

The VGN one is done and tested. Interactive for coal and with the ARN system of numbering (but getting anything thru the upload process is a crap-shoot of late).

Ben

Ah, a momentary lapse of recognition...

:cool: Hello Ben, thanks for your contributions to the DLS, mine were deleted entirely over the Holidays(maybe caused by the fantasy B-units), but I'll try again later....

Your quest for the 411 on the 6-axle gons will remain in my mind as simply an adventure in both Internet research using Google & the fascination of railroading in History!

Thanks again,

Allen/Backyard

The upload process is still a mess. I got a bunch of rejections this morning. Nothing wrong with that of course if something is amiss but whats bad is none of them listed the name or kuid of the rejected item. How the heck can I fix them if I don't know which error goes with which item?

Furthermore a lot of the reasons for rejections were incomprehensible. Never seen them before. Is Auran starting to filter items for 2009 and 2010 only?

Ben

Hey Ben

I was wondering which version of bogies you used on the Virginian gondolas. As I have found out they had at least three different versions. At least three companys supplied The Virginian Railway with the 109 ton gondola. Pressed Steel, Standard Steel and Virginia Bridge and Iron Companys. As you can see the Bogies were very different.
vgn50000100tongonvers1.jpg
Press Steel version

vgn50002100tongonvers2.jpg
Standard Steel Version

vgn50003100tongonvers.jpg
Virginia Bridge and Iron

Thanks for the pics (I think, lol). So there were VGN cars with 3 different bogeys. I didnt know that. I'll print this photo out.

I have the VGN car done and tested with bogeys like the second photo.

I'll make the bogeys in the first photo and upload a second VGN battleship goes with them.

I have already made the bogeys in the third photo and will make a VGN car with them.

Near as I can find out the N&W cars used bogeys like in the third photo (and I just know you are going to tell me different, lol).

Ben

HAha no problem, I don't know a lot about the N & W so your safe.:D Now, about The Virginian Bridges and 2-10-10-2. Hahahha. Actually I am starting to learn Blender with the hopes of building a Virginian 2-10-10-2 at some point.

Back