Trainz and DRM

... Not saying [DRM] shouldn't be an issue but is that really the priority over lobbying the company to spend whatever money they are pledged, on creating a kickbutt train sim which will trump all the others and endure for years to come?
I believe there are quite a few Trainz users who'd rather switch to a completely different hobby than surrender to Steam and friends, me included.

I believe there are quite a few Trainz users who'd rather switch to a completely different hobby than surrender to Steam and friends, me included.

I absolutely love it when somebody takes the words right out of my mouth. Save's me having to write it... I guess the big questions is, are "they" listening ??? (probably not, but I've personally got to the stage where I know longer give a continental ___k)!!!

ONLY TIME WILL TELL...

(Been there, done that, with "Steam" and would prefer to take a sledge hammer to my computer, before I ever went back there)... And I'm not beep, beep s___ing ya!!!

Taking up "marbles" (or golf) is starting to look better by the day! :hehe:

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Sorry, I have to stop this. Wasn't it confirmed at least a dozen times T2 will also be sold through regular channels? The only thing that's STEAM exclusive is TWOR and that's to T2 what Trainz Driver was to TRS2006.

Hi All
As was in the main announcements for Trainz: A New Era, only Trainz World Of Rails is to be a Steam exclusive. T2/TANE will be sold through the normal methods via our shop.

Regards
Zec Murphy (posting from my personal account :) ).

:hehe:
Hi All
As was in the main announcements for Trainz: A New Era, only Trainz World Of Rails is to be a Steam exclusive. T2/TANE will be sold through the normal methods via our shop.

Regards Zec Murphy (posting from my personal account ).

Well, that's certainly reassuring. I'll go and put my sledge hammer back in my garden shed!!! (It looks like I maybe won't have to dust off my old golf clubs after all) :hehe: ...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
Even without an answer, it still seems extremely silly to me that a few of you would say:

"Well pending x level of DRM, I may or may not pledge a certain amount toward the Kickstarter campaign."

Which is fine if you wish to pledge or not. But it seems like you think you are holding something over N3Vs head by saying so. As I said in a very early post in this thread, it notes a total misunderstanding of what the kickstarter connection is all about. Not pledging is not going to stop Trainz in it's tracks, that isn't what the program is for. We are not being asked to pledge to get yet another Trainz game, but rather another Trainz game with some really advanced features that would otherwise just take longer to get. So withholding your $5 donation will not send N3V into oblivion with you standing at the edge saying "I told you so! DRM did this!" it will only slow the progression of Trainz. The remaining Trainz user will all survive without it and you if it comes down to that . Nobody but the alarmists have suggested switching entirely to Steam or invasive DRM. Keep positive about it, and lets move forward into the future. If you can't or are unwilling, then we will have to go on without you. No hard feelings.

I don't know why this has to be said, but I guess we need to go over the fairly obvious: It stands to reason that most of the folks who won't pledge to the TANE project out of concerns over DRM (virtually all, in my experience) also won't be buying the final game if it contains DRM, whether or not it has the much-ballyhooed TANE features. So, while withholding pledges to TANE might not doom Trainz, the exodus of users might. and even if it doesn't, a smart, logical business person would at least be concerned by the prospect of fewer customers buying their product.

Although RRSignal answered with his own un-official feelings, to questions that I had asked about DRM ...

I still am waiting for some real official answers to these questions, directly from N3V staff:
Getting back to the main point, I have some questions:

1) What exactly does DRM do for N3V ?

2) What advantage does DRM do for N3V ?

3) Why does N3V choose to use DRM in the first place (there must be some specific reasons) ?

4) Does DRM allow N3V to disable your DLC, if they find one abusing it's content, (file sharing, redistribution) ?

5) If only N3V went out of business, and only the N3V servers were "no more in existance", would DRM effect Trainz, and DLC assets ?

6) Is DRM used primarily to keep "Warez" users out of the Game ?
Just think of how excited, and supportive we all would be about TANE and WOR, if DRM nor Steam, was not going to be involved at all ... we would have nothing to complain about ... and we all would pledge 100% toward Kickstarter

if these answers were officially answered by N3V, they might get 100% support from the community

Last edited:
No ... I would be happy as a lark ... if these answers about N3V's intention of using DRM were answered ... I would be 100% supportive if DRM could not hurt the next version and DLC downloads

...the exodus of users might. and even if it doesn't, a smart, logical business person would at least be concerned by the prospect of fewer customers buying their product.

Because there will be no new users ever again. I think even single handledly I could at least get the amount of people interested in Trainz as those of you who think you can post a threat to 'walk'.

As I said, we will go on without you.

Because there will be no new users ever again. I think even single handledly I could at least get the amount of people interested in Trainz as those of you who think you can post a threat to 'walk'.

As I said, we will go on without you.

If you can really do that, why haven't you done so already?

But, sure, if it comes to pass that the new version incorporates DRM, please, by all means, do go on without me or others. I won't lose any sleep.

Although RRSignal answered with his own un-official feelings, to questions that I had asked about DRM ...

I still am waiting for some real official answers to these questions, directly from N3V staff:

Just think of how excited, and supportive we all would be about TANE and WOR, if DRM nor Steam, was not going to be involved at all ... we would have nothing to complain about ... and we all would pledge 100% toward Kickstarter

if these answers were officially answered by N3V, they might get 100% support from the community

I agree, but then again being the forums here someone would start a post about the fears of pledging and... Well you know what will happen. We'll end up with pages of dribble on the dribble about the dribble of nothing.

NS37 summed it up nicely. Sadly, he's making sense and not to many folks have listened to him except Martin and me it seems. :)

Typical of these forums, people will speculate on the speculation about anything.

John

Back