Trainz and DRM

Then why are you losing sleep now?

I'm not...seems a certain guy from JointedRail is the only one getting worked into a tizzy here...

I have no qualms about walking away from any game or software package. I've done it more times than I can count. In most cases, it saves me money.

To keep this thread from exploding (or continuing ad infinitum), the short answer is that the core product, Trainz: A New Era, will operate in a very similar way to every other previous version of Trainz - with a serial number registration. The longer answer (our "policy") on DRM will be released "soon". Why not now you ask? We need to word things correctly to avoid misunderstandings and conjecture about "what might happen if the sky falls down". For example, there never has been and is never likely to be any DRM on free DLS content.

I think I'll still wait for the long version. Words like "very similar" and "never likely to be" leave the door wide open.

I think I'll still wait for the long version. Words like "very similar" and "never likely to be" leave the door wide open.

Keeping the conspiracy and paranoia going!

Here you go, Joe and Paul. You can build your soapboxes. :D

I'm waiting to see what the full answer is soon(tm).

John

Keeping the conspiracy and paranoia going!

Here you go, Joe and Paul. You can build your soapboxes. :D

I'm waiting to see what the full answer is soon(tm).

John

Funny how even mods seem to be moving into the territory of suppressing those who dare to question blind fealty to N3V and Trainz...maybe the Run8 forums or some of the RW ones weren't so overbearing after all...

Yes, let's wait to hear the "long" story. Seems even you have advocated that position at some point...not to mentioned arguing against name-calling, etc...

Funny how even mods seem to be moving into the territory of suppressing those who dare to question blind fealty to N3V and Trainz...maybe the Run8 forums or some of the RW ones weren't so overbearing after all...

Yes, let's wait to hear the "long" story. Seems even you have advocated that position at some point...not to mentioned arguing against name-calling, etc...

The big fat answer is NO

We already know your opinion, but I would like to form my own. So having said this, I have stayed out of the fray as I want to see what the answer is from the people in the "know" before I make a decision. It's known as a method and part of the critical thinking and decision making process.

John

Funny how even mods seem to be moving into the territory of suppressing those who dare to question blind fealty to N3V and Trainz...

Hi RRSignal,

Mods are entitled to their opinions too. If you think that they are letting their personal opinions get in the way of their moderation duties, please contact me via PM with some concrete examples that I can follow up. I'm not aware of any such cases, but it's important that communications channels remain open if something does happen.

chris

The big fat answer is NO

We already know your opinion, but I would like to form my own. So having said this, I have stayed out of the fray as I want to see what the answer is from the people in the "know" before I make a decision. It's known as a method and part of the critical thinking and decision making process.

John

And, as you yourself have pointed out, we'll get the answer at a later date. Instead of browbeating others for stating opinions (oh, sorry, "speculating"...though it seems like some forms of speculation are permissible around here), why not wait for official word?

Hi RRSignal,

Mods are entitled to their opinions too. If you think that they are letting their personal opinions get in the way of their moderation duties, please contact me via PM with some concrete examples that I can follow up. I'm not aware of any such cases, but it's important that communications channels remain open if something does happen.

chris

Thank you, Chris for poking in.

Hopefully I answered Mr. RRS properly.

Regards,

John

I have no qualms about walking away from any game or software package. I've done it more times than I can count. In most cases, it saves me money.
Well i wish you would walk away and leave this all alone, No personal attack meant here but i'm really getting over constantly seeing your name and the rubbish you carry on with in the few thread's there are here on the new Game/Kickstarter/Engine whoossy ma whats it. We all know your opinion and enough is enough. The fact that your still allowed on here despite what you have done with your content on the DLS really make's me wonder why you bother turning up here at all. Give it up cause you are really turning me off this whole game.
Mick.

ok ok, that is enough... I know you are trying your best to 'troll' me and make me mad, but you are just not effective. You can stop now and quit dragging threads down with you. It was funny but you are going to get banned again or something. Plus you wouldn't want something you worked so hard for locked or deleted.

Last edited:
ok ok, that is enough... I know you are trying your best to 'troll' me and make me mad, but you are just not effective. You can stop now and quit dragging threads down with you. It was funny but you are going to get banned again or something. Plus you wouldn't want something you worked so hard for locked or deleted.

Lol, it's your issue that you're so easily worked up, not mine. I'm simply presenting comments, statements, and opinions based on fact, statements, trends, and even (gasp) speculation. That you cannot handle beliefs that differ from your own is purely your deal. Heck, I've even tried to let you have the last word (post #268 for example - even though I'd loved to have torn into you about your ego issues.)(Or, a subsequent post, #272 in which you claimed you could have instituted DRM - conveniently forgetting that YOU TRIED TO last year.)

If I really wanted to troll you or to place ad hominem attacks, I could have done so long ago and probably more eviscerating ones as well. That's not the purpose of this thread, even though you're providing ample fuel of your own.

But, I suspect your end-goal - you're pro-(or, at least, neutral) DRM and am hoping to escalate the fighting so as to get this thread locked, which is why you can't leave things alone and feel the need to foam at every post that does not agree with your viewpoint.

Last edited:
Wow man, the world you live in... There is just no response to how paranoid you are. Funny, yet sad at the same time.

Back at you tenfold, as you've proven here, except I've had the misfortune of meeting you in person and, well...I'm avoiding personal attacks.

Carry on. Anyone got some popcorn?

Hi guys,

Love you both, but this ends here please. This is a useful thread for making sure that everybody understands the issues at stake, and I don't want to have to close it off. Please go take a break for an hour or so and have a refreshing beverage-of-choice. :cool:

chris

Back