Trainz and DRM

Problem is John - that many folk would be willing/not willing to donate funds based on that answer. I know there are a lot of folk that are heated up over this but just maybe it needs answering earlier rather than later.

...we should wait for the official word from N3V. Didn't Tony say something on this line a few pages back?

Seriously guys, you have rehashed the rehash on the same subject.

John

I've been following this thread on and off and wondering the same thing. People are frothing at the keyboard here without having seen an unambiguous statement from N3V (unless I've missed the same?) on the subject of DRM. So far it's all worst case scenario but I'm not going to make an opinion until I've seen some hard facts on which to base one. Perhaps everyone else should do the same until there's something concrete to go on?

Getting back to the main point, I have some questions:

1) What exactly does DRM do for N3V ?

2) What advantage does DRM do for N3V ?

3) Why does N3V choose to use DRM in the first place (there must be some specific reasons) ?

4) Does DRM allow N3V to disable your DLC, if they find one abusing it's content, (file sharing, redistribution) ?

5) If only N3V went out of business, and only the N3V servers were "no more in existance", would DRM effect Trainz, and DLC assets ?

6) Is DRM used primarily to keep "Warez" users out of the Game ?

Last edited:
Getting back to the main point, I have some questions:

What exactly does DRM do for N3V ?

The stated purpose is to prevent piracy/warez versions. A by-product, and more important purpose for some other companies, is that it, for example, allows them to turn off old versions of software.

Why does N3V choose to use DRM in the first place (there must be some specific reasons) ?

I seem to recall someone uploading N3V DLC to the DLS.

Does DMR allow N3V to disable your DLC, if they find one abusing it's content, (file sharing, redistribution) ?

Do you mean on a case-by-case basis? Unknown.

If only N3V went out of business, and only the N3V servers were "no more in existance", would DRM effect Trainz, and DLC assets ?

As of TS12 with the SP1 patch, yes, your DLC will stop functioning after a while, at most, a month. Windwalkr confirmed this above in his reply to your earlier post. But, your game will still function. Now, IF N3V installs DRM to cover the entire game, whether they do it in the next version, next patch, whatever, then, yes, your game might stop working entirely. The purpose of this thread was to find out if N3V is planning on implementing game-wide DRM at some point. Tony Hilliam did not give a definite response, other than to keep waiting for an official answer at some point.

If this thread gets locked where am I going to get my daily fix of paranoia?

Paul

Maybe time for me to return to Trainz to discuss driveable sailing ships, horse drawn barges on the canal systems c1800-c1830...in Trainz train simulator:);)

Debating the pros/cons of DRM is entirely valid IMHO.

It might give N3V some idea on the feelings of their potential future customer base and could influence any final decision, if you have something valid to add to the discussion.

“Wait and see”, isn't necessarily the best option.

Debating the pros/cons of DRM is entirely valid IMHO.

It might give N3V some idea on the feelings of their potential future customer base and could influence any final decision if you have something valid to add to the discussion.

“Wait and see”, isn't necessarily the best option.

I agree. There is nothing wrong with good a debate, but ad hominem attacks don't do any good and actually can weaken the validity of one's point of view. :)

At this point, we can only say what we think and suppose without knowing the facts. Let's hope we hear something sooner than later on the subject as that would put a lot of the supposing to rest.

John

If only N3V went out of business, and only the N3V servers were "no more in existance", would DRM effect Trainz, and DLC assets ?

I suspect that would create rather greater issues than what type of/whether N3V will DRM the next release! You could probably reinstall TS12 (and certainly earlier versions which just require the serial number) and use as is ad infinitum with the content on the disks, but lack of a DLS for all its faults would be like a nuclear bomb dropped in the title.

Except for those lucky / talented few who make their own. I also think some of the 3rd party sites will step up to the plate and offer some kind of asset storage and sharing. Maintaining a full fledged DLS is not cheap so it might not be on the same scale in the worst case situation, but something is better than nothing.

Is it me or is it a bit disconcerting in what people see as their priorities, that the TANE thread has dropped off the front page with the main topic of concern being the DRM. Not saying it shouldn't be an issue but is that really the priority over lobbying the company to spend whatever money they are pledged, on creating a kickbutt train sim which will trump all the others and endure for years to come?

Is it me or is it a bit disconcerting in what people see as their priorities, that the TANE thread has dropped off the front page with the main topic of concern being the DRM. Not saying it shouldn't be an issue but is that really the priority over lobbying the company to spend whatever money they are pledged, on creating a kickbutt train sim which will trump all the others and endure for years to come?

With DRM, that is

Is it me or ...
until they release more information about what will happen and what they hope to will happen, there comes a point when we're just piling speculation upon speculation. Some might find that a fun game in itself but that now that the initial thoughts have been posted, serious posting will restart next week once the KickStarter project is launched.

Not disconcerting one bit. MANY folks who have not posted publicly, for fear of ridicule, have let me know that they will not be pledging a single penny until N3V issue a statement on the intended implementation of DRM in future Trainz products, the core game and DLC alike.

Sadly for them, N3V seems to have not thought this through thoroughly enough.

Hey Tony, Chris and N3v et al; My money is quite happy in my pocket and/or my bank. If you want some of it, you're gonna have to work for it. Start with honest, straight forward answers.

DRM! TANE! KICKSTART! Whatever happened to Trainz?
I feel sooooooo..........................................................................................................................................................................................................old!

Back