For the Serious Model Maker

daviday

Hi All

Stumbled on this site which gives you great stuff if your into making a Model Railway based on your favorite 'Trainz' route !

Check it out here..... Model Railway Club

Daviday

Last edited:
My preference goes the other way - to use a model railway plan as the basis for a Trainz route, using the enormous possibilities offered by Trainz.

Why? Each baseboard in Trainz represents 720 x 720 metres in real life. Uwing the common 4mm to 1 foot used in the UK (often approximated to 1:72 although really 1:76) this would require a model railway measuring 10 metre by 10 metres. The largest common layout - let's say in a double garage - would only need a small fraction of a Trainz baseboard and would look silly.

But a good layout to correct proportions, perhaps using model railway staion plans, with correct track lengths and properly spaced several miles apart, is quite feasible in Trainz.

Each to his/her own!

Ray

Well, it could be entertaining, but I'm not paying for it!

Well, I see you have about all the 'Trainz' Editions, did you not pay for these !?

This is like a Magazine Subscription ie: "Railway Modeller" Magazine, but also has the added advantage that you get Video Tutorials Too !

Trains offers all the advantages of model railroading, plus; with little expense.

I certainly agree with you there :)
Trainz does have that advantage if you don't have the room for a Model Railway, also the benefit of realism !
If you also have the room and like the physical option too then this is ideal for the enthusiast.

I certainly agree with you there :)
Trainz does have that advantage if you don't have the room for a Model Railway, also the benefit of realism !
If you also have the room and like the physical option too then this is ideal for the enthusiast.

I agree, David. Plus the added benefits are little or now waste and no mess. There's nothing like spilling plaster on the floor and getting the dust tracked throught the house by the dog, or spending hours on a track plan, only to have it fall apart because the foam board had some issue with the glue.

John

Well, I see you have about all the 'Trainz' Editions, did you not pay for these !?

I did indeed, but that's my choice. I choose not to pay for this, but thanks all the same for bring it to our attention. Someone else may be willing to pay for it.

Yeah I can't see that business model working very well. The link really didn't peak my interest enough to consider paying for it. All that information including videos is easily available for free.

Most of these sites are done by the same person, there are many sites claiming to sell model railroading books/tips/videos etc. But most are nearly worthless and some are even a scam. If you don't believe me, try to look at the IP adresses, they are located in Russia, msot if not all of them.

I don't know about this site, so I can't say if it's a scam or not but the design/layout is pretty similar to these others. I could be wrong though, but be carefull.

I agree, David. Plus the added benefits are little or now waste and no mess. There's nothing like spilling plaster on the floor and getting the dust tracked throught the house by the dog, or spending hours on a track plan, only to have it fall apart because the foam board had some issue with the glue.

John

Yes your right there John, I have spent many years building Model Railways and went through all the problems associated with building them !
Mind you I did learn a lot of skills in Model Making and also Electrics, which the later gave me a good foundation in Electronics.
I never really had much space when I first started, I was young then, living with my Family and due to lack of room I ended up building an 'N' Gauge Layout. Working in this scale is very finicky to say the least , plus was expensive then as there were not many suppliers that specialized in this gauge.
Thank goodness 'Trainz' came about, it certainly solved all our problems :)
Daviday

Back