Question: replaceing assets in layouts by editing layout cfg.

xcrossi

Hi:
I have 4 identical sandstone3 textures .
by 4 authors
In 8 different layouts.
Ok.. I know from experience if I open layout in explorer and change a asset kuid,
in this case Sandstone 3 and commit the layout becomes corrupted.

Using the built-in replace option is not useful in this case.
You see I would like change the layouts to just 1 sandstone3
and many other identical ground textures.and replace all the terrible moving trees with HZ stationary trees.

What method would I use to edit the config.txt and not corrupt the layout
Gerry

It is a very bad idea to modify the config.txt in that fashion, since the information is actually stored in the other files that make up a route asset.

As you mentioned, the replace assets tool is the only way of properly doing this - the best way of doing it is to use an intermediate texture to replace the other textures, then replace that texture by the desired one.

As for the trees, you would have to do the same.

Shane

Presumeably not all the sandstone3 textures are built-in. The ones that are not could be renamed in CM then you would be able to use the replace assets tool knowing that you are replacing the extra ones with the built-in one or the one of your choice.

Due to a bug, using the replace assets tool in TS12 on textures creates very deep holes all over the textured area, far safer to just re-texture with the correct texture rather than spend many hours repairing the damage.

Presumeably not all the sandstone3 textures are built-in. The ones that are not could be renamed in CM then you would be able to use the replace assets tool knowing that you are replacing the extra ones with the built-in one or the one of your choice.

Now thats a good idea.....
Saveing in my notebook....

Darn it why didn't think of that....AH..DUH..

Thanks
Gerry

AS mentioned above, don't use the Replace Asset tool to replace ground textures, there is a bug that will corrupt the ground surface of the route...

don't use the Replace Asset tool to replace ground textures, there is a bug that will corrupt the ground surface of the route...
Funny story:
Last night I discovered a weird phenomenon on my WIP route that I would describe the same way as this bug.
I am so "lucky" that my last back-up if of January 2nd and that I had some extra time to build since then. O well, I guess I get some extra practice redoing those 12 or so baseboards.

That 'hole' bug also afflicts TS2010, so I guess N3V don't know how to fix it.

The other problem in using Replace Assets with ground textures is that it doesn't preserve the rotation, scaling and blending from the original texture. You end up with a very coarse, tiled appearance. It's not a very well-designed feature.

Hi:
I have 4 identical sandstone3 textures .
by 4 authors
In 8 different layouts.
Ok.. I know from experience if I open layout in explorer and change a asset kuid,
in this case Sandstone 3 and commit the layout becomes corrupted.

Using the built-in replace option is not useful in this case.
You see I would like change the layouts to just 1 sandstone3
and many other identical ground textures.and replace all the terrible moving trees with HZ stationary trees.

What method would I use to edit the config.txt and not corrupt the layout
Gerry

Gerry

Tell me if this would not work (at least for your local copies of these layouts) - choose an instance of Sandstone 3 that you prefer, edit the obsolete-table in it's config, adding the kuids of all the other clones of the same texture so it will make them obsolete. You might then need to open and save the layouts a couple of times to make sure the obsoletes are replaced by the one you want.

It's interesting that you are reviving this topic. If you look hard I think you will find more than 4 clones and near-clones of the same texture. They don't all use the same name, so I used a little program called DupDetector to find all the duplicates and near-duplicates of the image used in this texture. I found that other textures from the original author (whoever that was) have suffered the same treatment. I drew attention to the copyright issues, plagiarism and uncreative waste of resources many years ago, but was basically told to shut up, so I did.

~ D

That 'hole' bug also afflicts TS2010, so I guess N3V don't know how to fix it.

The other problem in using Replace Assets with ground textures is that it doesn't preserve the rotation, scaling and blending from the original texture. You end up with a very coarse, tiled appearance. It's not a very well-designed feature.

There's a "Replace texture direction and scale" option in the Replace Assets dialog; I wonder if enabling it (or disabling it if it is already enabled) would help.

I use TS2010, and I've used the Replace Assets feature to replace textures occasionally, such as ballast textures, and have not noticed any holes in my routes yet. Maybe I'm just lucky.

The 'bug' is not repeatable, which is probably why it isn't fixed. It afflicts bigger routes more than smaller routes and seems to attack areas where two or more textures are blended, which is why it shows up a lot trackside where the ballast texture is blended into the surrounding scenery. That the 'bug' exists in both TS10 and Ts12 is beyond dispute.

On smaller routes it is not a big issue even if it does strike. After texture replacement certain areas may appear as black 'smudges'. If these areas are re-textured before saving all will be good. If the route is saved though the black 'smudges' become deep pits with their center at elevation '0'. The problem with bigger routes is spotting all the smudges before saving, on smaller routes (a) the bug is less likely to strike and (b) spotting all - if any - 'smudges' is easier.....

Try this to get rid of black smudges:
Use the Get texture "G" tool on the middle of the smudge; then drag the texture it identifies into both sides of the Replace assets window (so you are replacing this texture with itself).
You can clear large routes at a stroke. If any smudges remain (due to other problem textures) repeat.

My smudges appeared after importing a large route from TC3 into TS12.

Try this to get rid of black smudges:
Use the Get texture "G" tool on the middle of the smudge; then drag the texture it identifies into both sides of the Replace assets window (so you are replacing this texture with itself).
You can clear large routes at a stroke. If any smudges remain (due to other problem textures) repeat.

My smudges appeared after importing a large route from TC3 into TS12.

The 'smudge' present after using 'Replace Asset' is not a ground texture and does not respond to the 'Get Texture' tool. Whatever happened to your import, it wasn't the same thing.....

The 'bug' is not repeatable, which is probably why it isn't fixed. It afflicts bigger routes more than smaller routes and seems to attack areas where two or more textures are blended, which is why it shows up a lot trackside where the ballast texture is blended into the surrounding scenery. That the 'bug' exists in both TS10 and Ts12 is beyond dispute.

On smaller routes it is not a big issue even if it does strike. After texture replacement certain areas may appear as black 'smudges'. If these areas are re-textured before saving all will be good. If the route is saved though the black 'smudges' become deep pits with their center at elevation '0'. The problem with bigger routes is spotting all the smudges before saving, on smaller routes (a) the bug is less likely to strike and (b) spotting all - if any - 'smudges' is easier.....

Ah, I see. Thanks for the information. My personal routes are far from complete and my terrain is made by hand in Surveyor, so there aren't (yet) as many baseboards as a DEM route, for example, might have, and most of the terrain has not yet been textured. Reckon I'll keep an eye out though; don't want to run into any abandoned explosives as I continue to build my logging railway further into the high country!

Back